PDA

View Full Version : Help Buying an AR-15 - what functions do you look for?

DirkHammergate
10-15-2020, 12:32 PM
I've put this off long enough, it's time to buy an AR-15. What do you guys look for, what certain functions and features?

I do like the smaller AR's that I can carry around from place to place, but what would you suggest? Noise? Multiple clips? A certain firing threshold?

Is it worth buying a smaller one to carry it around easier, or should I go for a larger model with a strap, is mobility a factor?

Thanks

rockgremlin
10-15-2020, 12:49 PM
I've put this off long enough, it's time to buy an AR-15. What do you guys look for, what certain functions and features?

I do like the smaller AR's that I can carry around from place to place, but what would you suggest? Noise? Multiple clips? A certain firing threshold?

Is it worth buying a smaller one to carry it around easier, or should I go for a larger model with a strap, is mobility a factor?

Thanks

Good questions. I'll also add: Where's the best place to purchase one?

A while ago I stumbled onto the website of some dude legally selling registered firearms out of his basement in some suburb of Salt Lake. I thought it was either a joke or a scam but it turned out to be legit. I have since lost the link. :roll:

DirkHammergate
10-15-2020, 01:12 PM
Good questions. I'll also add: Where's the best place to purchase one?

I bought my S&W 9 at Gallensons, you know, buy local.

dougrz
10-15-2020, 05:12 PM

oldno7
10-15-2020, 06:22 PM
Just go with a black one

oldno7
10-15-2020, 07:25 PM
these are generally the best mags,

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi0.wp.com%2Fwww.lasermags.com%2Fw p-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F10%2FIMG_1608-e1545938835799.jpg%3Ffit%3D800%252C1200%26ssl%3D1&f=1&nofb=1

rockgremlin
10-15-2020, 08:28 PM
these are generally the best mags,

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi0.wp.com%2Fwww.lasermags.com%2Fw p-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F10%2FIMG_1608-e1545938835799.jpg%3Ffit%3D800%252C1200%26ssl%3D1&f=1&nofb=1

Lol perfect.

And don't call this a "clip" - it's a magazine. If you call it a clip the guys at the gun store will chuckle behind your back. :haha:

DirkHammergate
10-15-2020, 08:36 PM
And don't call this a "clip" - it's a magazine. If you call it a clip the guys at the gun store will chuckle behind your back. :haha:

Yeah, I have a bunch for my .223. Thanks for the gun store tips though.

Sombeech
10-16-2020, 11:57 AM
Make sure it's got both the 15 and the AR on it.

rockgremlin
10-16-2020, 12:17 PM
Here's some more supplemental material to help you in your quest:

Sombeech
10-16-2020, 01:20 PM
Be sure you get the Automatic and not Semi Automatic bullets here.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71tkngFg5vL._AC_SY355_.jpg

oldno7
10-16-2020, 06:08 PM
It feels so good to be able to help our local communist in his gun purchase:assault:

Byron
10-16-2020, 07:30 PM
It feels so good to be able to help our local communist in his gun purchase:assault:Yeah...WTF? He's done nothing to earn the advice. I wouldn't tell him a thing because damn near everything he says sounds dubious...I'd go shooting with any of you guys but I sure wouldn't turn by back on this asshole.

So what happened Dick? Take a blow to the head and finally come to your senses or looking to avenge what Rittenhouse did?

dougrz
10-16-2020, 09:16 PM
Yeah...WTF? He's done nothing to earn the advice.

Damn, I'm sorry. I didn't remember he was a commie.

It's his admission of 2 things: 1, a Dem sweep means the 2A is toast and ARs will go NFA. 2, he's arming up to go street fight when Trump wins.

Byron
10-17-2020, 05:46 AM
Damn, I'm sorry. I didn't remember he was a commie.

It's his admission of 2 things: 1, a Dem sweep means the 2A is toast and ARs will go NFA. 2, he's arming up to go street fight when Trump wins.Personally, I couldn't care less about his political ideology, that's his business. It's just that if he starts shooting I really don't know who it is he'll be shooting at...maybe people like you and me.

