Thread: Las Vegas 1/2 Marathon

Las Vegas 1/2 Marathon

So I went down and ran in the Las Vegas 1/2 Marathon over the weekend. My results can be seen here:
    http://www.tri-a-run.com/Results%20files/mar05d.txt
    Pretty cool. The weather was only slightly warmer than here, and windy.

Marathons are such strange human events. We all line up and run our butts off for nothing because...we want to. Just before the race starts, many people have the "pre-race" jitters, and have to use the bathroom. There are port-a-potties at the start line, but are in constant use up until the gun sounds. And so, many people both men and women alike run about 20 feet off the side of the road and just go right there - in broad daylight, in front of the rest of the 1000s of runners. It's such a weird sight to see women just drop their pants and urinate off the side of the road with no discretion or care at all that 1000s of people are watching.

When running marathons, it's pointless to try and "win," because runners from all parts of the world show up to run in these things, and that's how they make their living. I think the prize for first place in the Las Vegas Marathon is $50,000. Usually marathons are won by runners from Africa - Kenyans most of the time. $50,000 to a Kenyan can buy a LOT of rice and beans!! This year the winner was actually some guy from New Mexico, but the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th positions were all Kenyans.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Yeah, with running and biking alike-regarding the "drop 'em and go" routine. I've heard that some people don't even stop running, that they just go right there in their shorts. Seriously!
    I know some bikers that have said, that after the race, a lot of people have visible "stains" that can be seen through the shorts.

My opinion: If you're in the group of the first ten positions, go ahead. But if you know you're definately not going to place in the first 20, just take a break, man!! If you crap yourself already knowing you're out of the prize range, that's a lose-lose situation.

But everything aside, I've wanted to do a triathalon, in the far, far, far future.

So, how many races do you do a year?

Usually I do about two 10ks, and a 5k per year. This year I started off with a half-marathon (which was my second ever 1/2 marathon). I've also ran two marathons in the past (St. George, and the Deseret News). I'd like to run more 1/2-marathons, I think they're the perfect length. Marathons are just a little too long for me.

You two gave me a good laugh after a busy day. thanks....

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    So, how many races do you do a year?
    Yeah how about it? Are you going to try and compete with the Kenyans?

And what place did you take? I didn't spot you on the list? Where guessing its not a career move for you.

Ya, I get that same kind of response from my other friends who don't like running. Drives me nuts. To clarify:

"When running marathons, it's pointless to try and "win," because runners from all parts of the world show up to run in these things, and that's how they make their living..."

That said, the whole point of running these things is to beat your previous times. In essence, you're competing against yourself, always trying to get a P.B. (personal best). That and the fact that 9 other family members ran in this 1/2 marathon - so it's an opportunity to get together and bond with the fam, doing something we all enjoy doing together. I ran the majority of the way with my bro-in-law and his wife.

If that didn't clarify things well then..."It's a running thing...you wouldn't understand."

If you couldn't find my results, make sure you're looking under the category: MEN'S, AGE 25-29. My time was around 2:04.

Hey rockgremlin,

You do much running outside during the winter? How do you train to beat the Kenyans? My brother in law has been getting into running, but he goes to the gym and the treadmill during the winter.

I do see people out running all winter. I would freeze! I just started back up on my treadmill. Damn boring down in the basement. I need a TV down there. Sitting in my office all day on my duff really makes me miss when I had to physically work for a living. Except for the winter.

I thought about riding the bike during the winter. That would probably be colder than running. What do you do?

I run in the gym in the winter. On some days running with the bad air and winter inversion is as bad as smoking. No lie!! It is boring, but fortunately at the gym there are T.V.s and chicks to look at, so it's not so bad.

I like to mix in a little recumbent bike, stationary bike, and elliptical on occasion.

If you want to bike in the winter, the Shoreline trail is paved, and on some days is above the inversion. If I had a bike and the desire that's where I would go.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    T.V.s and chicks to look at
    That's a reason to go right there. Damn I never thought of that. What are they going to do if you stare at them? Leave? Tell on you?

That's it I need a gym pass. Where do you go and how much? Do you work out with anybody? I could use some upperbody work if I am going to be hanging around any slots this summer.

I usually go alone because I do some pretty advanced lifts, and I spend at least 90 minutes there, which is more time than the average person would care to spend at the gym.

I go to Gold's. For $20/month you can't beat it. Other places like 24hour or Ballys go for more than double that per month.

Most of the chicks that work out with the guys either don't care or like the attention. If they don't care to be watched, there's a "women's only" section of the gym they can go. You should see the dirty looks I get from the ladies when I work out in the "women's only" section.

I go to Gold's. For $20/month you can't beat it. Other places like 24hour or Ballys go for more than double that per month.
    Not bad.

Most of the chicks that work out with the guys either don't care or like the attention. If they don't care to be watched, there's a "women's only" section of the gym they can go. You should see the dirty looks I get from the ladies when I work out in the "women's only" section.
    NICE!! You perv......

Women

:D To be honest, only the Van Winkle location has the "women only" section, and it's usually not used much from what I've seen. It's a room about 100 feet X 40 feet, and every time I've ever passed by, there's only about 10 women in there at the most. The other locations are all co-ed.

And no, I've never stepped foot in the women's only section, - wouldn't want to - there's only stair steppers and junk like that in there.

From what I've seen, the ladies like the attention - why else would they go mix in with the dudes and wear those skimpy little outfits?

So, if they have a Women only section, they should have a Men Only spectator section, where they just look into the Women only section.

Wait, they actually do have a Women only section... It's a gym called "Curves"!
    Man, not only do they have complete gyms for women only, they've got to section off their own area in the public gyms!! What the hell?

Ya, I don't know. Chicks man. Who can figure them out?

If privacy was so important, why do they wear such skimpy outfits? If you don't want us to look at you, don't traipse around in g-strings and spandex!!

Ya, I don't know. Chicks man. Who can figure them out?

If privacy was so important, why do they wear such skimpy outfits? If you don't want us to look at you, don't traipse around in g-strings and spandex!!
    AMEN!!!! But I am not complaining!!!!

We dont show up in David Lee Roth gear and strut around. That part from the movie "This is Spinal Tap" comes to mind. If you haven't seen it. Classic!
    Attached Images Attached Images