PDA

View Full Version : Hiking is Better!

tallsteve
08-09-2019, 07:26 AM
Ran into these fine young ladies (I use the term loosely) yesterday afternoon. I could hear them talking from a ways off. As I waited for them to pass me so I could descend, in between f-bombs out of her mouth every other word, she was telling her friends how much better hiking was for a good workout vs. mtn. biking because the mtn. bikers only ever go downhill. She didn't see me or know I could hear her. I should have spoken up and said, "Yeah, I'm going downhill now but, I had to climb 1,700' first to get here". Haha. I hike. A lot. I can offer a fair comparison. Mtn. biking is a better workout. Change my mind.

Sombeech
08-09-2019, 07:34 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/p0RDMJGgMXF96/source.gif

dougrz
08-09-2019, 07:59 PM
In my younger years I was a serious road racer. In my later years a serious backpacker and hiker. In between I dabbled in mtb for a year or two. No question mtb is a better workout over a fixed amount of time. Road cycling below mtb. Hiking last. Not even close.

She's not understanding the difference between the feel of weight bearing on the feet vs the total cardio of cycling.

That said, road cycling can reasonably exceed mtb since it's easier to ride further and longer. But 1 hour of mtb > 1 hour of road > 1 hour of hiking.

rockgremlin
08-10-2019, 09:34 AM
Shoulda said "I'll give you a workout, sweetheart." :naughty:

BasinCruiser
08-10-2019, 07:59 PM
‘MTB is no workout because they only go downhill’.

Ive seen rodies make this same statement as well.

Sombeech
08-12-2019, 08:03 AM
‘MTB is no workout because they only go downhill’.

Ive seen rodies make this same statement as well.

And I'm ok with that too

Sombeech
08-12-2019, 08:04 AM
Hell I think even riding my ebike is more of a workout than hiking

rockgremlin
08-12-2019, 08:15 AM
Hell I think even riding my ebike is more of a workout than hiking

....unless the hike happens to be Angel's Landing or King's Peak or Mount Olympus etc, etc....

tallsteve
08-12-2019, 09:40 AM
Shoulda said "I'll give you a workout, sweetheart." :naughty:

Except nothing screamed "We're lesbians, totally butch, no dudes allowed", more than these three, haha!

tallsteve
08-12-2019, 09:45 AM
In my younger years I was a serious road racer. In my later years a serious backpacker and hiker. In between I dabbled in mtb for a year or two. No question mtb is a better workout over a fixed amount of time. Road cycling below mtb. Hiking last. Not even close.

She's not understanding the difference between the feel of weight bearing on the feet vs the total cardio of cycling.

That said, road cycling can reasonably exceed mtb since it's easier to ride further and longer. But 1 hour of mtb > 1 hour of road > 1 hour of hiking.

This is my experience as well.
I used to road bike a lot. And I like to climb so those are the routes I'd look for. I had to road ride at least twice the time and three times the miles to get the same workout as I I get on my mtb rides.

rockgremlin
08-12-2019, 10:08 AM
Except nothing screamed "We're lesbians, totally butch, no dudes allowed", more than these three, haha!

MMF

himothy
04-06-2020, 09:26 PM
Haha. MTB is a way better workout. Too bad they probably never tried it.