PDA

View Full Version : Monolith in unnamed SE Utah canyon

Glenn
11-23-2020, 07:50 PM
Anyone got ideas of where this might be?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/utah-monolith-canyon_n_5fbbf94dc5b6e4b1ea44e81e?ncid=tweetlnkush pmg00000067

Falls into the "cool.. not cool" debate maybe, but definitely intriguing.

-Glenn

Byron
11-23-2020, 08:54 PM
I reckon it's probably somewhere near Moab...probably close to a road. Also, it's likely already been found and removed by some tree hugging nut...or perhaps been blasted with graffiti.

BruteForce
11-24-2020, 05:16 AM
Udink has already located it..

Iceaxe
11-24-2020, 08:14 AM
^^^This^^^

From Udink: About half a mile walk, with a few ups-and-downs but about 75% in a dry wash.

A photo in this article showed enough background to help narrow it down. It still took me about an hour to locate it. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/utah-monolith-canyon_n_5fbbf94dc5b6e4b1ea44e81e

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201124/df280e9b5676add4ef3840c204db8faa.jpg

jman
11-24-2020, 11:25 AM
I've been doing some quick searches in Google Earth based off of Udinks photo above along with information that it's about a 1/3 mile walk from a dirt road....

Anyway it looks like it *may* be off of Lockhart basin road or Chicken Corner Safari route is my guess. I'll keep looking.

Byron
11-24-2020, 11:46 AM
Yep...like I said, somewhere near Moab. Had to be. And I bet some four wheelers planted it there, not hikers or backpackers.

If there's any more than 3 people out there who know who planted it...it'll get out. Just a matter of time.

jman
11-24-2020, 12:02 PM
Yup found it. Yes, I guessed the area right too. :)

Anyway, I just saw that Google Maps has placemark for it and sure enough..."giant metal slab".

Here's a pic:

Iceaxe
11-24-2020, 12:43 PM
Got it....

https://www.google.com/maps/place/38%C2%B020'35.1%22N+109%C2%B039'58.2%22W/@38.3433876,-109.6655324,16z/data=!3m1!1e3

jman
11-24-2020, 01:22 PM
Yup found it. Yes, I guessed the area right too. :)

Anyway, I just saw that Google Maps has placemark for it and sure enough..."giant metal slab".

Here's a pic:

That's interesting. The "giant metal slab" is gone from Google Maps now. lol

Iceaxe
11-24-2020, 03:35 PM
That's interesting. The "giant metal slab" is gone from Google Maps now. lol

I posted the coordinates to my Climb-Utah Facebook page and the hate mail is flooding in.....
:roflol: :roflol::roflol:

devo_stevo
11-24-2020, 03:41 PM
Gave your page a follow just because you did that. :haha:

devo_stevo
11-24-2020, 03:45 PM
And the google reviews are rolling in. All of them in the last 3 hours. The secret is out...
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Silver+Obelisk/@38.3430772,-109.6667254,160m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m7!3m6!1s0x8748038aded3aa55:0x832c9 a2752f13df2!8m2!3d38.3430772!4d-109.6661782!9m1!1b1

rockgremlin
11-24-2020, 04:08 PM
Oh gimme a break...:roll:

Like the average weekend warrior is gonna go out there anyway - that thing is hell and gone on dirt roads. Most folks will stick with Arches or Sand Flats.

BruteForce
11-25-2020, 03:16 AM
I was going to be in that area this Saturday anyway, guess I'll be stopping by for a selfie! :naughty:

Iceaxe
11-25-2020, 07:51 AM
At first I wasn't really interested in the Monolith, but as it gathers more media attention it has dragged me in wanting to know where, what and why... we now have the where.

I also know it showed up on Google Earth between 8/2015 and 10/2016, so it's been there a while.

jman
11-25-2020, 07:55 AM
I’ve noticed the same thing with my friends too. One friend said he was even “obsessed” about it in so much that he IS going down there before everyone converges in the coming weeks. He says he has a bad case of FOMO (fear of missing out) going on, especially as it was mystery, no one knew it’s location for a bit, wants to see it before it’s removed etc.

I imagine others are getting that same urge.

The BLM says they are not interested but my guess is that it will be removed in the near future as more and more shine it’s light on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sombeech
11-25-2020, 08:10 AM
The person that put it there is crapping their pants now

Sombeech
11-25-2020, 08:15 AM
The BLM says they are not interested but my guess is that it will be removed in the near future as more and more shine it’s light on it.

I'm sure restrictions will be made soon, parking will be a mess on that small road. Just wait until it hits Instagram, it might be there already.

Just like those canals out near Wendover with the super blue salty water, people saw a post on Instagram and then dozens of people started parking on the side of the freeway, inflating their Stand Up Paddleboards, kayaks and taking them into this canal for the Instagram shots. This all happened within about 2 weeks before a public statement was made. EDIT, but then again, that was different, next to the interstate causing traffic jams, possible accidents. Who knows, but the crowds are already down there as of now.

It's BLM down there but I imagine something will come up, some kind of public notice. I wouldn't be surprised if the original creator or artist comes forward out of guilt, apologizing for the public spectacle and/or any injuries that occurred finding it.

Hopefully the cellular data is ok right there for the Instagram posts.

Sombeech
11-25-2020, 08:17 AM
LOL too late

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIAzJ2PH_Mo/

jman
11-25-2020, 10:42 AM
LOL too late

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIAzJ2PH_Mo/

Yeah, good ole Diesel Dave from Diesel Brothers. I wonder what its like to be quite rich and fly a helicopter straight there. And I think maybe 1/2 of those people there are his henchmen and not tourists. The location was spilled publicly yesterday. Sure, others have guessed it before but I have my reservations about people "randomly" finding it.

It took me about 3-4 hours searching on Google Earth and eventually found the area. And I know Moab quite well. But it was difficult. Most non-Google earth people are not just going to find it. Even Google Earth savy people like myself (and Udink) is going to spend more just a few mins looking at it.

So, people are saying that it is a very popular trail, etc. and on Backcountrypost.com someone even said that they were "1/2 mile away from it! just the other day". I call BS on all of that. I mapped out the entire route from the monolith to main street in Moab and it was 41 miles. And maybe 35 miles of that is dirt road. And tough dirt roads at that. And when I was tracing out the "road", I didn't see a single vehicle on the road. Way back on Kane Creek road I saw lots of vehicles, but not one way out in Lockhart Basin. You would need a dirtbike, SxS, or pretty heavily modified Jeep getting there. LOL no subarus will be getting there. In fact, it may be even faster to hike from the Needles Lookout to the monolith, but it would be quite the adventure scaling those cliffs!

Oh yeah....plus, the distance and time in getting to the monolith from Moab. So if you are going 20 miles hour (average) it's going to take you two full hours to drive there! And 20 miles and hour is pretty fast on a challenging, rock filled road. Most SxS and Jeeps aint' got no time for that. They rather spend their time close to town and tourists so they can rev their engine super loud and look cool. Let's be honest, the urban Side by Sides are not going out too far, more than 5 miles. They NEED to show off their $20K vehicle. They aren't going to get it dirty. eww....dirt. LOL oh...my disdain for urban SxS and nightime SxS drivers. :angryfire:

Anyway,

Here's a pic from my Google Earth path that I drew out that shows the 41 miles of roads getting there.

rockgremlin
11-25-2020, 11:24 AM
^^^Nice, JMan...that's kind of what I suspected all along. The 4x4 crowd might venture out there but you're going to see very few Moab tourists venture out there. It's just too much time and work. Easier to just hike up Powerhouse or cruise around Sand Flats.

Curious when the BLM is going to remove it.

Udink
11-25-2020, 11:34 AM
Yeah, good ole Diesel Dave from Diesel Brothers. I wonder what its like to be quite rich and fly a helicopter straight there. And I think maybe 1/2 of those people there are his henchmen and not tourists. The location was spilled publicly yesterday. Sure, others have guessed it before but I have my reservations about people "randomly" finding it.

It took me about 3-4 hours searching on Google Earth and eventually found the area. And I know Moab quite well. But it was difficult. Most non-Google earth people are not just going to find it. Even Google Earth savy people like myself (and Udink) is going to spend more just a few mins looking at it.

