PDA

View Full Version : Best Coolers for the Outdoors

accadacca
08-31-2018, 08:48 AM
$100 and keeps ice for a week! Excited to try this for a fraction of the cost of a Yeti. Made right here in Utah! Which cooler do you use?

Amazon has them: https://amzn.to/2PjvxuO

Scott Card
08-31-2018, 11:05 AM
Thanks for this tip. :2thumbs: I have never been able to stomach the price of the Yeti.

accadacca
08-31-2018, 11:32 AM
Thanks for this tip. :2thumbs: I have never been able to stomach the price of the Yeti.
Yeah, exactly.

Iceaxe
08-31-2018, 01:08 PM
You couldn't pay me to have a Yeti, as they are anti 2nd Amendment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/04/24/nra-supporters-are-blowing-up-yeti-coolers-yeti-says-its-all-a-big-mistake/

kiwi_outdoors
08-31-2018, 04:32 PM
A YETI is a product to keep things cool - but is not a political statement. A Jeep is a thing to look cool in - but is not a political statement. A water filled slot canyon is a thing to be cool in - it welcomes folks of all political affiliations.

My YETI does a great job, but I would have liked to buy a functionally equal product for less money, had it been possible at the time.

DirkHammergate
08-31-2018, 04:39 PM
Go to a safe space already

twotimer
08-31-2018, 05:25 PM
I really think there's no reason to spend more than $200 for a good cooler...unless you want to keep meat froze for a week. I favor the Coleman Extreme for my frequent road trips.

Thicker insulation. Also, this is probably the most important tip...keep it out of the sun and a moving blanket over it at all times (even in the vehicle) and the ice will last nearly a week in all but the hottest temps. I had a block keep for nearly two weeks with just a bag of crushed placed on top of it a few times back in March.

Iceaxe
09-01-2018, 07:51 AM
A YETI is a product to keep things cool - but is not a political statement.

WRONG! That stopped being true the minute Yeti made a political statement and began supporting anti 2nd Amendment groups.

kiwi_outdoors
09-01-2018, 11:28 AM
A really good cooler is helpful to compensate for the increasing difficulty in finding block ice once on the road trip. We start the trip with home-made block ice (in plastic containers, so we can use the water)

powerplay
09-01-2018, 11:49 AM
There are definitely reasons to buy premium coolers that cost more than $200 but not to the level they have been marketed.

Ignore any manufacturer's claims and read field reviews. The Lifetime one is getting dinged pretty hard for warping and poor durability. It looks like the Ozark Trail one in stores, and if its made similar then expect it to be in the landfill with hard use.

Plenty of great coolers for around a $100 if you just need ice to keep things "cool" for 3-7 days.

If you need ice to be wicked cold for 7+ days in the middle of summer than premium roto molded still seems to be the way to go bu it takes work. These top end coolers just seem to hold up to abuse better: lids you can sit two people on and stand on (fishing, rafting, camp); better gaskets; tie down points that actually take tension without breaking; being filled with water and freezing food into cooler; etc. You can get 2-4 weeks out of a premium cooler if you have quality ice and disciplined use (shade, evaporative cooling with cover, only opening in stages or absolutely when needed, etc)

I have a Canyon cooler and its worth every penny but I also have several other cheaper ones for day or weekend trips that don't weigh 40+lbs.

jman
09-01-2018, 04:42 PM
That comparison chart isn’t quite honest.

You are comparing a 58 to a 45-quart container. You can put more ice in the bigger cooler, ergo, it will last longer.

Basic thermodynamics - the more ice you have the longer it stays cooler. So again, not a fair comparison.

They would all need to be the exact smart quart-size, with the same ice, and same refrigerated food/drinks to accurately explain which cooler, and their plastic materials is superior in providing an insulated housing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

accadacca
09-01-2018, 10:10 PM
I bought the Lifetime partly for the fact that I didn’t want to cave to the yuppy hipster cooler trend.

uintafly
09-02-2018, 08:14 AM
I have a hard and soft RTIC. Quality is great, and ice lasts a long time. They also regularly do 25% off deals, so mine were well under half the price of Yeti. https://www.rticcoolers.com/.

The soft side is perfect to throw in some ice and a 6-pack for a day fishing or tailgating, or to have waiting in the car after a long ride.

Not 100% sure of their stand on guns, but they do offer a camo version for Iceaxe.

Iceaxe
09-02-2018, 04:08 PM
The soft side is perfect to throw in some ice and a 6-pack for a day fishing or tailgating

A six pack!?! ROFLMAO

What a noob. Hell, my hot young stripper wife drinks a 6er all by herself on the drive over to the tailgate party.

[emoji631]

Climb-Utah.com

powerplay
09-03-2018, 11:11 AM
A six pack!?! ROFLMAO

What a noob. Hell, my hot young stripper wife drinks a 6er all by herself on the drive over to the tailgate party.

[emoji631]

Climb-Utah.com

Do you think you'll win Prom King this year? Bang your hot cheerleader girlfriend in the bathroom afterwards? Go SLC Douche Canoes, I think y'all can make it to the big game this year.

We'll just have to live vicariously through your badass exploits, IceAxe.

Iceaxe
09-03-2018, 12:22 PM
Do you think you'll win Prom King this year? Bang your hot cheerleader girlfriend in the bathroom afterwards?

Been there, done that, got the crabs to prove it... LMAO

I'm just sorry I didn't realize until now that my hot cheerleader prom date was your little sister. I'm also sorry you had to stand against the wall without a date and drench yourself in jealousy. Or at least I would feel sorry if I were actually a good person.

[emoji106]

powerplay
09-03-2018, 12:56 PM
Been there, done that, got the crabs to prove it... LMAO

I'm just sorry I didn't realize until now that my hot cheerleader prom date was your little sister. I'm also sorry you had to stand against the wall without a date and drench yourself in jealousy. Or at least I would feel sorry if I were actually a good person.

[emoji106]

You are way too easy to troll. I must be on the wrong site because the IceAxe of legends doesn't dish out that sort of pathetic weaksauce. Or maybe he and his jokes just got old and decrepit.

twotimer
09-03-2018, 03:02 PM
Pretty cool what you did over there with McCain...setting the record straight. But you've puked on two dudes you really don't want to provoke. Might wanna tread a little more lightly if you want to live long around here.

powerplay
09-03-2018, 03:20 PM
Pretty cool what you did over there with McCain...setting the record straight. But you've puked on two dudes you really don't want to provoke. Might wanna tread a little more lightly if you want to live long around here.

If you think I care about being banned then you aren't paying attention. Though it would be pretty hypocritical of the site. Especially given how much the house dog has crapped all over this place.

Not too concerned about Sombeach. He's neither witty or intelligent enough to compete. And I doubt IceAxe is ready to tap out given his behavior and reputation. If anything it will be a chance for him to up his tired old game.

twotimer
09-03-2018, 03:30 PM
Nobody's gonna ban you. I've seen a few guys like you come and go.

You're not going to have much support and if you persist, you're going to get ganged up on.

Too soon, dude. You've got to cruise around the place before you can spew insults.

powerplay
09-03-2018, 03:47 PM
Nobody's gonna ban you. I've seen a few guys like you come and go.

You're not going to have much support and if you persist, you're going to get ganged up on.

Too soon, dude. You've got to cruise around the place before you can spew insults.

I don't care about longevity.

And I could care less about a couple insecure internet users ganging up on me. IceAxe is the only worthy one with a happy trigger finger but its his lack of self control that ultimately undoes any gains he makes outside his geriatric circle jerk. OldNo7 will just try to meme me to death which has no affect. Sombeach is such a sheeple that he's considering basing a home purchase on the fear mongering about a possible blue wave.

What am I missing. I'm sure I could be missing some otherwise thoughtful people but they don't seem interested in perpetuating the crap that trio brings onto themselves. I could be wrong but the worst that happens is I peace out and save 15 minutes a day.

twotimer
09-03-2018, 04:12 PM

And I could care less about a couple insecure internet users ganging up on me. IceAxe is the only worthy one with a happy trigger finger but its his lack of self control that ultimately undoes any gains he makes outside his geriatric circle jerk. OldNo7 will just try to meme me to death which has no affect. Sombeach is such a sheeple that he's considering basing a home purchase on the fear mongering about a possible blue wave.

