Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kings Peak

Kings Peak

Anyone ventured to the summit this year? I didn
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Next Year

Let's go next year. I'll definitely get in shape this time.

Count me in. My in-laws keep telling me they're "planning a trip to do this or that peak," but it always falls through last minute.

Ok I will hold you guys to it. Well get a "what to bring" list going when the time arives. It's depressing to think about how long until this white stuff melts.

Sombeech makes it

Yeah, look how SMOKED I look after barely making the peak.

What's going through his (Sombeech) mind? It looks like when you a get a christmas present from your grandma. I have to smile, I have to smile, Oh its difficult. I am having a good time. No really!

I just got back on Saturday from a backpack trip to King's Peak. The scenery was incredible as those who've been there can attest. I'll have to say though that the guy who wrote the book "Utah's Favorite Hikes" put the wrong caption on one of his King's Peak area photos. One of his photos shows a guy staring up a King's Peak with the caption "King's Peak from Anderson Pass". Nope. Not Anderson Pass. I didn't see the place where the picture had been taken until I was nearly at the top of the peak.

Anyway, here's my experience of the hike. We began on Wednesday, planning on hiking up to Bear Lake along the Western Loop Trail for that day. When we got there, we still had some energy, so we decided to keep going on up to Henry's. We wanted to get to the far side to camp, but found the river to be impassable for our small party of two. It was deep, swift and we could find no way to cross it without getting drenched. We decided to go back to Bear Lake and camp for the night, then go on up to Gunsight Pass the next day. I got worn out walking the twelve miles the first day, so the rest of the time I was trying to play catch-up and trying to do so with feet that were getting more and more hot spots, and my plantar faciitis was acting up. We camped just below Gunsight, and went on up to the Peak the next day. It was very hot during the day, and we found ice along the stream we camped by in the morning.
    We tried fishing in Dollar Lake, but I think the fish were full on mosquitoes as we had no bites at all.

Anyway, I think I'm going to throw my boots in the garbage and get some good trail shoes for the next time.

By the way, I'm Shane, I'm 46, and from Kearns.

Quote Originally Posted by jimflint1
    Hi Shane and welcome to uutah. Did you do any fishing at Bear Lake? I bet the bugs were bad? How much snow was on the chute? A guitar player huh? Cool! Sombeech and myself play as well. Though I only hack away at AC/DC songs. Put a post about yourself in the Newbies section.

Welcome, Shane!

BTW, did you take any photos of your trip?

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Did you do any fishing at Bear Lake? I bet the bugs were bad? How much snow was on the chute? A guitar player huh? Cool! Sombeech and myself play as well. Though I only hack away at AC/DC songs. Put a post about yourself in the Newbies section.
    We didn't fish at Bear. By the time we got there and set up camp, we were dog-tired. We thought about fishing the next morning but wanted to get an early start. We probably should've took the time to fish because when we got up to Gunsight Pass and decided to camp there, we ended up hanging around without a lot to do. There were a tremendous number of mosquitoes, but they weren't a constant threat, just a certain times of day. By "the chute" I'm assuming you're talking about the one that some people take as a short cut. There was still quite a bit of snow there. Also, the main trail was covered heading up to Gunsight, so everyone was just going straight up the snow field and over the top.
    As for guitar playing--I mostly play folk/bluegrass, but I do have an electric guitar that I play for fun every now and then. I play rock and blues sometimes.

Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Welcome, Shane!

BTW, did you take any photos of your trip?
    That's the funny part! My son was using this one old camera for the first time, a Pentax ME Super 35mm. He'd taken a bunch of photos and was changing rolls, when I noticed that as he put in the new roll, he neglected a step of putting the end of the film through the slot on the spool. I have the same camera, so I knew he was doing it wrong. I asked him if he put the first roll in the same way and he said "yes", that he hadn't known he was supposed to thread it through the spool (most of the automatic cameras he'd tried had done this part for him). He'd taken some great shots of some moose and scenery with this roll--and we haven't tried to develop it yet, but I'm suspecting it may have nothing on it when we do. The next roll he took though, was in right, so when we develop that I'm expecting some great shots. I took a little point and shoot camera and it konked out on me after about 8 shots--I think the battery died. But then later I tested it and it worked again. Hmm. Of course, sometimes flashlights do that too...

Shane

I play rock and blues sometimes.
    Cool, I love the blues. I'm a guitarist for 16 years. I'm currently working on a classical song, "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring".

On the other note, I hope those pictures of the trip turn out, even though they might not. I hate getting back from a beautiful trip, and seeing the pictures didn't turn out!

2 weeks ago I finally wised up and got a digital though.

How do I upload pictures? I have some on my computer now, but I don't know how to get them here.

Shane[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Cool, I love the blues. I'm a guitarist for 16 years. I'm currently working on a classical song, "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring".

You've been working on that song for a month now. No time or what?

How do I upload pictures? I have some on my computer now, but I don't know how to get them here.

Shane[/img]
    Read this post and download the free program. There is a great tutorial on that page as well. Then you will use the add attachment button at the bottom of a new post.

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Read this post and download the free program. There is a great tutorial on that page as well. Then you will use the add attachment button at the bottom of a new post.

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129
    Thanks--I'll give it a shot!

Let's try this one. Then I'll send some more as time permits.

I'll be heading up King's Peak in about a month, don't know how many pics i'll have though, cause we'll be moving pretty fast.
    Some days all you can do is smile and wait for some kind soul to come pull your ass out of the bind you've gotten yourself into

Here's another one of Bear Lake--this one with my son Ben who just left for an LDS mission yesterday. I miss my hikin' partner dearly.

Here's another one of Bear Lake--this one with my son Ben who just left for an LDS mission yesterday. I miss my hikin' partner dearly.
    Where did he go?