PDA

View Full Version : LDS Church announces split with Boy Scouts of America

accadacca
05-08-2018, 06:09 PM
Sad deal...Baden Powell is rolling in his grave.

—-

SALT LAKE CITY — Leaders of the LDS Church announced Tuesday night they plan to cut ties with The Boy Scouts of America.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46316676

kiwi_outdoors
05-08-2018, 07:13 PM
Scouting is dying, its not if, just when

devo_stevo
05-09-2018, 06:13 AM
The writing has been on the wall for a while now. The values of the BSA are being eroded at an alarming rate. I'm a little sad about it. I won't miss the stupid songs and skits, but I'll miss the organization that teaches boys some outdoor skills as well as how to be a respectful and productive member of society. There's not enough of that going around these days in my mind.

tallsteve
05-09-2018, 06:41 AM
Isn't the Church the Scouts largest charter member? If so, they won't last long now. If they think they'll make up the Church's funding by all the girls now joining, well, I can't see it happening. They may see a spike for a year, then it will die out.

tallsteve
05-09-2018, 06:45 AM
...I also won't miss the "Friends of Scouting" fundraiser drive every year. When I was a Scout/Young Mens leader I was never comfortable knocking on doors in the neighborhood begging for money and being told the Ward had to meet a certain quota. When my boys were in Scouting I would always donate but, after my youngest graduated, my wallet was closed.

devo_stevo
05-09-2018, 06:59 AM
Isn't the Church the Scouts largest charter member? If so, they won't last long now. If they think they'll make up the Church's funding by all the girls now joining, well, I can't see it happening. They may see a spike for a year, then it will die out.
Agreed. I see a lot of camps and stores being shut down in Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, and maybe Arizona due to this. I don't see them having the membership or the money that they need to sustain the current infrastructure.

And I agree about friends of scouting. I told the ward that I wouldn't do that because I wasn't comfortable with it. Even when I was the scoutmaster, I refused to do it.

uintafly
05-09-2018, 01:15 PM
Agreed. I see a lot of camps and stores being shut down in Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, and maybe Arizona due to this. I don't see them having the membership or the money that they need to sustain the current infrastructure.

And I agree about friends of scouting. I told the ward that I wouldn't do that because I wasn't comfortable with it. Even when I was the scoutmaster, I refused to do it.

I wonder what the percentage of usage of camps in the states around Utah are from LDS troops? It's gotta be close to 80% or more right? This has got to be the end of East Fork of the Bear camps, Steiner and probably many more that I don't know about.

devo_stevo
05-09-2018, 02:38 PM
I wonder what the percentage of usage of camps in the states around Utah are from LDS troops? It's gotta be close to 80% or more right? This has got to be the end of East Fork of the Bear camps, Steiner and probably many more that I don't know about.
I'm in the Trapper Trails Council. We have two camps in Wyoming (Loll and New Fork), Camp Hunt (in Garden City on Bear Lake), Camp Bartlett (just north of Bear Lake), Hull Valley (just southeast of Preston, ID), Camp Browning and Kiesel (both at Causey Reservoir), plus a couple others that I can't recall at the moment. I don't know the numbers for sure, but I'd bet attendance at these camps is well north of 80% LDS troops.

I've been to these camps multiple times and am yet to see more than maybe one troop that isn't LDS there at any given time. No, I didn't do a survey to find out if all of the troops are LDS, but most of them have trailers with the ward or stake all over the side of them or you talk to them and they bring up church subjects pretty openly, because they pretty much know that you're LDS too just because you're there. So I guess my evidence is completely anecdotal and I could be way off. But I'd say it's pretty close.

There is absolutely no way to keep all of these facilities operating while losing that kind of attendance.

Sombeech
05-10-2018, 12:14 PM
...I also won't miss the "Friends of Scouting" fundraiser drive every year.

Ugh, I absolutely loathed going door to door. One year I just said at every door "hey I don't want to do this and you don't want to see me but I've got to hand these papers out. Please just take this and throw it in your garbage and I will leave right now".

True story.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Sombeech
05-10-2018, 12:16 PM
Keep in mind the BSA is a nationwide organization, beyond Utah. But, even throughout the Midwest, LDS church troops are still the main sponsors.

