Thread: Mount Olympus

Mount Olympus

Took a day trip up Mount Olympus today, great hike. Sorry, no pics cause my dad took the camera with him to Nebraska. I almost died coming back down off the summit, i had to downclimb these cliffs because i sort of lost the trail. If you are going to climb this trail, i have two recommendations. First, bring lots of insect repellent, strong stuff with DEET too, because the flies up there are terrible. Second, when climbing the last rocky portion up to the summit, be sure to stay on the trail, the same holds true for going back down. That will save you a lot of potential danger that you probably don't really want.
    Some days all you can do is smile and wait for some kind soul to come pull your ass out of the bind you've gotten yourself into

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow! How much snow did you encounter? I would like to hike timp or lone peak as soon as possible.

Ya, Olympus is definitely on my to-do list this year. Thanks for the heads up!!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Did you make it to the top? I am considering this hike for Saturday.

Re: Mount Olympus

Quote Originally Posted by crazy horse
    Second, when climbing the last rocky portion up to the summit, be sure to stay on the trail, the same holds true for going back down. That will save you a lot of potential danger that you probably don't really want.
    Oh you don't know some of us very well then My out-of trail experiences are always some of my favorites, although I admit they can be scary...

Ya, I don't think it should be too much of a problem. I'm down with either Olympus or Grandeur. Olympus would definitely be more appealing.

Hey Benny - why not come with?

You talking tomorrow? A little too short of notice... But some other time, send me the details. I heard Twin is good too.

Quote Originally Posted by rock_ski_cowboy
    I heard Twin is good too.
    Hmmm.....Looks like a lot of snow up there to me? What have you heard exactly? That would be cool too.

At 11,500 feet, I would guess Twin Peaks is snowed out still.

I think Olympus would be a good one for right now. C'mon Benny, what're ya gonna do tomorrow anyways besides sit and watch the wallpaper peel?

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    C'mon Benny, what're ya gonna do tomorrow anyways besides sit and watch the wallpaper peel?
    Probably chasing loose women.

This trip just got rescheduled. I even had my lunch made already! I guess rockgremlin didn't have all his ducks in a row. It is now penciled for July 9th. If enough snow is gone we may consider hiking twin peaks instead.

until then.............

Yeah, there's not really any snow on the trail, and I went all the way up. As for the off the trail excursions on the cliffs near the summit, definately one of the most fun parts of the climb, but probably the scariest too.
    Some days all you can do is smile and wait for some kind soul to come pull your ass out of the bind you've gotten yourself into

Ya, I made the mistake of speaking before thinking (I'm good at that), and I didn't remember some plans my wife and I had made previously.

But, unless the end of the world comes before July 9th, not even a team of wild horses could keep me from doing the hike.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    This trip just got rescheduled. I even had my lunch made already! I guess rockgremlin didn't have all his ducks in a row. It is now penciled for July 9th. If enough snow is gone we may consider hiking twin peaks instead.

until then.............
    Well As far as the Loose Women thing goes. Do you blame me?

July 9th? I'm 100% down if i don't end up canyoneering.

Hey Benny,

Didn't you say that you hike Mount Nebo like once a year or something like that? If so, I'd like to tag along the next time you hit it.

Nebo's in the same boat as Timp, Lone, and Twin... lotta snow up there still. One of these years I'm going to get some crampons, ice tools, and some avalanche skills and just go for it... Seems like it would be quite interesting to climb some of these peaks in the early summer/spring.

Anyhow... yeah, Nebo from the North Side isn't all that difficult. About a half day round trip if you're in shape. Last year we started about 6:15 pm and were on top by 8:30 but we were pushing it hard. Hiked back in the dark with headlamps. Pretty cool.