This guy throws rocks from the bushes and then wants to come in for a seat at the campfire...well, screw you. Respect is earned, not granted.

BruteForce
10-17-2020, 07:22 AM
Most any basic AR-15 platform can be heavily modified. Find one that is chambered for either 5.56 or 7.62. Avoid those only chambered for .223. Although today, they're going to be tough to find, find one that has rails already affixed and can have optics attached without too much modification.

Those that are chambered for 9mm, .45, etc.. are fun, but finding magazines could be problematic, whereas .223/5.56 mags are out en masse..

BasinCruiser
10-17-2020, 09:34 AM
At this point in the game - anything someone has in stock.

Iceaxe
10-17-2020, 11:18 AM
At this point in the game - anything someone has in stock.^^^This^^^

The selection is currently overpriced and very thin.

Climb-Utah.com

dougrz
10-17-2020, 12:00 PM
^^^This^^^

The selection is currently overpriced and very thin.

Climb-Utah.comNot overpriced imo. If ARs go NFA at the stroke of an ATF pen, supply goes to zero with no warning. That can happen with no Congressional action and no public awareness of a decision drop.

Cheapest route is a quality upper, like a PSA, and an 80 lower.

rich67
10-18-2020, 07:29 PM
I bought my first AR a few years ago. It was an Adams Arms with a 16 inch barrel. Chambered for 223 or 556. That’s a great round for a rifle, since it has good accuracy and is cheap to plink around with at the range. I wanted to build a 300 blackout rifle from the lower of the Adams Arms. I chose to make an AR pistol by purchasing a Grid Defense upper with an 8.5 inch barrel. I added a new bolt carrier group and brace, and I have an awesome personal defense (and compact) rifle. It fits in a small case that is very unassuming for transport. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201019/8e1fa41ef4974ac86407a926b07a9ce0.jpg
The 300 BO is a good cartridge and the rifle itself isn’t a a loud as a 556 being shot out of a short barrel-my friend has a 556 and we go deaf at the range with it. The 300 also has the option to be suppressed and very quiet with subsonic ammo, which is why I built it. You really have to decide what you want it for. If it’s just to have fun at the range, stick with the 223/556 platform. If you want a shorter barrel, give the 300 a chance. Just keep in mind that 300 ammo is harder to come by right now. For home defense any rifle will work well, but I personally prefer 300 BO suppressed so you don’t go deaf protecting your family indoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iceaxe
10-18-2020, 08:21 PM
For home defense any rifle will work well,

For home defense you want a shotgun.

If I want to do some serious damage I'm going with a high powered centerline rife with good optics that can reach out and touch someone. The most feared soldier on a battle field is a sniper.

The guys running through the streets with an AR is what is known in military terms as cannon fodder.

YMMV

Climb-Utah.com

Byron
10-18-2020, 08:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hlykGQ7nM0

dougrz
11-07-2020, 12:07 PM
Not overpriced imo. If ARs go NFA at the stroke of an ATF pen, supply goes to zero with no warning. That can happen with no Congressional action and no public awareness of a decision drop.

Cheapest route is a quality upper, like a PSA, and an 80 lower.Given the new reality, no price is the ceiling now. We will see buying like never before.

Even without a sweep, I'm reading the Biden DOJ will lawfare the industry regardless.

Worst case, we all have to decide if we live as felons or surrender, and do what if agents come knocking.

Byron
11-07-2020, 01:49 PM
Worst case, we all have to decide if we live as felons or surrender, and do what if agents come knocking."What gun? I don't own a gun"...you boys wanna have a look around? Go right ahead".

Iceaxe
11-19-2020, 04:44 PM
Worst case, we all have to decide if we live as felons or surrender, and do what if agents come knocking.

I don't know about you... but if someone enters my house uninvited I'm going to shoot them... Utah is a castle doctrine state.

....if they want my guns they will have to take them by force....

YMMV

dougrz
11-19-2020, 05:46 PM
I don't know about you... but if someone enters my house uninvited I'm going to shoot them... Utah is a castle doctrine state.

....if they want my guns they will have to take them by force....