So, people are saying that it is a very popular trail, etc. and on Backcountrypost.com someone even said that they were "1/2 mile away from it! just the other day". I call BS on all of that. I mapped out the entire route from the monolith to main street in Moab and it was 41 miles. And maybe 35 miles of that is dirt road. And tough dirt roads at that. And when I was tracing out the "road", I didn't see a single vehicle on the road. Way back on Kane Creek road I saw lots of vehicles, but not one way out in Lockhart Basin. You would need a dirtbike, SxS, or pretty heavily modified Jeep getting there. LOL no subarus will be getting there. In fact, it may be even faster to hike from the Needles Lookout to the monolith, but it would be quite the adventure scaling those cliffs!

Oh yeah....plus, the distance and time in getting to the monolith from Moab. So if you are going 20 miles hour (average) it's going to take you two full hours to drive there! And 20 miles and hour is pretty fast on a challenging, rock filled road. Most SxS and Jeeps aint' got no time for that. They rather spend their time close to town and tourists so they can rev their engine super loud and look cool. Let's be honest, the urban Side by Sides are not going out too far, more than 5 miles. They NEED to show off their $20K vehicle. They aren't going to get it dirty. eww....dirt. LOL oh...my disdain for urban SxS and nightime SxS drivers. :angryfire:

Anyway,

Here's a pic from my Google Earth path that I drew out that shows the 41 miles of roads getting there.

The dirt road coming in from the south (off Highway 211) is much shorter and is easy 2WD high-clearance. And, yes, IntrepidXJ really did drive right past it on the Lockhart Basin Road last weekend.

jman
11-25-2020, 11:59 AM
^^^Nice, JMan...that's kind of what I suspected all along. The 4x4 crowd might venture out there but you're going to see very few Moab tourists venture out there. It's just too much time and work. Easier to just hike up Powerhouse or cruise around Sand Flats.

Curious when the BLM is going to remove it.

Thanks!

Also, to answer your question, I just got done watching HeavyD's youtube video on it when he arrived there was two dude's already there (who took the two hour drive) and two BLM rangers. In his video HeavyD said that the rangers where asking the people there what they would like to see happen to it - whether to keep it or remove it. Everyone said to keep it...but who knows what will actually happen in the end. I think the drive alone will deter most everyone. Although I am waiting for a Subaru to get there.
You can see that part here in this video starting around 11:30 min.

https://youtu.be/U63zicCAQIk?t=695

Also, if you watch the entire video, HeavyD contradicts himself I noticed. In the beginning he talked about how HE discovered it using flight data from the DPS flight, but later in the video when he meets up with the guy already there, he asks "how'd you guys found it?" And the guy replies back that "we found the coordinates on.....BLEEP(CENSORED in video)..." and then HeavyD replies "so did I ! ...yeah, that guy did a damn fine job finding it". Hmm.

So he claims that he himself found it earlier, but here in the video he admits that everyone found it online due to a guy finding it and posting it." My guess the "censored" part in the video is because the guy said "reddit". And on the reddit forum, a guy posted the coordinates there. And HeavyD looks like he is part of the reddit crowd, so I'm pretty sure in my assumption that's exactly what happened. He followed the Reddit thread, found the coordinates online that someone else found and claimed he found it. The "Brodozer" cult needs to stop.

I digress...

:haha:

Sombeech
11-25-2020, 12:14 PM
Ha ha yeah those guys love to be involved with any media drama. Just a couple of months ago with the missing girl in north Ogden, he brought his helicopter up, flew around just making a big scene and accomplished nothing but a big mess. That whole story about the missing girl is another big mess, all kinds of holes in the story but that's for another thread.

My buddy Dave and I were driving back over the pass from biking and it was chaos up there. 10 drones I the air, 2 helicopters, and a thousand people searching for a girl that was never lost.

jman
11-25-2020, 12:19 PM
The dirt road coming in from the south (off Highway 211) is much shorter and is easy 2WD high-clearance. And, yes, @IntrepidXJ (http://www.bogley.com/forum/member.php?u=17665) really did drive right past it on the Lockhart Basin Road last weekend.

Oh yes, the other way way down there. We explored Lockhart years ago in Jeeps and we came to a wash that you had to ford and it was super muddy and couldn't get out of it, so we had to turn back around. Guess that wash dried up now? Since we couldn't get past that spot we did the Kane Creek approach down to Lockhart. Good to know that most high-clearance vehicles will be able to make it now. Guess I'll need to revisit that road again. And if that road was as easy as you claimed, then that makes sense that your friend was out and about out there. Because the other way via Kane Creek, I was thinking no way...

