Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's Go Hit One!

I'm Back!

It has been a while since I posted. I should try to make it out here more often. I'm planning on going as well on the 4-6th. It sounds like a blast.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Let me just put this out there...

What is everybody doing for accomodations? Tent? Under the stars on tarp? Under the stars no tarp? Cot? Just curious. I have a two-man, but I don't often use it.

Also, (and I can't stress this enough) DRESS WARMLY!! Last year I went on a camping trip to Moab in February, and it was FREEZING at night.

Also for the hike...Since there is probably some knee-deep water in these canyons, I'm going to invest in some neoprene socks just in case there are some pools that are unavoidable. I don't think they cost much, but other canyoneers I know that do many wet winter canyons say that neoprene socks are a little slice of heaven. They keep your feet dry in cases where wading/swimming is necessary.

Hey what time is everyone leaving to go down? I'd like to get down ASAP.
    I am not sure on the sleeping yet? I have a bivy sack and I can sleep anywhere, usually on a tarp. But if it's near freezing that might be a NO. I have a big camping tent. Like 4 man or something? I need to solidify my leaving friday night deal. Are we going to be sleeping at the trail head or a campground? There is a goblin valley campground? Reservations?

Tell me more about these neprene socks. How high do they go? Can you find a picture of them? REI? Walmart item? Looking.......

Next question: What are the roads like? Dirts roads? How far? Would I want to take my new car? If I take the truck I can sleep in the back. But MPG not so good. The Prius 50mpg! :cool:

4 of us in so far! Cool!

Re: I'm Back!

Quote Originally Posted by KillEmAll
    It has been a while since I posted. I should try to make it out here more often. I'm planning on going as well on the 4-6th. It sounds like a blast.
    Welcome back! We missed you! All right not that much....

This should be a great trip!

I've got a 4-5 man tent. I usually don't get cold, I probably won't pack a jacket, just a long sleeve shirt.
    I wonder if you can shoot firearms down there. If you can, we should bring the tater guns.
    I found out they are actually legal. They're considered a firearm, so you can just shoot them in places where firearms are legal. I always wondered about getting caught with one.
    Now that I have my Concealed Weapons Permit, I can take a Potato Gun wherever I want!! :P

I'm pretty sure Black Diamond or REI stocks neoprene socks. Maybe even Kirkham's but I doubt it. They're more of a specialty item.

You can camp at the Goblin Valley campgrounds, but you have to pay. I'm familiar with about a hundred other spots that are better, less crowded, and free just outside Goblin Valley, on the road to Temple Mountain. Some are right at the mouth of some really easy slot canyons - Wild Horse Canyon (not Little Wild Horse), Chute Canyon, and Crack Canyon, and maybe we could hit some of those while we're there too. The trailhead to Little Wild Horse Canyon is about a 20 minute drive away from the campsites I'm familiar with. We'll be on dirt roads most of the time, but they're well graded. Little Wild Horse sees a lot of traffic. During the summer months, the parking area is cram packed with mini-vans and small cars. Your Prius should do fine.

You could probably bring the tater guns. They would probably be off limits in Goblin Valley though (another reason to camp outside the park).

I checked Walmart last night for the neoprene socks. No deal! I am going to check REI online when I get a second.

And the tater gun is coming!

I put the question of where to get neoprene socks on the Canyoneering forums and I was recommended the following places:

Sidsports
    Wasatch Touring
    REI
    Sportsman's Warehouse

They're kind of out of season right now, so it may be hard to find them.

Here is a link to some at REI: http://www.rei.com/online/store/Sear...neoprene+socks

I think they would be well worth having.

I work by Sportsman's. I will check on my way home. They may have a better deal.

I have not made it to Sportsmans yet. Anyone else pick up any of these socks yet? Anything else that we need? Hey rockgremlin can you give us a check list of the items that we will need for the hike.

1. If this were during the hot summer months, I'd say bring lots of water. But you could probably get away with bringing less in March. A couple of 16oz. water bottles would be plenty.

2. Pack a lunch.

3. Dress warmly up top (a jacket and/or sweatshirt combo), and go prepared for wading up to waist deep on bottom. I'm probably gonna go with shorts/swimming trunks on, and some shoes I don't care about. Also, wear some socks you don't care about - the pothole water in canyons WILL PERMANENTLY STAIN ANYTHING WHITE to a shade of pink or brownish-red, so keep that in mind when considering what socks/underwear to wear.

4. First aid kit wouldn't hurt.

5. Camera?

6. GPS if you want - we won't be needing it in these canyons, you'd have to do this route blindfolded to get lost.

That's about it really.

Do you think it could be risky bringing a camcorder? I just got one, and I would love to videotape these things.
    I understand that I could drop it, or it could get wet. Are there some cool water/air tight bags that are convenient for these trips?

Just take it in a backpack wrapped up in bubble-wrap and/or towels. I'm gonna drag my medium format camera through these canyons, and that thing is the size of a camcorder, maybe larger. I'll be wrapping it tightly in large-bubble bubble wrap (you can get it from the post office), then wrapping that in a shirt or towel or something. Just as long as you don't drop your backpack it should be fine.

The narrows in these canyons are very photogenic. Looks good blown up on your wall.

Five days to the trip...I'm counting every second.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Five days to the trip...I'm counting every second.
    Yeah I am getting pumped!! I have cleared the whole weekend off. So Friday thru Sunday I am good!! I hope the week goes fast!!! We will have to get a final count, then plan the driving arrangements as the week progresses.

So far here is the list that I know of:

accadacca
    Sombeech
    rockgremlin
    KillEmAll
    Any others?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Do you think it could be risky bringing a camcorder? I just got one, and I would love to videotape these things.
    I understand that I could drop it, or it could get wet. Are there some cool water/air tight bags that are convenient for these trips?
    I found the site that I was telling you about on Saturday. It looks like they have some that would work for your camera. http://www.otterbox.com/

I have one of these boxes for my palm pilot. They are watertight and crushproof. Anyone that wants to make sure on their equipment, pick one of these up. They are awesome! I can

Four days to the trip...I'm counting every second.

Three days to the trip...I'm counting every second.

Two days and counting...

Hey when is everybody planning on leaving? Is KillemAll gonna ride with Sombeech? What time is Acca planning on leaving? What's the travel situation?

I may be able to get outta here around 4:30, and I'll leave right from work. Kill em all and I can go down together and meet up with you two, unless some more people join in.
    It doesn't look like they will though.

So then I guess the question is...what time can you cut away Acca?

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum