Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip Report - St. George to Tuweep (Grand Canyon)

Trip Report - St. George to Tuweep (Grand Canyon)

7 of us left the trailhead at about 8:00am. Well I say trailhead but really it is just a dirt road outside of St. George. It is right on the Nevada/Utah border. We had quite the assortment of bikes on this ride. Some that we were questioning would make the ride without mechanical failures. We had one four wheeler in the group. He carried four 5-gallon gas cans on his back rack for those that did not have big enough tanks. My KTM and my Dad
    Attached Images Attached Images      

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Looks pretty fun! Were there many people on that road? Do any off-roading or was it all pretty much on dirt roads? How long did it take round-trip?

Day Two. We rode to some Petroglyphs and also a small Gypsum mine.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Looks pretty fun! Were there many people on that road? Do any off-roading or was it all pretty much on dirt roads? How long did it take round-trip?
    There were a few vehicles on the roads. It was mostly just dirt roads. They do get a bit rocky the last few miles, but nothing that a car could not handle. We took all day and got back when the sun was going down. It could be done pretty quickly though. The roads are really good. We had some slow vehicles and were in no hurry. Average speed was like 40 mph. I usually go 70 on those kinds of roads. It is really a remote area of the canyon.

Some pretty great petroglyph panels! So who in the group was familiar with Gypsum enough to know what it was? Usually it's a mineral that most folks are unfamiliar with.

Pretty damn big lizard!

Yeah big DAMN lizard...We thought it might be poisonous? My Dad knew about the mine and the Gypsum. His parents lived down there for a while and he used to ride around to these different mines. He is kind of a mine hound too. He just likes to ride up to them doing 90 mph plus on a motorcycle.

I am always amazed at the amount mines that I see on my GPS when riding around remote areas like this.

Another good one that I found.

Sorry to dredge up an aging post, but I just joined & saw this report. Looks like alot of fun! I just bought a KTM 450EXC and am looking forward to taking some exploration trips like this one

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca

I love the photos!!!! You guys really explored!!!! Where are those petroglyphs?

Quote Originally Posted by tanya

I love the photos!!!! You guys really explored!!!! Where are those petroglyphs?
    We parked right on the border and as I recall they are just east from there on a dirt road. Pretty easy to find and there may even be signs.

And you wanna see getting around? Check this! http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3552

Bogley BigShot
    We parked right on the border and as I recall they are just east from there on a dirt road. Pretty easy to find and there may even be signs.

And you wanna see getting around? Check this! http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3552

I went out to see the Nampaweap petroglyphs today. Those were great! We entered the Toroweap road where we usually do, off 389 near Fredonia. It was signed and easy to find.

Then I remembered seeing the cool Mt. Trumbull School House.... so we went looking, assuming it would be at Mt. Trumbull. I never brought any info for finding it so we drove around ----- up to Mt. Trumball -- nothing there ... then drove up another 7 miles up a dirt road which had a nice viewpoint but nothing else... so back down to Mt. Trumbull. We decided the school house must be down the road toward St. George. We found it, but by then it was just closer to drive to St. George... then all the way home to the east side of Zion.... That was a lot of driving! Nothing close to yours, but I am feeling it today. Thanks for the tip. The Petros were great and I loved the school house!

Great to hear, glad you enjoyed it!

Bogley BigShot
    Great to hear, glad you enjoyed it!
    Nampaweap Petros

ooh TANYA, THAT is a GREAT photo.

the perspective is fantastic and very interesting.

nice