YMMVThis is my belief. If and when confiscation starts- and I don't think it would for many years, until consolidation of leftist power- a series of high profile resistance shootings would be necessary to stop it.

Meaning, the first 1k owners targeted for raids take down agents and sacrifice themselves. No other choice.

rockgremlin
11-19-2020, 06:19 PM
This is my belief. If and when confiscation starts- and I don't think it would for many years, until consolidation of leftist power- a series of high profile resistance shootings would be necessary to stop it.

Meaning, the first 1k owners targeted for raids take down agents and sacrifice themselves. No other choice.

I think before it got to that point there would be a LOT of insurrection within the ranks of law enforcement. Most law enforcement officers own guns themselves and have a firm respect for the 2nd Amendment. Especially in the states of WY, MT, ID, UT, TX, and AZ. Either way you cut it, it would be a complete mess all around, and many folks would get killed.

dougrz
11-19-2020, 06:28 PM
I think before it got to that point there would be a LOT of insurrection within the ranks of law enforcement.

I would hope so. But when the power is great and their paychecks come from that power, would they? Local sheriffs probably yes. Federal agents no.

Iceaxe
11-19-2020, 07:47 PM
Federal agents no.

Hahaha... I don't think they pay the Fed's enough to knowingly walk into that shit storm... the Bundy standoff taught us if we stand together the Fed's have no power.

dougrz
11-19-2020, 09:00 PM
Hahaha... I don't think they pay the Fed's enough to knowingly walk into that shit storm... the Bundy standoff taught us if we stand together the Fed's have no power.I actually went to the Bundy rallies and was there the day the Feds backed off. I was at the bridge.

Given the coming scenario, the Feds, in coordination with the media, will make high profile, highly publicized raids to scare the populace into compliance. Raid teams hand picked to be loyal to confiscation orders.

This is leftist power projection 101. It'll come down to standing together, you are correct. But they will target single homes, guys with families. That makes "standing together" difficult. The first many, many targets will have to have the courage to fire back and go down.

double moo
11-19-2020, 09:09 PM
I just don't see it happening. If you recall, some years back during the obama terms, guns and ammo werre near impossible to aquire. Everyone was talking confiscation and such. A huge number of law enforcement heads signed on and published declarations that they would not participate. The military is sworn to defend the constitution not the powers in office. And Scotus should lean the right way. I believe the right folks will prevail - hopefully without needless deaths.

oldno7
11-19-2020, 09:11 PM
you gun guys--whatyda think you're gonna do, hold off the army.

real hunters don't need huge clipazines to shoot a deer...:assault:

Iceaxe
11-19-2020, 09:27 PM
The 2nd amendment was never about hunting.

The 2nd amendment is not about saving lives.

Several of our founding fathers didn't think we needed a Bill of Rights because the items listed were self evident to even the dumbest individual...

Just saying....

dougrz
11-20-2020, 03:41 AM
The 2nd amendment was never about hunting

It is about hunting. Hunting politicians.

I heard that from, iirc, someone who testified on Capitol hill years ago.

dougrz
11-20-2020, 05:59 PM
Here's a question for everyone.

Let's say Trump amplifies the foreign interference angle. Come Jan 20 he refuses to leave as a matter of nat sec and Biden's fraudulence.

He calls for armed supporters to rise up and enter DC to fight.

Would people go?

I'm not talking random guys and groups doing this. I specifically and only mean a call from Trump.

I considered this a 0% possibility before the press conference yesterday. Now it's very small, but non-zero.

dougrz
11-21-2020, 03:16 AM
To wit, a caller on Rush's show yesterday said something interesting.

2 min clip here, culminating in his words starting at 1:48.

----
Is the @GOP listening to what the base is saying right now?

https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1330038105521483778

dougrz
11-21-2020, 05:53 AM
^ This caller epitomizes those who realize MAGA isn't supported on the national stage by anyone other than Trump. Dems are hard left, and Repubs are still corporatist and pro China trade at their core. There's no one else.

Post-Trump, whether now or 2024, is crisis level schism. Guys like this, which is probably 2/3 of the party now, will not vote for Jeb and Haley or any other establishment crud R.