Thread: Newbie kayaker

Newbie kayaker

I'm new to kayaking. I haven't been able to get out much. If anyone likes to get out let me know. It's always nice to have someone to go out with. I've been searching for some fun spots to hit (lakes or slow rivers - not up for the rapids yet).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Guest (Sombeech)
    I've heard the Weber River, in Morgan Canyon is really good. I've always seen groups of kayakers there. I've seen them start up past Morgan, past Devil's Slide where it's a little calmer, and get out somewhere in the canyon.
    It looks pretty fun.

Umm, yeah, that guest was me again.

Sombeech says:
    Umm, yeah, that guest was me again.
    I made some adjustments and fixed that! It won

The provo river right below Deer Creek is a fun place to start kayaking. Its swift but has no rapids until you get close to Bridal Veil and then it has about a mile of class 4 that is really choked with rocks unless there's a lot of flow. You'll want to get out before there until you check it out and get some experience/helmets. Be careful at the bridges, they can be a little dangerous and low, one in particular that goes at a sharp angle to the current we usually carry our boats around. I've also kayaked below the rapids at Bridal Veil and its a little more adventurous, but you hit a little lake with a dam pretty soon. Watch out for pissy fishermen!

Other good starter runs that you don't need a permit for include the Green River above Green River City, the Colorado River above Moab, and the Green River below Flaming Gorge. Most significant runs require permits that can be hard to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by rock_ski_cowboy
    The provo river right below Deer Creek is a fun place to start kayaking.
    Is there any place around provo that rents kayaks? Or do you guys have your own? I could go redneck and use a tube.