Thread: Medieval Chamber and Arches

Medieval Chamber and Arches

Here are some pics from a trip i took last week with some friends from Utah State . Sorry about the larger sizes, next time I'll be sure to make them one notch smaller so they fit on your screen. Good company, nice hikes. 2 amazing trips in one week! Warning, rated NH17 (for no helmets and one HILTI hat). May not be suitable for T., S., R., or your mom.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

2. Likes oldno7 liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Awesome pics!!! Looks like good times! No complaint here about the big pics. They look better that way.

Hey how did you set up that simul-rap? Looks tricky.

Was Josh the photographer on this trip too?

Settin up the simul rap was tricky and the 130 foot rappel had everyone's adrenaline going. I gave everyone the option to rappel off a real anchor but all declined. Basically it went like this: We tied two ropes together at the top of the arch. I sat on the knot and had the person to my right sit down facing the same way as me and the person to my left sit down facing the opposite way. They both ran the rope over their laps through their belay devices and brake (right) hands (a left-hander would face the other way). I then proceeded to coach them off the lip. The sides are rounded so i had them both work thier way to the edge (sitting down) and tension the rope, and then i coached them both off little by little so that they both fully weighted at the same time. Between the counter-force of the arch, the 20 or so feet of friction there was no rope slippage once both weighted but a little sometimes when they were just weighting it. Be careful about mismatched weights. If there is an odd man out, have someone tie the other rope off to anchor, and rappel off the other side. Thanks to Tom, Verlyn, and Mark for tips on setting the rappel up.

Josh didn't come, there were various cameras, I don't know who took them.

Ben

Re: Medieval Chamber and Arches

Quote Originally Posted by rock_ski_cowboy
    Sorry about the larger sizes, next time I'll be sure to make them one notch smaller so they fit on your screen.
    Fixed. GREAT PICTURES!!! They made my day!!! Thanks....

Re: Medieval Chamber and Arches

Somewhere in arches competing with Craig for Cami's attention.
    Well she has a hat like yours in the picture. Two points for you... Round up that lass.

I'm still trying to get Tim's plumber bro to score me one of those hats. They have no idea the connotation it has;) PS no worries I'm a non-bolter
    Got it!!! That's funny!! Perhaps not the best hat to wear Canyoneering!!!

Imagine if you ran into some of those extremist nuts!!!

For those of you that don't know what the big deal abou Hilti is:
    Here's a pic of a Hilti semiautomatic rockbolter. Ever seen cliffhanger?

The hat came from Tim's uncle in construction -- hilti does make a lot of other cool, useful power tools.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Imagine if you ran into some of those extremist nuts!!!
    Those who are anti-bolt aren't the extremists inUtah canyoneering, they're actually pretty much the norm, and lets keep it that way. I've seen the light, and canyoneering can be done without bolts and actually adds a whole new interesting element and challenge to it. I'm not opposed to using existing bolts, but 95% of those who are out there exploring new canyons and providing the beta to us are doing so without bolts and are sharing the information with the intent that we don't bolt them. Some do it for environmental reasons, but if you don't buy that (which i don't really), do it out of respect for guys like Steve Allen, Tom Jones, and Shane who put alot of time into providing route information and are actively promoting canyoneering without bolts. For those of you that don't get it, there are lots of canyons in Zion and the Swell that have plenty of bolts to keep you occupied, the point is not to bolt new canyons.

Ben
    Attached Images Attached Images