PDA

View Full Version : How much rain to fill a canyon?

mcweyen
04-27-2018, 11:44 AM
Does anyone have a link or knowledge on how much rain it would take to fill up an "average" slot canyon. I'm not talking Buckskin Gulch (giant) or something really tiny like Zebra... just an average slot, say something like Neon. Would a tenth of an inch in the area do the job or are we talking more like half an inch?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Rob L
04-27-2018, 02:07 PM
https://media.istockphoto.com/photos/how-long-is-a-piece-of-string-picture-id174626180

Iceaxe
04-27-2018, 02:08 PM
Speaking as someone who has witnessed literally hundreds if not thousands of flash floods I can tell you it takes a pretty good dump to get a canyon rolling, but once it starts to roll it's all hell is braking lose....

....short answer is I don't think you and quantify a flash flood in something like a 10th inch of rain as there are just too many variables.

YMMV

ratagonia
04-27-2018, 03:12 PM
How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

kiwi_outdoors
04-27-2018, 03:22 PM
do the math

get catchment area off Google Earth or a Topo; work out cross section width of a typical slot channel of interest, assume a rainfall rate, pick your flow depth or flow speed and the other resulting parameter

e.g.

Assumes steady state and zero absorption

rainfall
inch/hour

area
acres

area conversion factor
sq ft per acre

volume per hour
cu ft per hour

slot width
ft

flow speed
ft/sec

flow speed
mph

flow depth
ft

stefan
04-27-2018, 05:50 PM
interesting question. i can give you one anecdote: in mindbender it took 20 minutes of strong rainfall (didn't estimate the amount) to have a flash flood barrel off the final falls of the canyon.