They'll squeak by and possibly survive, but only because they saw the writing on the wall and they started to recruit girls now. This is the reason. Not sexual gender equality, but to make up for lost Mormon boys.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

devo_stevo
05-10-2018, 12:35 PM
Oh, I don't see the BSA going away completely. Not for a long time. But the LDS church supposedly makes up about 20% of the membership. That's a lot of members to lose all at once. There will be some contraction in the size of their footprint throughout the country. Especially here in the intermountain west.

accadacca
05-10-2018, 04:51 PM
The BSA is in full damage control now. They sent an email last night titled, "Our Partnership With The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter-day Saints (http://Our Partnership With The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter-day Saints)"

See the links below to the web versions of the email with their lead article and two sub articles trying to smooth things over.

What you need to know about the LDS church’s announcement about its future relationship with the BSA (https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2018/05/09/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-lds-church-announcement/?utm_source=scoutingwire&utm_campaign=swvolunteer592018&utm_medium=email&utm_content=)

The Boy Scouts of America Organization Name Is Not Changing, And Other Facts To Set The Record Straight (https://scoutingwire.org/the-boy-scouts-of-america-organization-name-is-not-changing-and-other-facts-to-set-the-record-straight/?utm_source=scoutingwire&utm_campaign=swvolunteer592018&utm_medium=email&utm_content=)

Full Newsletter (http://m.email.scouting.org/rest/head/mirrorPage/@SqGlPEzHhyn1vXFNYgrcukjGBLpjsvntHBmHgLpkfeU9cHNKA bdUkTFT93UbcBBeU0dqJbTOrUWazHwdT3aMpFyqfSPUZRFIEjZ vSbkQVSnbVXWb.html?utm_source=scoutingwire&utm_campaign=swvolunteer592018&utm_medium=email&utm_content=)

Sombeech
05-10-2018, 10:27 PM
The Boy Scouts of America Organization Name Is Not Changing, And Other Facts To Set The Record Straight (https://scoutingwire.org/the-boy-scouts-of-america-organization-name-is-not-changing-and-other-facts-to-set-the-record-straight/?utm_source=scoutingwire&utm_campaign=swvolunteer592018&utm_medium=email&utm_content=)

accadacca
05-10-2018, 10:43 PM
Yeah, bunch of hogwash. Just like their eroding program.

DirkHammergate
05-11-2018, 05:24 PM
This should have happened long ago. I've had a couple of my college buddies who've remain active bitch to me about being "called" Scoutmaster in their respective wards. Besides being Ward Mission Leader summarily the worst calling a mid-30 year old can have when trying to raise and support a family in the traditional Mormon model. It just an added layer of time constraints with meetings, scout camps and activities they can't do with their families and career.

I've argued the Mormon Model of raising large families with the Dad as the single breadwinner worked for my parents and that generation. It does not for the current generation. As the Church still advocates for that model I believe its one of the main reason why they're losing adult males and millennials in droves. You can see the Church currently trying to address by lowering mission ages, changes home teaching (cause literally nobody does that except my parents), now Scouting. There are plenty of other policy changes as well. Too much expected of membership in this model with the way people have to work to be successful and participate in Lay Leadership.

The only time I enjoyed myself Scouting was when I was at a high sierra scout camp and I participated in a 2 night solo overnighter with only my pack and gear and no tent. I had to go about a 1/2 mile outside of the camp, make a lean 2, protect it enough from potential rain from materials I could gather, make my meals and sleep in it. That was super fun to wander back into camp and get mobbed by your buddies.

FYI - I never f*cking allow my 15 year old to do that right now. I think that's what made it so great.

double moo
05-11-2018, 10:00 PM

"Organization" vs "Program"... one changes, the other does not.

accadacca
06-01-2018, 05:50 PM
“Be Prepared” -Scout Motto

Condoms will be handed out at the World Scout Jamboree

News broke last week that the World Scout Jamboree — slated for next summer in West Virginia with the Boy Scouts of America as a host — would ensure “condoms are readily and easily accessible for all participants at a number of locations.” The move marked for many the latest step in an ongoing radicalization of scouting.

