Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Fork Robber's Roost

North Fork Robber's Roost

These are a few pics from our trip to N. Fork RR a week ago. I didn't have my digicam on me. Instead I brought down my medium format camera. I just barely got these digitized, so I'll post a few.

One of the pics is of a fairly recent rockfall that has occurred. Some of the boulders that have come down are the size of a UPS truck. We had to throw our packs through one of the gaps between chokestones, and wriggle through a 2-ft diameter hole at the bottom of the rockpile. Many of the chokestones are still loose - be careful not to get "Ralstoned" here!

Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Iceaxe; 04-26-2010 at 03:18 PM.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Attached Images Attached Images  
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Re: TR - North Fork Robber's Roost

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    be careful not to get "Ralstoned" here!

I especially like the "International DJ" shot....

Just did No Fork RR last weekend and it was totally dry and manageable. Anchors were good and no snags. The only tough part was the crack exit. It's described in the the beta about how to find it but nobody talks about how tough it was - at least for this failrly in-shape 53 yr old canyoneer. Had a great time tho for my first canyon in the Roost. Did White Roost the next day and had a ball there too. Had to ascend a rope tho but it's all good.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by remoteman45 View Post
    Just did No Fork RR last weekend and it was totally dry and manageable. Anchors were good and no snags. The only tough part was the crack exit. It's described in the the beta about how to find it but nobody talks about how tough it was - at least for this failrly in-shape 53 yr old canyoneer. Had a great time tho for my first canyon in the Roost. Did White Roost the next day and had a ball there too. Had to ascend a rope tho but it's all good.
    There are two exits side by side, that often get confused. check this out:

http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/roost/hohum.php

Which did you ascend?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by remoteman45 View Post
    It's described in the the beta about how to find it but nobody talks about how tough it was - at least for this failrly in-shape 53 yr old canyoneer. Had a great time tho for my first canyon in the Roost.
    Since you mentioned it was your first time in the Roost.... Just a heads up.... The Crack Exit is similar to many of the exits in the Roost. Mindbender, Not Mindbender, Larry, High Spur and a few others all have similar exits.... meaning short scrambles and a lot of long, up-hill, hiking requied to escape.

Now at least you can't say nobody told ya.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    There are two exits side by side, that often get confused. check this out:

http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/roost/hohum.php

Which did you ascend?

Wow Tom.... you rate the Exit Crack as 5.7 PG? I'd rate it 4th class, maybe 5.4 with very little exposure.... one of us is going the hard way or one of us has our rating way out of whack.

The Crux of the Exit Crack

well, if it's going to be "rated" as a climb, you base it on the hardest move. if i recall, there is a relatively exposed move right at the beginning to get into the crack. I'd say it's 10 feet of 5.something-ish. but, i haven't been there in awhile.

the rest is 4th class or lower, but still more strenuous than the actual canyon.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Wow Tom.... you rate the Exit Crack as 5.7 PG? I'd rate it 4th class, maybe 5.4 with very little exposure.... one of us is going the hard way or one of us has our rating way out of whack.

The Crux of the Exit Crack
    I've only done it once - maybe I had a bad day? Yes, that is the crux, and I thought that ONE MOVE was kinda 5.7ish, small holds for big floppy shoes. Not too exposed, easily spotted from below, perhaps even easy to 'assist' by stabilizing the foot.

...couldn't get my cane to hook on anything up there...

Tom

FWIW: I thought the Exit Crack was physically tiring because of all the short scrambles to begin and the long up-hill sand slog at the end.... but I didn't think it was technically difficult.... just my 2 cents...

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    There are two exits side by side, that often get confused.
    Maybe I am just a moron - but when I did the North Fork (I guess it has been two years ago almost now), we certainly did not find 2 exits 'side by side'. After reading all the beta I could find, Tom's site, Shane's site, and any where else, I did find the 'Partner Assist Exit', and from the pictures of that on Tom's site I am 100% confident that is all we found. We looked a while longer, although the wash takes you away from the canyon wall as I recall, and I think from my asking around on this site, the standard 'Crack Exit' you have to look a little bit up the canyon wall? Either way, the 'Partner Assist Exit' was far more physical then we thought the crack would be, with lots of.... partner assists. It was the first canyon I did without adult supervision, so I am sure it isnt as bad as I remember, but I would like to go back again and actually find the regular way out. From the picture, that crux looks a lot easier than several of the moves required to get out the way we went.
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space

Quote Originally Posted by DWayne27 View Post
    Maybe I am just a moron - but when I did the North Fork (I guess it has been two years ago almost now), we certainly did not find 2 exits 'side by side'. After reading all the beta I could find, Tom's site, Shane's site, and any where else, I did find the 'Partner Assist Exit', and from the pictures of that on Tom's site I am 100% confident that is all we found. We looked a while longer, although the wash takes you away from the canyon wall as I recall, and I think from my asking around on this site, the standard 'Crack Exit' you have to look a little bit up the canyon wall? Either way, the 'Partner Assist Exit' was far more physical then we thought the crack would be, with lots of.... partner assists. It was the first canyon I did without adult supervision, so I am sure it isnt as bad as I remember, but I would like to go back again and actually find the regular way out. From the picture, that crux looks a lot easier than several of the moves required to get out the way we went.
    'Side by side' being a relative term. 100 yards apart, I think. T

Yes sir... about 100 yards apart...

The Crack Exit begins at ground level... and not "a little bit up the canyon wall".

Man - we really must have been idiots then. I have been wanting to go back and run that canyon again to find the crack exit, but whenever there is time for a trip it seems like we have other places to go.
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

FWIW: Here is a picture of the Exit Crack. This is the exit you are looking for. It doesn't like like much and it really doesn't look like an exit that will go when you first see it.

Name:  northforkpcexitt&.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  41.0 KB
    Last edited by Iceaxe; 04-06-2010 at 08:56 AM.

We had this debate a while back - http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?31122 - that picture above is definitely NOT the crack exit described on your website. What we encountered going up that exit as pictured above in this thread is not in any way similar to your description. We did not see the 'crux' as pictured in this thread, on your website, and other threads. What we encountered were several dryfalls of between 8 and 10 feet, with no way to climb other than letting my partners climb up me, give them a final push and hope they can shimmy up from there. Then they would drop me a rope to ascend.

Here.... I'll make it easy for you....

[B]N38

going from my memory here, so i might be wrong... shane, the photo you have posted here is mislabeled... the "Easy Exit" does NOT come in at ground level, you have to make those small climbing moves to get into it. the photo in this thread is of the "partner assist exit/false exit."

This photo below is the correct exit, and that climb is what you have to make to get into the crack. you can see this climbing move from the main canyon. it's not hidden up in the slot.

This picture.... (see below) is not taken in North Fork of Roobers Roost proper.... this picture is taken after hiking up the Exit Canyon about 200-yards.

I took this picture because it was the crux of the route, not because it marked the exited. If you are hiking down North Fork looking for the crux in the picture you will never see it. You must turn up what looks like a small slot canyon entering from the west (left). I've looked all through my pictures and can't find one of what the exit slot looks like where it meets North Fork... Wish I had one, or I wish some one would post one....