Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buckskin Gulch

Buckskin Gulch

Has anyone done buckskin? Is it worth doing? I'd like to do it this year and I'm wondering if it's overrated because of it's popularity. If anyone has done it let me know what thier experience was.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Haven't done it yet. I'd like to hit it sometime next year. From what I hear, it's a classic. Sure there are more people than average, but the thing is over 15 miles long, so I'm sure it would be easy to lose the crowds wherever you are in the canyon. Technically it's not a very difficult canyon, just long (It's supposedly the longest slot canyon in the world).

Where is it at? Is it a dry canyon? Something we could hit by February?

Kanab

It's east of Kanab. I'd like to try hitting it. I'm not sure if it's wet or not though. I definitely don't want to be hiking in the water when it's cold. Not a good combo. Here's a link I found for it...
    http://climb-utah.com/Escalante/buckskin.htm

WOW! That looks awesome! Thanks for the link. That is a MUST trip! We need to stay in touch with

Yeah, it looks like there will be some strategic planning for the bowel movements.
    Either there's going to be some "pushing" hard the night before, or some clenched butts until the end.

I know the owner of the climb-utah website, his name is Shane Burrows. He's pretty cool. He does about 50 or so slot canyons a year. He's a regular poster (and the forum moderator) on the canyoneer yahoo groups site. I also frequent the yahoo canyoneer groups page, and post there often. It's an invaluable source of information for canyon techniques, locations, latest news, etc.

Here's the website. Check it out sometime:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyoneer/

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

stuff, including Buckskin

Buckskin tends to have some pools up to waist deep. Could be chilly in winter. There's been reports of ice dams in the Paria heading up to Whitehouse. Can be severe. Winter canyoneering requires skill.

Buckskin is permit-(over)controlled, so does not get crowded.

Wear a helmet.

Uh, you can also visit the "Bright Side" of the canyoneering world at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/

Packing out your Poop? May I suggest Immodium? Works like a charm, though you tend to get one "unpleasant" day when it wears off. Try not to be driving that day.

Tom

Re: stuff, including Buckskin

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Uh, you can also visit the "Bright Side" of the canyoneering world
    The "Bright" side???

Attached Images Attached Images  

Ya, I rolled my eyes when I read that one too. Seems typical coming from T.J. though.

N00b here!
    Was reading this post and wondered whether any of you rended up doing Buckskin this year or not?

Done it several times in the past - From the Midway to the confluence and back out the same day... From Wyre pass to the amphitheater - spent the night then headed back the same route... And from wyre pass to the confluence then south to Lee's Ferry. All brilliant routes!!! Some unbelievable scenery and hiking - near flat all the way!

I would be interested in doing it again in the fall or next spring.

Someday I'll get around to this one. Been on my canyoneering to-do list for a while.

How does it compare to the Zion Narrows?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

definitely not as deep as the narrows. But you can go forever with the walls less than 10' apart - often able to touch both walls for long spans. And the walls aren't as straight up as narrows - more twisty... long sections that you cannot see the sky. Also you are not walking in the creek either! except for a section called the cesspool, and when you are closer to the confluence, you can walk on dry ground right down the middle - I believe what little water there is happens a bit below the surface. But if it was to rain on you... you're pretty much screwed... the log jambs are 80 feet up in the air.

Having dons them both... I like buckskin better - less people.

Quote Originally Posted by double moo
    N00b here!
    Welcome to uutah.com double moo. Be sure to put a post about yourself in the newbies section.

double moo, do you have any pics from your trip there?

Don't kow where the pics would be... last time there was in '95... a little before digital cameras... though I do have a scanner....

Quote Originally Posted by double moo
    a little before digital cameras... though I do have a scanner....
    Welcome to my world!! I've got about 300 pics scanned on my PC, and I finally bought a digital a month ago.

The helmet for falling debris or slipping, or both?

Quote Originally Posted by shootsright View Post
    The helmet for falling debris or slipping, or both?
    Just slipping.

There is one interesting downclimb in there. A dude broke both of his legs at that spot the week before we did it, back in 2009. His girlfriend had to hike out (10 miles?), then rescue took another 24 hours. He was laying around in the canyon for 36-ish hours, or so I was told.

Lucky he didn't hit his head.

That being said... If you are careful with that downclimb, I'd go without a helmet. Buckskin is a loooong hike. Less stuff = more fun.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Packing out your Poop? May I suggest Immodium? Works like a charm, though you tend to get one "unpleasant" day when it wears off. Try not to be driving that day.

Yikes! Imodium is NOT a recreational drug. Fecal impaction is a serious consequence of using Imodium this way. Yes, people end up in the hospital for this reason.

The lengths some people will go to...
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM