PDA

View Full Version : NOT Bridal Veil Falls No. 1, Provo Canyon

Scott Card
06-18-2019, 09:42 PM
So, in response to this thread: http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?79515-Can-Anyone-Help-Me-Figure-Out-the-Name-for-this-Waterfall-in-Provo-Canyon I went up to Bridal Veil Falls parking lot to find the trail to the waterfall to the west southwest of Bridal Veil Falls. Using Shauna's map I easily found the trail from the bike path. After hiking for a few minutes i noticed not only the waterfall that Shauna was wondering about, but I saw a smaller one to the right. 92860

After hiking a little bit further, I came to the power poles (3 of them) and took this picture.

From here it is about 200 feet further that you will come to the draining for the first and smaller waterfall. The creek bed is dry at the trail.

I bush-whacked up the creek bed only to find a fairly recent and nasty dead deer. Maggots and stink galore. Some animal had drug some of the guts about 20 feet down the creek bed so I got to side step nastiness twice. About 50 feet from the falls, the stream appeared. This is what the little water fall looks like at the base.

It is a pristine little place, now that I carried out the three empty and old water bottles. Nice little 40 minute lunch hike. The bad, I didn't bring hiking shoes to the office, so I thought I would cowboy up and wear my cowboy boots. Big Mistake. The good, I figured out that I need to replace my hiking boots because I had no Achilles tendon pain that I would get with my regular hiking shoes. Bottom line, I would not consider this waterfall a destination waterfall by any means, but a nice little walk away from all the crowds. I only saw one person at the beginning of the walk and didn't see another soul until I got back to the bike path. The parking lot was packed and the park was crowded. I will talk to Provo City and see if they know the name of these falls. If not, one will be named Scott's waterfall and the other will be Card's waterfall. :haha:

oldno7
06-19-2019, 05:42 AM
really nice picture--what camera/lens?

I see you even have the pole on the left 1/3 of picture, very well done:2thumbs:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=92858&d=1560918176

Scott Card
06-19-2019, 08:20 AM
really nice picture--what camera/lens?

I see you even have the pole on the left 1/3 of picture, very well done:2thumbs: Just my old Samsung 6+ Edge phone. I guess my old High School photo class days are still with me. "Never center the subject matter" was ingrained in my head, I guess. I didn't even think about it when I took the photo. Lol.

oldno7
06-19-2019, 09:32 AM
I guess my old High School photo class days are still with me.

Didn't cameras back then require explosives?:ne_nau:

Scott Card
06-19-2019, 11:15 AM
Hahaha.... just about. I still know how to develop my own film.

Iceaxe
06-19-2019, 11:26 AM
What's film?!?

Scott Card
06-19-2019, 11:41 AM
Exactly. I admit that I have film ptsd. I swear I still only take one or two photos of something due to the painful memory of the costs of film and developing film in the old days. I remember having to light meter the shot, set it up and then cross my fingers that it would turn out because it was like a dollar or two for each photo. For a kid who was mowing lawns or working at a school cleaning it after all the little elementary boys had there "I-can-pee-higher-up-the-wall-than-you-can" contests, a dollar for a photo was expensive and represented hard earned money.

twotimer
06-19-2019, 07:18 PM
Cool...looks like Shauna pegged a nice little hike, eh?