Aside from making condoms available to children as young as 13, additional information from the WSJ event shows that girls are expected to make up half of the attendees. The Jamboree is being promoted as a way for participants to meet and mix faster than they could through social media.

The event is touted by organizers as “what will surely be the largest party in the world.”

rockgremlin
06-03-2018, 12:21 PM
“Be Prepared” -Scout Motto

Condoms will be handed out at the World Scout Jamboree

News broke last week that the World Scout Jamboree — slated for next summer in West Virginia with the Boy Scouts of America as a host — would ensure “condoms are readily and easily accessible for all participants at a number of locations.” The move marked for many the latest step in an ongoing radicalization of scouting.

Aside from making condoms available to children as young as 13, additional information from the WSJ event shows that girls are expected to make up half of the attendees. The Jamboree is being promoted as a way for participants to meet and mix faster than they could through social media.

The event is touted by organizers as “what will surely be the largest party in the world.”

Is this for real? :eek2:

So they're going to have an enormous gathering of co-ed teenagers with less than optimal adult supervision -- and then hand out condoms?

It's like Woodstock, but with more bubble gum and braces.

double moo
06-05-2018, 08:39 PM
I was a scout 40 years too early...

Iceaxe
06-05-2018, 08:58 PM
I was a scout 40 years too early...

What do you mean? My scout troop met every Wednesday night after Mutual (a Mormon thing), and the girls did some young woman thing, and after that we would meet up and go make out... I always though of it as church issued pussy.... LOL....

accadacca
09-21-2018, 08:22 PM
LDS Church develops new youth initiative following split from Boy Scouts

(KUTV) -- Since the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced it would end its affiliation with the Boy Scouts of America (BSA), the Church has come up with a new curriculum for its youth.

A new Children and Youth Development Initiative will begin in January 2020.

Although there are few details about the specifics of the program, the Church has confirmed on its website that youth will continue to do camps and outdoor activities, like in they did in scouting.

But, local church leaders, youth and parents will find and execute outdoor activities that meet the needs of the people in each particular group.

The new initiative will focus more on learning the gospel, building relationships and strengthening faith among the youth.

Activities that local leaders will plan will be based on needs, rather than requirements, according to lds.org.

The decision to end the century old relationship came in 2015 after the BSA decided to allow gay troop leaders and announced last year it would allow girls in the ranks.

The Church and the BSA released a joint statement:

We have jointly determined that, effective on December 31, 2019, the Church will conclude its relationship as a chartered organization with all Scouting programs around the world. Until that date, to allow for an orderly transition, the intention of the Church is to remain a fully engaged partner in Scouting for boys and young men ages 8–13 and encourages all youth, families, and leaders to continue their active participation and financial support.

https://kutv.com/news/local/what-next-lds-church-develops-new-youth-initiative-following-split-from-boy-scouts

DirkHammergate
09-22-2018, 09:22 AM
LDS Church develops new youth initiative following split from Boy Scouts

(KUTV) -- Since the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced it would end its affiliation with the Boy Scouts of America (BSA), the Church has come up with a new curriculum for its youth.

A new Children and Youth Development Initiative will begin in January 2020.

Although there are few details about the specifics of the program, the Church has confirmed on its website that youth will continue to do camps and outdoor activities, like in they did in scouting.

But, local church leaders, youth and parents will find and execute outdoor activities that meet the needs of the people in each particular group.

The new initiative will focus more on learning the gospel, building relationships and strengthening faith among the youth.

Activities that local leaders will plan will be based on needs, rather than requirements, according to lds.org.

The decision to end the century old relationship came in 2015 after the BSA decided to allow gay troop leaders and announced last year it would allow girls in the ranks.