And I mapped out on Google Earth from the 211 turnoff and it only shows 16.5 miles. But, the distance from Moab is where that 2 hr drive kicks in.

The blue route is the 211 route. Red route is Kane Ceek.

devo_stevo
11-25-2020, 12:21 PM
Was just going to say that the road on the south end of it is a lot easier drive. It's a long way from anywhere though so that might keep the crowds down a bit. Who knows.

jman
11-25-2020, 12:27 PM
Ha ha yeah those guys love to be involved with any media drama. Just a couple of months ago with the missing girl in north Ogden, he brought his helicopter up, flew around just making a big scene and accomplished nothing but a big mess. That whole story about the missing girl is another big mess, all kinds of holes in the story but that's for another thread.

My buddy Dave and I were driving back over the pass from biking and it was chaos up there. 10 drones I the air, 2 helicopters, and a thousand people searching for a girl that was never lost.

Oh yeah. I saw your FB drama all about that too :haha:. I haven't kept up with that story but what was the end result? Runaway?

I mean I get it...you're a guy in your 30s that started with a decent mechanic store...rose to instant internet and tv celebrity. Have tons of sponsors and throwing money at you. But in the end. He's just bored...and rich. His henchmen show him these cool places and he uses his money and influence to get it done. And it works. But he has an end-goal. He wants to get 10 MILLION subscribers on his youtube channel. That's crazy! That's so much.

BruteForce
11-25-2020, 03:51 PM
So my run up/back to Elephant Hill this weekend is likely going to be a zoo. I guess we'll see the monolith since its just a few miles North..

Byron
11-25-2020, 05:18 PM
The Monolith...I'm mostly interested in it's construction.

My best guess is that it's plywood wrapped with aluminum sheeting...hollow inside and filled at least a third the way up with rocks and sand to keep it from blowing over. Also, it looks like the guy that put it there may have used a hammer and chisel to plan it in the slick rock...probably smashed out a couple inches.

In other words, good enough for the wind...but give it a good kick and over it goes.

Sombeech
11-28-2020, 05:16 PM
By the way, cancel your plans to see it, it's gone already, removed.

https://www.abc4.com/news/top-stories/mysterious-utah-monolith-disappears/

admin
11-28-2020, 06:14 PM

Byron
11-28-2020, 07:08 PM
95813Oh, my...is this the actual "God of Bogley" paying us a visit? If it is...thanks for letting us run rampant around here. :2thumbs:

moab mark
11-28-2020, 07:57 PM
Error

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

rockgremlin
11-28-2020, 08:19 PM

What is the blue pyramid in it's place?

stefan
11-29-2020, 02:26 AM
What is the blue pyramid in it's place?

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/11/28/utahs-desert-obelisk-has/

BruteForce
11-30-2020, 05:28 AM
So we stayed in Monticello Fri-Sunday. We visited the Monolith Friday and Saturday. We couldn't care about seeing the actual structure so much as watching the chaos ensue as hundreds of vehicles raced each other down the trail. There's no parking lot, so you can only imagine how cars, SxS's, ATV's and even motorcycles parked adjacent the trail.

We had a running bet that started Thursday. 1) Would it be vandalized <yes, it was by Friday afternoon>, 2) would it be shot up <no, we saw no bullet holes>, 3) would it be toppled <it was worn badly, but still standing, and 4) would it be gone <not on Friday, but it was by SAT morning>

I had drone video, but alas, my drone went nuts Sunday afternoon while I was trying to overfly the Gordon Creek train bridge and it crashed into the cliff above the bridge..

BasinCruiser
11-30-2020, 07:09 AM

BasinCruiser
12-01-2020, 09:19 AM
https://www.facebook.com/1370373973075838/posts/3421370297976185/?d=n

BasinCruiser
12-01-2020, 10:16 AM
Who wants to make a buck?

https://www.deseret.com/entertainment/2020/11/30/21752958/utah-monolith-ripleys-believe-it-or-not-romania?fbclid=IwAR1MzmokxiBlA65l7MnzuXH9-YOr4MGhTX8gFHJeERxql1QHWeymtlf7upk

oldno7
12-02-2020, 05:59 PM
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/526x526q90/922/DF5skV.jpg

admin
12-06-2020, 07:50 PM
New Monolith found in Wyoming.