What am I missing. I'm sure I could be missing some otherwise thoughtful people but they don't seem interested in perpetuating the crap that trio brings onto themselves. I could be wrong but the worst that happens is I peace out and save 15 minutes a day.You just blew yourself up. Not even worthy of popcorn status.

If you don't mind, a word of advice? Don't waste your time on a website with people you despise.

oldno7
09-03-2018, 04:12 PM

. OldNo7 will just try to meme me to death which has no affect.

What am I missing. I'm sure I could be missing some otherwise thoughtful people but they don't seem interested in perpetuating the crap that trio brings onto themselves. I could be wrong but the worst that happens is I peace out and save 15 minutes a day.

So which is it, buttercup boy/girl?

First you said it was a good my memes didn't show up on your computer....

Then you say I will meme you to death...

then you say it has no effect:roflol:

I feel like I should be paying you rent for living in your vacant cranium but living rent free works...:crazy:

liberals gonna liberal, good thing you don't have a mind to make up....

oldno7
09-03-2018, 04:18 PM

oldno7
09-03-2018, 04:20 PM
Ohh--and Acca, I would love one of those coolers:2thumbs:

Thanks for the heads up

powerplay
09-03-2018, 04:21 PM
And the troll worked like clockwork. And that was my lazy game.

jman
09-03-2018, 04:26 PM
And the troll worked like clockwork. And that was my lazy game.

It’s best not to engage.

Avoid the politics, avoid certain people, otherwise you will eventually leave.

Some really great people (aka contributors) left for good due to the mud-slinging and constant politics regardless of the “outdoor” name in Bogleys name.

It actually use to be a good outdoor place, but now it’s just two members personal blog with a rare TR maybe once a month from any member.

If you like the ad hominem then by all means, stay. Otherwise if you are looking for outdoor content from contributors, you will rarely find it anymore here.

powerplay
09-03-2018, 04:50 PM
It’s best not to engage.

Avoid the politics, avoid certain people, otherwise you will eventually leave.

Some really great people (aka contributors) left for good due to the mud-slinging and constant politics regardless of the “outdoor” name in Bogleys name.

It actually use to be a good outdoor place, but now it’s just two members personal blog with a rare TR maybe once a month from any member.

If you like the ad hominem then by all means, stay. Otherwise if you are looking for outdoor content from contributors, you will rarely find it anymore here.

Yeah, I feel for you and a few others, like rock, etc. There are several here who would be plenty welcome on an adventure.

I'll still lurk the good stuff that pops up a few times a year even if I bolt after proving my point. I didn't start by highlighting Ice's BS on accident. After a while of watching some of the fallout you describe I thought I would have some fun pointing the spotlight at the principle culprits. I just didn't think it would be so easy to bait them. Not that I think they'll change because they seem like the type to go down with the ship, though most of the time I doubt they even know its sinking.

Best of luck out there

oldno7
09-03-2018, 05:56 PM
Yeah, I feel for you and a few others, like rock, etc. There are several here who would be plenty welcome on an adventure.

I'll still lurk the good stuff that pops up a few times a year even if I bolt after proving my point. I didn't start by highlighting Ice's BS on accident. After a while of watching some of the fallout you describe I thought I would have some fun pointing the spotlight at the principle culprits. I just didn't think it would be so easy to bait them. Not that I think they'll change because they seem like the type to go down with the ship, though most of the time I doubt they even know its sinking.

Best of luck out there

whoaaa--you were trolling?

No way, you got me, I thought you were surely an outdoor guru--well done, who would have known?

You're like a master, wow, I never suspected, great job:2thumbs:

I need my 35 seconds back that I took to respond.

need to edit--sorry to hijack this platinum level troll.

Do they make that cooler in white?

Iceaxe
09-03-2018, 06:24 PM
Don't let this distract you from the fact that in 1966, Al Bundy scored four touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versus Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds against his old nemesis, "Spare Tire" Dixon.

[emoji458]

Climb-Utah.com

double moo
09-03-2018, 08:43 PM
Platinum status effort....

powerplay
09-03-2018, 09:24 PM
whoaaa--you were trolling?

No way, you got me, I thought you were surely an outdoor guru--well done, who would have known?

You're like a master, wow, I never suspected, great job:2thumbs:

I need my 35 seconds back that I took to respond.

need to edit--sorry to hijack this platinum level troll.

Do they make that cooler in white?

Triggered much? You really go off on these rants alot.

powerplay
09-03-2018, 09:25 PM
Don't let this distract you from the fact that in 1966, Al Bundy scored four touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versus Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds against his old nemesis, "Spare Tire" Dixon.

[emoji458]

Climb-Utah.com

See, at least you have wit.

Sombeech
09-03-2018, 09:42 PM
Not too concerned about Sombeach. He's neither witty or intelligent enough to compete.
Well since you mentioned me (or tried to spell it right), I'll reply. I really don't care how others rate my intelligence. as I'm enjoying the outdoors too much to worry about it.

If you think I care about being banned then you aren't paying attention. Though it would be pretty hypocritical of the site.
You aren't going to be banned. Diversity is good. It's healthy for a forum. You've brought some good page views to the site and that's great. Just a word of advice though, you might not want to troll everybody on every thread here within your first week. It's funny at first, but as you're degrading everybody's intelligence, you keep talking and the irony will show itself.

As I say, you're not going to be banned. Here at Bogley, we believe in diversity and transparency. If we delete a thread, it's on accident, or it's spam. I just get the feeling you're going to burn yourself out on trolling and you'll move on. That'd be a shame.

You're trolling people on a thread about coolers

powerplay
09-03-2018, 10:04 PM
Well since you mentioned me (or tried to spell it right), I'll reply. I really don't care how others rate my intelligence. as I'm enjoying the outdoors too much to worry about it.

You aren't going to be banned. Diversity is good. It's healthy for a forum. You've brought some good page views to the site and that's great. Just a word of advice though, you might not want to troll everybody on every thread here within your first week. It's funny at first, but as you're degrading everybody's intelligence, you keep talking and the irony will show itself.

As I say, you're not going to be banned. Here at Bogley, we believe in diversity and transparency. If we delete a thread, it's on accident, or it's spam. I just get the feeling you're going to burn yourself out on trolling and you'll move on. That'd be a shame.

You're trolling people on a thread about coolers

Your are stuck holding his member in so many circle jerks you ignored who started the trolling "the cooler thread" in the first place. Your attempt at an insult just proved my entire purpose; thank you.

PS....only two threads = "every thread". You'll find "every member" is only the three culprits of this site's obvious demise. No need to troll the others as they seem like descent people not entertained by running others off. Also, I misspelled your name on purpose and you rose to the bait. Like I said, this so far is my lazy trolling.

Sombeech
09-03-2018, 10:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JA37-BO4hY

oldno7
09-04-2018, 05:38 AM
Triggered much? You really go off on these rants alot.

Do you have a paypal account?

I've got to send you some money, I'm feeling guilty living rent free...

Scott Card
09-04-2018, 12:21 PM
:facepalm1: I saw all these new posts and thought I'd get some more good ideas and feedback for coolers. Wow.....quasi bolt war type personal insults in a cooler thread? :roll: Well that was disappointing.

uintafly
09-06-2018, 05:51 AM
:facepalm1: I saw all these new posts and thought I'd get some more good ideas and feedback for coolers. Wow.....quasi bolt war type personal insults in a cooler thread? :roll: Well that was disappointing.

Me too. Except for the disappointed part. This is more interesting than coolers. Also, I have to admit to Iceaxe that I am a lightweight these days. Very rarely do I have more than 2 beers on any given time. Except for of course Oktoberfest at the bird this weekend. Come on up Ice and have a drink. I'll be wearing the I'm With Her t-shirt.

Sombeech
09-06-2018, 09:29 AM
$100 and keeps ice for a week! Excited to try this for a fraction of the cost of a Yeti. Made right here in Utah! Which cooler do you use?

Amazon has them: https://amzn.to/2PjvxuO

Lifetime Products have stepped up their game in the past few years, coming out with some impressive stuff.

They really should look into wake surf boards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1lcBpX-oVM

robles
09-09-2018, 12:13 PM
thanks for sharinghttp://gshort.click/isna/12/o.png

admin
01-05-2021, 01:29 PM
Check out the Ultimate Guide to RITC Coolers (https://www.coolersjunkie.com/rtic-coolers)