Thread: Winter hikes in Utah.

Winter hikes in Utah.

Being that it's winter and I really want to get the heck out of here and do some hiking, does anyone have any suggestions about places to go where I won't be freezin' my keester off? I'm not sure what to expect down south. I'm thinking just a weekender, so let's keep it in Utah. I know the St. George area stays fairly mild during winter. Does anyone do winter hiking/camping and if so what would be the best times to go?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I would say everything is down south. WAY down south! Certainly St. George would be the place to go. I would think that the Grand Canyon would have some great hiking opportunities in the winter? Anyone else want to chime in? I have been Mt. Biking in those areas in the wintertime with much success. I think hiking would work well too. We all need to plan something this winter. THAT'S A MUST! I am already going nutty. Perhaps a trip to St. George would be the ticket? Then hit some hiking spots.

Anything around here would be DAMN cold.

Let's go!

We definitely need to plan a St George trip this winter. As soon as the holidays are over I'm outta here!

Bogley BigShot
    I love winter hiking and was in Zion hiking just about every weekend last winter.

Here is a list of Winter hikes in Zion National Park

http://www.zionnational-park.com/snow.htm

I'll second Zion for winter. It's awesome.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

I think winter is one of the best times to hike in Utah. Just bundle up! No bugs, no sunburns, it's great! If your hike includes water, just get a wetsuit (see my TR in the canyoneering section for The Squeeze -- that water musta been in the 40's, with no wetsuits we would've been hypothermic!)
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I've done a fair amount of winter hiking down south. The biggest thing to look for isn't necessarily how far south your destination is, but what elevation it is at. St. George is so warm partly because of how far south it is, but mostly because it is so far south AND only 2000 something feet above sea level. Bryce canyon is in Southern Utah, but it's between 8000 and 9000 feet, so it's covered with snow all winter and would most likely be colder than Salt Lake. The north rim of the grand canyon is around 8000 feet too and is closed in the winter because of snow (South Rim is open in winter but it's probably beyond a "weekend" drive from Salt Lake). Zion is a great place for winter hiking. I remember going down with an old girlfriend in January with 60 degree temps. Just remember the very top of the canyon is over 6000 feet, and there is usually snow up there. You're pretty limited to the main canyon in winter unless you are prepared for the snow and ice up top. Moab is a good place for hiking. I've been to arches in November. It's great because the crowds are much smaller and the temps are in the 50's for a high. There was a little snow in Devils Garden (again higher elevation) but it was a great time. The higher elevation areas of the San Rafael Swell will have snow and will be cold, however the low areas like Goblin Valley and Little Wild Horse can be pleasant in the winter. The closer to the Colorado or Green Rivers you are, usually the better chance you have of good temps and little snow. Places near Lake Powell would probably be good. Escalante River side canyons might be a good bet too?)

Remember, just because it's southern Utah doesn't mean it can't turn really nasty and cold even if you are at a low elevation. Whenever I've done winter hiking trips its usually been a spur of the moment kind of weekend thing. I check the weather down there and when it looks good I go, when it looks bad I go snowboarding instead.

Eric.

P.S. If you are camping, I don't care how warm it is in the day, look at the forcasted low. Yea it really does get down to 18 degrees at night even when it's 50 in the day. Make sure you are prepared, or just get a hotel.

Just about anywhere in Southern Ut will be hikeable but it can still be cold. Ive been at the Grand Canyon at new years temps below 0 on the south rim. As a general rule count on SLC+10 for the Grand Staircase and Colorado River, SLC+20 for the Virgin River.

Moab area dayhikes:
    Negro Bill Canyon
    Fisher Towers

Away from other people:
    Grand Gulch for backpacking
    Grand Gulch dayhikes:
    Toadie Canyon
    Shieks Canyon

Also, never forget the hikes around Kodachrome Basin. Its also a warm place to camp so you can ski or hike in Bryce NP during the day.
    "May the 4 winds blow you safely home" R. Hunter