PDA

View Full Version : The details of BLM travel management plan for the San Rafael Desert in Utah

walkthetaco
12-30-2019, 08:27 AM
https://medium.com/@crystalmuzik/the-details-of-blm-travel-management-plan-for-the-san-rafael-desert-in-utah-4cfeac96a4ae

public comment due jan 13th, seeking to add more motorized routes to the area SW of Green River, Utah

middlefork
12-30-2019, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I'll be voting Option B.

rockgremlin
12-30-2019, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I'll be voting Option B.

Yeah I could live with Options A or B.

C and/or D might be a little too many new routes.

YMMV

Iceaxe
12-31-2019, 02:09 AM
I'm going with D. Whatever SUWA is for I'm the exact opposite.

This is also a little misleading as none of these are 'new' routes as they are all roads that were open at one time and than closed.

Climb-Utah.com

rockgremlin
12-31-2019, 07:02 AM
....none of these are 'new' routes as they are all roads that were open at one time and than closed.

That's what I wondered about. Most of them are probably old prospecting/mining roads.

twotimer
12-31-2019, 04:52 PM
I'd reserve casting a vote until I've had to chance to cruise in there and look around. With the exception of Horseshoe Canyon, it seems pretty sandy...too sandy for biking, for sure. I've driven the back road to Green River in there several times (drove right by the entrance to Blue John when Ralston was in there, unbeknownst to me)...but otherwise seems a bit barren.

I'd like to hear Udink's opinion on this...if he's familiar with the area.

Udink
01-03-2020, 02:28 PM
I'm going with D. Whatever SUWA is for I'm the exact opposite.

This is also a little misleading as none of these are 'new' routes as they are all roads that were open at one time and than closed.
Yep, I'm with you on doing the exact opposite of what SUWA wants. And you're correct, there are no "new" routes, just existing routes that weren't included in the latest management plan.

The first time I ever drove in the San Rafael Desert, the entire place was open to cross-country travel. Just a couple of years later it was changed to "designated routes only," but it's not enough for SUWA to close down literally 99% of the area to motorized travel. Even if they got everything they wanted from the new travel management plan, they'd be back later demanding more closures.

This is the best article (http://www.moabsunnews.com/news/article_f915b538-2da8-11ea-b4e2-bfbd779e7312.html) I've seen on the subject. The article in the original post is obviously one-sided, and the supposed "example" photos aren't even in the San Rafael Desert.

oldno7
01-03-2020, 02:50 PM
Laura Peterson, staff attorney at SUWA. “Certainly we’re not trying to outlaw the use of off-road vehicles on public lands.

Sounds an awful like Ralph coonman of Virginia stating "we don't want to take your guns.

Neither statement is sincere and couldn't be further from the truth.

Ivalodgehym
05-22-2021, 06:03 AM
It seems to be a perfect travel plan. I really want to get to Burj Khalifa at the top and plan this summer to go there. I searched on https://exporeemies.com/burj-khalifa-ctickets-prices-deals/ to see what prices are at the tickets and the rest of the details to be informed. I want to take a ticket on the 148th floor because the view there does not compare to anything else. In addition, I read how to save up for tickets and this way is much more advantageous. I can not wait to realize my dream.