Thread: Slot Canyons

Slot Canyons

Besides Zion Narrows, does anybody know about any cool slot canyons to hit on a weekend?
    There's a ton in Southern Utah, but it's a matter of choosing....
    Near Goblin Valley, there's that one called "little wild horse" or something like that. That's pretty cool but I've heard of better ones....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Yes! As I said in my post about the narrows, there are HUNDREDS of great slot canyons in this state. BTW, Little Wild Horse is overrated too, and way to crowded! There are much better canyons just about anywhere else in the Swell. Canyoneering is a sport that I have really gotten into big time. I do around 4 - 6 canyons a year. The best ones are the ones noone talks about, or are afraid to do because it sounds too dangerous! 8)

Any that we can go hit right now? I am getting really cooped up in my house. Let's plan a trip!

Oh yeah.....What's danger?

The problem with doing slots in the winter is the water. Most good canyons have a variety of water obstacles that require some swimming/wading to get through. In the summer that's fine because it already 100+ degrees outside. But in the winter, if you take a dip in 35 degree water and then try and hike the rest of the canyon, you're flirting with hypothermia. You can buy a full body wetsuit or drysuit (recommended), but that gets pricey. The big plus with doing slots in the winter is there is zero threat of flash floods, and no bugs!!

Little Wild Horse is a good winter canyon because it has no water. I might be doing a canyon here sometime in December. If I do, I'll let ya know.

This photo was taken in a slot canyon called Seger's Hole Canyon (aka "The Squeeze"). It had flash flooded on us about an hour prior to taking this photo, but we managed to get to high ground. We resumed hiking after the water levels dropped, and it made for waterfalls at every rappel station. The Squeeze is considered one of the riskier slot canyons in the Swell.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wow! That's cool! I would really like to try that out! Looks like a blast! No really!

Squeeze Flash

Hey... you got any more cools pics of the Squeeze flashing?

If so let's see them.

Shane Burrows
    Climb Utah - Canyoneering & Mountaineering
    http://Climb-Utah.com

Done. The newest pics are posted in the main Canyoneering forum.

Good to see Shane (aka the voice of reason) made it over here.

IS THE SWELL THE SAN RAFEL BY EMERY COUNTY AND IS THE SQUEEZE THERE ANY DERECTIONE WOULD BE APPRITIATED

I refer you to the following web address:

http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/swell/squeeze.htm

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    I refer you to the following web address:

http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/swell/squeeze.htm
    Who is that hippie in the pictures?