Thread: Thoughts on a GT ID-XC

Thoughts on a GT ID-XC

I'm thinking of getting a '05 GT IDXC 1.0 for $1500.00 new. I really like the bike. It's a fs cross-country. I'm not too sure about the shifters though. They are integrated into the breaks. You can push up/down to shift, as well as use the thumb trigger. It's a little different. All in all it seems to be a good bike, but being new to it all I'm not sure if GT is a good idea to get. If anyone has any thoughts/comments before I go make the big purchase let me know. I'd like to hear what ya'll have to say.

http://gtbikes.com/mountain/catalog/...usa&brand=moun

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

G.T. no longer stands for Gary Turner

As a guy who remembers Gary building Chromoly BMX frames in his garage, it makes me sick to say it, but...

G.T. was bought by Pacific bicycles a few years ago. Pacific's other labels like Next, Magna, Mongoose (another bummer), and etc are generally sold at blah-Mart type places. I HOPE you're buyin' at a REAL shop, in which case your bike will at least be built by someone with a clue, But warranty issues are probably going to SUCK for you.

As for the goofy brake/shift levers and backwards rear derailleur, a good shop will usually swap them out for normal stuff for little or no extra cost. I recomend it HIGHLY. The only people who seem to like those things are roadie leg-shavers who are used to Road STI levers.

Hey, are you gonna come ride with us on the 4th in Price? We're riding out of Pioneer Park At 10:AM SHARP. Hope to see you.
    SCREW SEA OTTER!!!!!!! http://FuzzysBicycleworks.com

Alright,
    Fuzzy says that only roadies like the new shifters, I love them and hate rode biking. I was a little hesitant at first but they are much easier and much more efficient to use than rapid fire in my opinion. I would recommend them to anyone and if you do get them make sure that you remove the thumb shifter, it is useless. All of the pro riders are using them and they have had great reviews if you dig into it, but from a personal standpoint and from someone who liked rapid fire, get them. Let me know if you have any other questions regarding the shifters. Now on the GT, my friend had one and the frame cracked, you can get a better bike for the money. Good luck!!

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

I bit the bullet

I decided to bite the bullet and just get it. The components are pretty good, so I wasn't too concerned about that. The biggest question was the frame. After reading some pretty good reviews, I decided I'd go ahead and get it. I picked it up at 50/50 in Layton. It's a pretty cool shop, co-owned by Fuzzy Hall (any relation to fuzzy thebikeguy?).

Re: I bit the bullet

Quote Originally Posted by KillEmAll
    I decided to bite the bullet and just get it. The components are pretty good, so I wasn't too concerned about that. The biggest question was the frame. After reading some pretty good reviews, I decided I'd go ahead and get it. I picked it up at 50/50 in Layton. It's a pretty cool shop, co-owned by Fuzzy Hall (any relation to fuzzy thebikeguy?).
    SWEET!!!! Time to get out and ride! I smell a trip to Moab coming on.

Re: I bit the bullet

Quote Originally Posted by KillEmAll
    I picked it up at 50/50 in Layton. It's a pretty cool shop, co-owned by Fuzzy Hall (any relation to fuzzy thebikeguy?).
    Hey, accadacca. I think Fuzzy Hall was the guy that Dale (Majors) was wondering about.

KillEmAll is saying he lives in Kaysville.

TR: first ride on the GT

Well, the first time out wasn't a memorable one. Had a snafu with the frame. The frame is a little different, incorporating a the i-drive system. When it works right it's awesome. When it fails, it sends you home. The piece that houses the pedals is separate from the main frame, and a piece called the "flexbone" keeps the housing somewhat stationary, but allowing for a slight bit of flexibility. Every posting I've read about it said to be sure and put some lock-tite on it on the screws that hold the flexbone in place. Well, I didn't listen and a mile into the ride the bolt came out just far enough that when my pedal hit a rock, the force snapped the bolt, leaving the pedal housing to move freely on it's pivot. I was able to ride it out, but I couldn't have gone too far. Now I have a bolt that's going to have to be drilled out. And it leaves me second guessing my decision on getting the bike. I'm going to give it another chance. Sombeech took a few photos that I'll post as soon as he emails them to me. Maybe I'm just getting the kinks out right away. Oh, and I got a flat! WTF! Not a good day. I guess I'll be pickin' me up some better tubes. All in all though, the bike felt awesome. Love the hydraulics. Love the shifters. Love the suspension and weight of the bike. Hopefully the next trail report will be a better one.

new bike + 1st ride = limped home, flat tire.

I would watch that close and make the shop put it right. $1500 is not chump change. I could find a half dozen other bikes for that price and 2 or 3 that I would prefer over the GT. Especially with the early signs that you are having. It would seem that the assembly was poor. I would seriously consider taking it back if I was you.

I took it down there, they fixed it Saturday. These bikes are notorious for this, so I should have listened to the warnings. It could have saved me a trip to the shop. They made things right though. I'm willing to give it another shot. They took out the bolts and put in some heavier duty ones and put some lock tite on it. I had checked to make sure it was tight a few days before it came 3/4 way out and snapped, so I don't think it's an assembly problem since it was tight when I got it (unless not using lock-tite is considered an assembly problem which you could certainly argue that one). It just has a tendency to loosen.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hmmm...that sounded much worse from the initial post. That doesn't look bad seeing the picture. So did you get all the components listed in the link? Full XT derailleurs, shifters/brakes, hubs, crank, etc. Then eggbeaters?

all the components

Yeah, it was hard to explain in the post. I thought the photo would clear it up a bit. Just a simple bolt (it came with the same bolts used for water bottles ).
    It came with all the components listed, including the egg beaters. I swapped 'em out for regular pedals though. I just see/hear too many stories about em. When I get a better I'll probably give em a try.

it came with the same bolts used for water bottles
    I better clear that up... it was the same bottle used for water bottle cages, not water bottles themselves. That would be plastic.

It sounds like you got some really good components. I have you beat in derailleurs though. I have XTR front and rear. Other than that you have me beat everywhere.

I would defiantly hold onto the eggbeaters. I have the time atac pedals and I really like them. The eggbeaters are supposed to be awesome and I would like to try them. Does your rear shock lock out? What about the front?