Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trip Report - St. George to Tuweep (Grand Canyon)

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    ooh TANYA, THAT is a GREAT photo.

the perspective is fantastic and very interesting.

nice
    I made a whole album of them. It was a different site since the rocks had fallen.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/ima...m2/index26.htm

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've been out there on my mountain bike. My original plan was to peddle to the Grand Canyon and back, but the trip was just too mind-numbingly boring by peddle bike (this experience inspired my purchase of an i-pod). So instead of treking all the way to the canyon, I camped across the street from the school at Mt. Trumbull (or Bundyville as it's known to provincials like myself) and returned home the next day.

The BLM people were great out there, each time one of them passed me, they stopped to make sure I had enough water and supplies. The highlight of the trip was being awakened by a chorus of coyotes about an hour before sunup. It was too dark to see them unfortunately.

Anyway, it looks like I know now where I went wrong. Next time I go, I go by motorcylcle! Nice photos people.

Re: Trip Report - St. George to Tuweep (Grand Canyon)

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Stops along the way include an old school house in Mt. Trumbull. A real old farmhouse and the Tuweep ranger station. We ate lunch near the rim with some spectacular views.
    Did you go by the Bar 10 Ranch?

Quote Originally Posted by nefarious
    Hmmm...sounds familiar. It was a while ago now, we just took the dirt road from the border all the way there.

Bogley BigShot

Whitmore Wash

Went down this same area today to set up our shuttle for the rafting trip. When you get to that Mt. Trumbull School House, just keep going toward the canyon and you drive almost to the river!!! I had no idea. Next time anyone is out that way you should check it out.

Warning!!! Iron Butts needed. It took 3.5 to drive from St. George. I am not sure how long it took to get home, but we took the turn-off to Colorado City and went through the dunes.

Bogley BigShot

Quote Originally Posted by nefarious
    Hmmm...sounds familiar. It was a while ago now, we just took the dirt road from the border all the way there.
    Hey! I was at Bar 10 Ranch today and talked with "Uncle Ned"

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Warning!!! Iron Butts needed.
    An Iron Butt for a 3.5 hour ride? An Iron Butt covers at least 1000 miles in one day. It took me 20 hours...now thats a SORE ass.

Bogley BigShot
    Warning!!! Iron Butts needed.
    An Iron Butt for a 3.5 hour ride? An Iron Butt covers at least 1000 miles in one day. It took me 20 hours...now thats a SORE ass.
    You are far far far tougher than I am. I feel all stiff from today!... and that was in a Rover!!! --- I can't imagine the pain on a bike!

Yup, we are getting prepped for a ride in yer neck of the woods next weekend. I need to change my transmission fluid and I may do the oil too. Anyway, it is supposed to be beautiful all next week and I am getting stoked. We'll prolly turn close to 1000 miles, but in a couple days this time.

Hey! I was at Bar 10 Ranch today and talked with "Uncle Ned"
    Lucky Ned, but you shouldn't be consorting with those evil "Welfare Ranchers," Tanya! I'm sure you and accadacca noticed the terrible devastation wrought by those selfish villains and their cows. That part of Arizona is mostly covered by juniper, sage, and cacti nowadays. Gone forever are the lush rainforests that once thrived there. Stupid cows![/sarcasm] (nobody get pissed, just having fun here)

I was thinking of using Bar 10 as a stopover/resupply depot for a future mountain bike trip to the Grand Canyon. I've changed my mind about not going there by way of peddle bike, but I'll rent some motorcycles and check the route before I try it again (maybe in a month or so).

Originally, I thought of using the chopper service there to get across the canyon and continue as far as Flagstaff, but that's probably a bit ambitious and probably too dangerous to attempt solo.

PS- Iron Butt is essential for riding a mountain bike to Bundyville and back. Last time my ass hurt so bad I had to pack my shorts with extra socks and TP, and I haven't felt the need to stuff my pants since the last HS stag dance I attended. Basically, I had to ride through the pain until numbness set in, kinda' like hiking with blisters. It took a week to heal.