The Church and the BSA released a joint statement:

We have jointly determined that, effective on December 31, 2019, the Church will conclude its relationship as a chartered organization with all Scouting programs around the world. Until that date, to allow for an orderly transition, the intention of the Church is to remain a fully engaged partner in Scouting for boys and young men ages 8–13 and encourages all youth, families, and leaders to continue their active participation and financial support.

https://kutv.com/news/local/what-next-lds-church-develops-new-youth-initiative-following-split-from-boy-scouts

Cool, super duper white Dudes called of God with mba’s got this. Super duper!!

accadacca
12-13-2018, 11:54 AM
Boy Scouts of America has retained the services of a law firm and is exploring the option of filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, according to a report in The Wall Street Journal.

http://nbcbay.com/QP2J43E

twotimer
12-13-2018, 01:19 PM
Does this have anything to do with them being forced to have queers looking after the boys? Seriously...isn't that the kingpin for all this?

double moo
12-13-2018, 07:46 PM
DSA is still a year away from the LDS pull out... If they are having cash troubles now, they are really going to hurt when their membership drops by 1/3 overnight.

devo_stevo
12-14-2018, 07:45 AM
DSA is still a year away from the LDS pull out... If they are having cash troubles now, they are really going to hurt when their membership drops by 1/3 overnight.
I suspect that this is a tactic to dump debt before they lose all those scouts and all that money.

I'm curious what'll happen to all of the scout camps around here once the church is out. You know they won't have to money to maintain all that stuff.

Sombeech
12-14-2018, 07:54 AM
Hooray for Social Justice pressure!

Sombeech
12-14-2018, 07:58 AM
I'm curious what'll happen to all of the scout camps around here once the church is out. You know they won't have to money to maintain all that stuff.

I'll bet the LDS Church would buy a lot of it up. Then again, there are untold acres of property already owned by the church that isn't being used yet.

devo_stevo
12-14-2018, 08:27 AM
I'll bet the LDS Church would buy a lot of it up. Then again, there are untold acres of property already owned by the church that isn't being used yet.
I thought the same thing at first, but I'm not sure that'll happen. I know a lot of them are on leased Forest Service land, so I'd imagine they would simply terminate the leases and return the land to the Forest Service.

The others are going to be in trouble though. They'd have to be sold or something. I know that sometime early next year, they are going to consolidate three districts into one from southern Idaho all the way to Clearfield/Roy area. All I know for sure is that in Brigham City alone, they will go from 35-40 troops down to 1 or maybe 2 if they get enough people to sign up for the community troop. You can't take a hit like that everywhere and stay afloat for long.

Sandstone Addiction
12-14-2018, 08:52 AM
While I was at Camp Maple Dell last summer, I was talking to one of the staff members and he said that the last week of the camp season was a girls camp. Apparently 2 stakes paid them to host the event with 1 stake on Monday thru Wednesday and the next from Thursday thru Saturday. He said that the girls love it because they can participate in all the water activities along with the shooting sports and all the rest of the activities that the boys have been enjoying all these years.

So maybe this might be an option to help keep the camps going in the future?

Sombeech
12-14-2018, 10:09 AM
Well the Girl Scouts organization is still doing ok, right? They may even do better after BSA goes away and they get their girls back that the BSA tried to steal away.

oldno7
12-14-2018, 10:34 AM
So maybe this might be an option to help keep the camps going in the future?

The church will likely steal the land from the US government, hi fence it and have underaged kids grow and harvest medical marijuana.(just a guess based on facts submitted on bogley)

and most likely--produce and manufacture, on site, their own brand of pot needles, (I don't think this was covered under prop II)

Iceaxe
12-18-2018, 06:21 PM
Truth...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181219/c82f305c24b48749f7c582c57cd8563c.jpg

Climb-Utah.com

accadacca
04-24-2019, 08:24 AM
Hundreds of former Boy Scouts reveal new sexual abuse claims, exposing 150 alleged pedophiles

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2019/04/24/boy-scouts-face-hundreds-new-sexual-abuse-claims/3547991002/

rockgremlin
04-24-2019, 09:13 AM
Hundreds of former Boy Scouts reveal new sexual abuse claims, exposing 150 alleged pedophiles

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2019/04/24/boy-scouts-face-hundreds-new-sexual-abuse-claims/3547991002/

Is there a statute of limitations for sexual assault?

Sombeech
04-24-2019, 10:46 AM
Is there a statute of limitations for sexual assault?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrKb2TTy2ik