Thread: Deseret Peak (Tooele County)

Deseret Peak (Tooele County)

To kick off my goal to hike the highest peaks in all of the 29 counties in Utah, I'll be attempting Deseret Peak (11,031 feet) in Tooele County this weekend.

Look for pics sometime next week!!

I'll be ranking my Peak hikes according to:

-Accessibility
    -Views from the top
    -Scenery on the trail
    -Difficulty
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

So how hard is the climb? I will search around for a link? Unless you have an info page?

It's not that hard at all, but I'll bet there's plenty of snow still up there. The stream crossing might be fun.

I wouldn't do Deseret yet. (Hey that rhymes!) Most years the 4th of July weekend is the kickoff of the Utah

Ok, so I logged on late friday night, and read James's advice, and decided he's probably right. I decided not to do Deseret Peak, and I'm glad I didn't!! I ended up doing Thurston Peak, and there was still quite a bit of snow up there. I can't image how much snow must still be on Deseret Peak!!

Hey James, we're lookin to do Olympus on July 9th - wanna come?

I did Deseret in early June.....

There was snow from about the stream crossing to the top. We started early in the morning, and did not post hole at all. Sliding down the snow made for a faster route out. Very nice. I think about 5 hours car-to-car, but we did some self-arrest practice on the way out.

I did Thurston a couple of weeks ago, and the snow was more difficult on it then on Deseret. (Because it was softer.) 3 hours car-to-car on Thurston.

Looks like were on the same schedule rockgremlin. What you working on next? Nebo's pretty high on my list now if I can ever find a free wekend.

I'm thinkin anything close to SLC right now. Tomorrow its Olympus, then in August it will be Twin Peaks, Deseret, and Nebo. I'd like to hit Timp also.

Last year I did East Mountain, and Monument Peak (RREEEAALL HARD! )

Hey rockgremlin,

Thanks for the invite, sorry for the late reply. Saturdays are no good for me. My wife works 10 to 6 and I am stuck watching the kid. The only exception is when I go out of town for the weekend, then I find someone to watch my kid for me. Saturdays are better for chores anyway. So if you

I usually do a winter ascent of Deseret Peak, at least I have for the last couple of years. We typically snowshoe up above the pass. Avalanche danger can be an issue, but it's a great mountain. I'd like to skin up the basin in the winter, and ski down. It would be a blast.