PDA

View Full Version : Sidestep Canyon Slot

stanwagon
11-13-2019, 06:33 AM
93478Sidestep Canyon at the S end of Grand Staircase (not far from Page) has a beautiful slot canyon (Entrada sandstone) in its western fork. I tried it last year and stopped, but two days ago I got all the way through. There were five steep steps involving 5.6 rock climbing (jamming in the narrow slot). I have found no reports anywhere of anyone passing all the way through it. Does anyone know anything about it in this regard?

Stan Wagon
Silverthorne, Colo.

twotimer
11-13-2019, 03:20 PM
Hello Stan...it's Byron. Haven't seen you in quite a while, eh? Looks like you're still cruising, that's good.

Don't know a damn thing about that canyon you found. Now I'm curious as to where exactly it is.

Iceaxe
11-13-2019, 04:00 PM
Don't know a damn thing about that canyon you found. Now I'm curious as to where exactly it is.

^^^This^^^

stanwagon
11-13-2019, 06:03 PM
Sidestep Canyon is easy to find. I learned of it from the Martres book on Photographing Utah. One drives four miles N out of Church Wells, and then an easy 2-mile path leads to the rim of the tributary of Sidestep that has this slot. Main Sidestep is a bit farther along. Some people come into it from Wahweap Creek, but that is long.

The slot itself is medium-length. Certainly long enough to be interesting. I went upstream. One can do it in either direction of course, and anyone with rock climbing experience can do it unroped. I am wondering if Stalagmite Slot is a nice name for it. The colors are dull (compared to Navajo slots) but the shapes are great, and the two areas on either side of the slot are well worth exploring.

stefan
11-13-2019, 09:43 PM
hi stan,

nick smith has guided this slot canyon for a little while if it's the same one in sidestep canyon. he calls it "blue wonder slot" because in the winter months the sky casts a deep blue hue on the white walls. he usually descends the canyon. that's great you got back to ascend it!

stanwagon
11-14-2019, 06:10 AM
Thanks. You are right. Some web searching confirms that it is indeed the same.

https://seldomseenadventures.wordpress.com/slot-canyons-of-the-grand-saircase/

Thanks again. So any would it become blue? Perhaps with low sun and a blue sky the latter dominates.

fachries
11-14-2019, 06:35 AM
Sidestep Canyon is easy to find. I learned of it from the Martres book on Photographing Utah. One drives four miles N out of Church Wells, and then an easy 2-mile path leads to the rim of the tributary of Sidestep that has this slot. Main Sidestep is a bit farther along. Some people come into it from Wahweap Creek, but that is long.

The slot itself is medium-length. Certainly long enough to be interesting. I went upstream. One can do it in either direction of course, and anyone with rock climbing experience can do it unroped. I am wondering if Stalagmite Slot is a nice name for it. The colors are dull (compared to Navajo slots) but the shapes are great, and the two areas on either side of the slot are well worth exploring.
+1
https://dwnld.icu/assets/93/BB.jpg

wisconnyjohnny
11-29-2019, 07:35 AM
excited to check this out stan. Alas gotta wait till spring when I head back to Moab. currently suffering in the icebox near Granby 😂😂😂🤙🏻 Thanks for sharing.

stanwagon
11-29-2019, 06:02 PM
Ah Granby: I am close by in Silverthorne and look forward to my trips over there for ski races at Snow Mtn Ranch and Devil's Thumb. I have several more interesting photos of Blue Wonder Slot, and a full report is at the first link at: http://stanwagon.com/wagon/utah/utah.html