Thread: North Middle Fork Robber's Roost Canyon

North Middle Fork Robber's Roost Canyon

Well, after much wringing of hands, we managed to actually make it out this weekend. As of friday afternoon I still didn't think we would be able to go, but fortunately things worked out.

Since our initial group was divided on which weekend was best (either this past weekend, or Memorial Day), our group was whittled down to Mike and myself. Mike couldn't go on Memorial Day, so we just decided to go down this past weekend.

We did North Middle Fork Robber's Roost Canyon on Saturday, and North Fork Robber's Roost Canyon on Sunday. I only got pics of North Middle Fork, as we didn't have a camera with us on our trip down North Fork.

There has been a significant rockfall in North Fork, and many HUGE boulders are partially blocking easy passage. Be prepared to do some creative partner assist techniques and/or ropework and/or be skinny enough to squeeze through some very tight openings in order to bypass this obstacle, and beware of loose chokestones!

Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Darwin?

Interesting.

Since the other bolt was put in by the same person, you presumeably did not trust that one either. And I assumed you cleaned up all that excess webbing, yes?

Your family might think it is a good idea for you to wear a helmet. Ask them for it for your birthday. I want you to wear a helmet so you don't get blood all over our nice, clean canyons...

Tom
    Canyoneering USA

Cool! Looks like a good time!

Putty on the walls?

Re: Darwin?

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Interesting.

Since the other bolt was put in by the same person, you presumeably did not trust that one either. And I assumed you cleaned up all that excess webbing, yes?
    We left the mess the way it was because all of the anchors were tied in together. That is, the rat's nest was tied into both bolts, the rockpile, the chokestone and the tricam. I think what should be done here is remove the hazardous bolts, and leave the tricam/rockpile/chokestone anchor in place. The rockpile does look a little dicey, but it was actually fairly solid when we weighted it. The rockbolts are completely unnecessary here, and I would have pulled them myself if I would've had a crowbar.

Your family might think it is a good idea for you to wear a helmet. Ask them for it for your birthday. I want you to wear a helmet so you don't get blood all over our nice, clean canyons...
    You helmet folks...you sound like my wife. If I knew my headsize, I'd buy one from your site right now! Until then, don't worry, I won't splatter much.

I want you to wear a helmet so you don't get blood all over our nice, clean canyons...
    I think blood makes a better photograph.

More helmets! Last week I did some canyons down on Powell that I cannot imagine being in without a helmet (or a wetsuit). Ditto with hard North Wash canyons. Talk about making scary, difficult canyons really scary. I think a good comparison of canyoneering without a helmet would be to biking Slickrock or Poison Spider without a helmet. The helmet also made for some useful techniques such as head stemming and helmet jams. Then again these canyons were in a completely different league of difficulty. I think I'll continue to do some of the really easy stuff without a helmet-- much to the chagrin of the helmet nazis, no doubt-- but I won't leave home without it for about 90% of the canyons out there. BTW, sorry I don't have any pictures from the latest trip, I was pretty much along for the ride and am hoping someone will send me some.

Quote Originally Posted by rock_ski_cowboy
    BTW, sorry I don't have any pictures from the latest trip, I was pretty much along for the ride and am hoping someone will send me some.
    You better get on it!

Hey hows the new in line water filter? Inquiring minds want to know. The new contest is only a week away. Did you guys decide who was going to pick the picture?

This is another close-up of the rockstack anchor. We weighted it and it was fairly solid. I don't think it would be solid enough to use with no backup, but it works great as a combo with something else - say a deadman. The webbing is tied to a rock in the very back of the stack, and as it is weighted, it is pulled against the large rock in the center of the stack, and the whole mess is set down in a little depression in the canyon floor.

Yeah pretty cool!

Just good ole ingenuity.......instead of just drilling a f*%ing hole. WTF!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    You helmet folks...you sound like my wife. If I knew my headsize, I'd buy one from your site right now! Until then, don't worry, I won't splatter much.
    Ha ha. Unless your head is giant, the BD Hemisphere will fit you great! I'll even give you a special price, 40$ plus tax and 6$ shipping.

Tom

Hmmm. That IS a good deal.

My helmet purchasing status just went from "thinking about it" to "seriously thinking about it."