Thread: What did you do for Memorial Day Weekend?

What did you do for Memorial Day Weekend?

I didn

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Took a test for Summer Semester on Saturday morning. It was the Memorial weekend dream.

Did some yard work, another sought after activity.

On monday, I sat inside, feeling sorry for everybody who had outdoor plans ruined by the rain.

Other than that, it was just a good chance to relax. We had hit the St George bike trails the weekend before,
    http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=410

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=411
    so this was a good time to sit back and nap a little.

DickHead
    Um, I worked.
    Friday night from 1400-2200, Saturday morning from 0700-1500, Sunday 0600-1400, rode the kid around in his bike trailer for about an hour, Monday 0700-1500 (Holiday pay, baby!). I did swing by a BBQ my wife's church's Pastor was having, expecting some people I know (Wife swore they'd be there) and finding nobody I knew 'cept the Pastor. Wife's out of town so its just me and the kid right now.

Memorial Day Trip Report: Red Canyon

Friday: Me and the GF headed out early friday afternoon with the Jeep loaded for bear and the bikes on back. Destination: Red Canyon. Set up camp, feasted on marinated chicken with a nice pasta side and a couple of dark beers, and had a relaxing evening.

Saturday: Got up and chowed on a bacon/egg breakfast, then headed out on the MTB to ride the Thunder Mountain trail. If you have never done this one, you need to add it to your list. I'd been before, but it was a first for the GF and she was blown away. Not horribly technical (some tight switchies and some nice grunts up the hills) but one of the most scenic trails in Utah. From the Coyote Hollow Trailhead, you first ride through the pine forest with hints of red rock - only to emerge through some hills into the hoodoo's of Red Canyon, where you bomb along some of the ridgelines and through more hoodoos & washes. Truly awesome. We then hooked up with some friends at camp, relaxed & chilled with some steaks on the BBQ, potatoes with about a pound of butter and garlic cooked in foil on the fire, and a few glasses of red wine. Spectacular!

Sunday: While friends & their kids did the paved bike trail and some hiking, we headed up Losee Canyon, then where it meets Cassidy Trail we took the spur up over to Casto Canyon - grunted up the hill, took in the scenery, and then bombed back down to the junction - where we then rode the other part of Cassidy Trail back to Red Canyon - we then turned into the kid sitters while our friends headed out for Thunder Mountain trail - first time for both of them, and they were duly impressed. After munching some stuffed burgers (two patties sandwiching blue cheese & bacon inside them) we managed to kill most of a bottle of gin that evening as the kids were shagged and went off to bed without a peep. We got about 10 minutes of rain before we had dinner, but otherwise a perfect day.

Monday: My buddy and I got up early, dusted off the cobwebs, and headed out for a reverse ride of what my GF and I had done yesterday, without the spur up Cassidy trail. Shortly after that, breakfast of blueberry pancakes & sausages was polished off and we packed up camp. The GF and I decided we'd ride Thunder Mountain again (she was just getting used to some new disc brakes we put on her bike) so we rode it, took pics, and just soaked it all in. After a shower back at the campground, we hit the road - not much traffic until we got to Provo area, but even then it wasn't horrible. Just a bit of rain on the drive back before Spanish Fork.

We then found out later on the news (and by some of the telltale signs of heavy rain around home) that there was more flooding, and huge amounts of rain up north. We managed to avoid all of that, and have a rippin' good time.

All I gotta say is what an incredible state we live in (which is the whole point of this website, right!!) and that good times and good friends are what I live for.

Cheers!

Re: Memorial Day Trip Report: Red Canyon

Quote Originally Posted by theprof
    but one of the most scenic trails in Utah.
    Dude, I hope you brought your camera!

ya, I did... but forgot to upload the pics. I'll try to post a couple for you guys tomorrow, or later tonight - once I get my act together!

Sweet! That sounds like a really cool trail to hit. We'd love to see the pictures.

All I can say prof is WHAT A GF!!!!! I am married now but I never had that good of luck with a GF. You da man!!! High fives all around! Sounds like you had a kick butt weekend. It is now a must do trail for me. You guys probably ate better than I did at home.

Thanks for your report. I really enjoyed it and glad to hear that the traffic, weather, and crowds were ok. Again I cant get over that GF.........You dog! Getting used to the new disc brakes!!!!!

Yeah be sure to post a full trip report with your pictures in the Mt. Bike section. When you get a chance. I will use your report to plan my trip.

Annual Redneck camp on the blue mountains with freinds and family. Saturday morning I rode from Nizhoni to Beef Basin on dirt roads. It was 79 miles and 2 3/4 hours round trip with unbelievable views in some of the most remote parts of utah. Also a few other short rides with the family on some cool trails with no names. Moab was a zoo this weekend as I drove through friday and monday (Blue mountains are 70 miles south of moab).
    My camera sucks and my photo skills are worse but here are a few. these views are so much better than the pics show.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

All I gotta say is what an incredible state we live in
    This is so true! We are lucky!

Thanks for the pictures man. The two pictures with Canyonlands in the background are sweet! Looks like my kinda place for a holiday weekend. Nice avatar........

Hey looks like you could get in on the helmet chat: http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=304

Friday: Went to a BBQ at some dudes place. It was cool, but his wife kept hitting on me! Pretty good food though. And it was all the more relaxing knowing I didn't have a 3-hour drive ahead of me.

Saturday: Bummed around indoors. Later that night played Halo2 with some friends until 4:30am on sunday.

Sunday: Feeling hungover from lack of sleep. More bumming around. More Halo2 that night.

Monday: went to a family BBQ at the in-laws place.

Nice and relaxing!!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Hey looks like you could get in on the helmet chat

I almost always wear, this was with the family going slow (waiting for the wife and kid on a fourwheeler)(they were wearing helmets). I bet helmets would be a good thread in motorbiking section.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Later that night played Halo2 with some friends until 4:30am on sunday.
    More Halo2 that night.
    What's your board of choice?
    We're Zanzibar fans, with the "1 flag Offense-Defense" rules.
    Also, you've got to love Coagulation-Blood Gulch. It's the ultimate CTF board. Gotta have those tanks!

Ya, the 1-flag offense/defense on zanzibar is a favorite of ours too. Headshots with magnums is also fun. We play as much Team Slayer as we can (3v3, 4v4, or 5v5). Of all the boards, I like Ivory Tower, Beaver Creek, and Zanzibar best.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Yeah, Ivory Tower is a good Slayer board. My favorite Slayer board is Midship, for Halo 2.
    Halo 1 favorite Slayer board was Wizard.

Hey, we've got to get a Halo thread started.

Look for it in General Discussion.