Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: St George trip 5/20-5/22

St George trip 5/20-5/22

It's that time again!! I know we all want to get out of here, and I am proposing a trip down to St George from Friday 5/20 to Sunday 5/22. (Almost 2 weeks from this post)

There's numerous bike trails that we haven't even seen yet. I will have more info on those trails in the posts to come, or you may feel free to post some info on some trails that interest you.

For some reason, I just love that Green Valley Loop/Bear Claw Poppy Trail. (Even though I cracked my ribs on it last time). It's the short 4 mile ride, mostly down hill right within St George. It's easily accomplished within 2 hours or less, including the pick up and drop off. I know we've done this a number of times, so this won't be high priority. There are a lot of more trails not rode yet.

We are also looking into doing some slot canyons, if time permits. We will keep in mind that most of us are beginners, so nothing too hairy. If anybody has info on some convenient canyons nearby, we'd love to have it.

Plan on funds for a motel, just in case....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Are you taking Friday off?

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca

Are you taking Friday off?
    I would like to, but it's usually such a pain to ask for it off, especially since Chivato and I work together. I really want to try for it though.

If we get Friday off, I would love to go down Thursday night.

If we go down Friday night, that really only leaves us with Saturday and Sunday morning to cram everything in.

I am up for any new trails. Do you have any in mind yet? I also wanted to mention that you can rent bikes down there. I have a couple decent loaner bikes that I can get if your a cheap ass.

Lets get planning.

Trail search here: http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/

Check out all of these trails in St George!

http://utahmountainbiking.com/trails/idx-st-g.htm

I just did a quick count, but there's about 30 on this website.
    City Creek - Rusty Cliffs Trail

Little Creek Mountain

Slickrock Swamp Trail

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    This one looks a lot like gooseberry mesa, but I am lacking some info on how long the trail is, and exact location.

Well, we've got plenty of resources for biking, now all we need are some ideas for slot canyons, (if this is something we are interested in).

With our limited time, I would hope to find a canyon we could do in about 4 hours, plus drive time, and also on the beginner to intermediate level. I don't think hardly any of us will have equipment for a rappel.

We are probably looking at about 3 destinations total for the trip. Maybe 2 biking, and 1 canyon? We'll gather the opinions though.

And also, the almighty buffet. Either in Mesquite or Vegas. It always tastes better after a good workout.

A word of caution about slot canyons this time of year. Spring runoff is extremely high right now, so be very careful which canyon you choose. Zion's canyons are almost out of the question due to either being too technical, too much water, or too cold. In other words, almost a mandatory prerequisite for Zions slots right now are full-body wetsuits, and full canyoneering gear (Harnesses, ropes, belay devices, etc).

I know of one slot just outside Kanarraville that may be do-able, if the water levels are ok. Might be worth looking into...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    I know of one slot just outside Kanarraville that may be do-able, if the water levels are ok. Might be worth looking into...
    Where is Kanarraville? Do you know the name of the slot?

I guess we can always resort to Snow Canyon, and checking out the lava caves, but I think everybody's done them.

And if there is no convenient canyon to hit, we'll just do more biking.

Yeah I vote for more biking if we cant find anything. The Snow Canyon thing is old news. This will not be the only trip down there. We can hit a Zions slot next time.

Kanarraville is between Cedar City and St. George. The slot I know of is kind of "undocumented." It may be found on Shane's website with a "circle of friends" login.

Yeah I vote for more biking if we cant find anything. The Snow Canyon thing is old news. This will not be the only trip down there. We can hit a Zions slot next time.
    Good call.

It may be found on Shane's website with a "circle of friends" login.
    Looks like were screwed then.

That Kanarra creek looks pretty cool. I wonder what the water flow is in Zion this time of year? I would suspect kind of high.
    It looks like a colorful canyon though.

I would be up for it if we knew it was safe. In fact, we really should try to do this one if we feel it is safe. It looks like it is somewhat near the freeway, and close to a town.

Looks doable to me so far. I put a post about it in the Canyoneering section.

Another link: http://www.climb-utah.com/Zion/kanarra.htm

This looks very photogenic. It just depends on how wet we want to get. Wading would be inevitable.

Kanarra creek:

That's the same canyon on Shane's site.

BTW, I'm a member of the "circle of friends," so I can get access to all areas of Shane's site.

Kanarra looks like a great canyon, I've never done it, but would love to.

That's the same canyon on Shane's site.

BTW, I'm a member of the "circle of friends," so I can get access to all areas of Shane's site.

Kanarra looks like a great canyon, I've never done it, but would love to.
    Are you going with us?

Depends on my work schedule, and if you guys are gonna do Kanarra or not.

I've been applying to different companies offering summer internship positions. Haven't landed one yet, but I should find out sometime this week (hopefully soon).