Thread: Rear Diff blown on Hell's Revenge

Rear Diff blown on Hell's Revenge

It was the 5th time on the trail for my '93 Wrangler, and we had a group of about 8 jeeps with us. We were smack in the middle of Hell's Revenge, and I'm making a routine crevice crossing when I hear this SNAP!!
    My head bows as I immediately know something is horribly wrong, and the rest of the gang is oblivious to the problem. :( I try to keep my composure as I ask people to check if my rear tires are turning. They check and respond with smiles on their faces, still unaware. :D
    I break the news that my rear differential has just exploded inside, and all I've got to get my jeep out of this mess is my front wheel drive. During this time, one of my aunts is crying because she's scared of the trail.
    To cut this story short, I ended up being towed out by another Jeep.
    As I'm driving back to the Hotel, thinking what a bad day it is, one of the shards of my rear spider gears catches in between the ring and pinion that were still spinning. This froze my driveline, which froze the transmission and transfer case, at 20 mph.
    Another bang.
    My driveline snapped free of my transfer case, and I went from a $50 problem to a $3000 problem. People behind me are telling me to stop, as if I had no idea the second loud BANG I just heard was bad news.
    I had the Jeep towed home. Luckily I also brought my bike down for something else to do.
    Bad trip. Lesson learned.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sorry but!!!!

Someone had to laugh at the situation and I was on the trip. Who owns the Jeep now? Any chance of buying it back?

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Who owns the Jeep now? Any chance of buying it back?
    I don't know. I didn't recognize who was driving it last time. I've seen it about 5 times.

I wouldn't buy it back for more than 2k. Who knows what it's been through. I didn't see any more modifications on it though.

Leaf spring suspension just beats the hell out of you when you are driving. They'll say that after the lift is put on, the ride will soften up after a while. That's a bunch of bullsh*t.
    Anything to sell a lift kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Who owns the Jeep now? Any chance of buying it back?
    I don't know. I didn't recognize who was driving it last time. I've seen it about 5 times.

I wouldn't buy it back for more than 2k. Who knows what it's been through. I didn't see any more modifications on it though.

Leaf spring suspension just beats the hell out of you when you are driving. They'll say that after the lift is put on, the ride will soften up after a while. That's a bunch of bullsh*t.
    Anything to sell a lift kit.

A springs-over conversion is the secret to leaf springs & ride quality.

Coils > Leafs.

Yeah, I thought about that. Knowing me though, I'd screw something up when I cut the bracket from the axle and welded it up top.

It gives you about 5-1/2 inches, doesn't it?