PDA

View Full Version : Mountain name

Scott P
11-30-2017, 06:29 PM
I wonder how this mountain (in Montana if anyone is curious) got its name. A fight on the summit perhaps?

Brian in SLC
11-30-2017, 08:31 PM
Well..according to wiki...was named for a Blackfoot leader called "Bad Married". Morphed into the current name later.

Scott P
11-30-2017, 10:42 PM
Well..according to wiki...was named for a Blackfoot leader called "Bad Married". Morphed into the current name later.

Which begs the question of how the Blackfoot leader got that name.

tallsteve
12-01-2017, 07:19 AM
Speaking of names, I had a meeting with my local Forest Service rangers yesterday who I do all of my volunteer trail work under. They told me they are naming a small section of connector trail after me because of all I've done up AF Canyon. For those familiar with the canyon, we rerouted the SFLDC #252 trail a few years ago. The trail used to run right through the primitive camping area, Elk Camp. The reroute skirts the camp now but, there is a short connector trail running from Elk Camp up to the #252 trail. This short connector trail will officially be called "Winters Cut". Kinda cool.

Rob L
12-01-2017, 12:17 PM
Why is it not being called "tallsteve Cut"? :twisted:

But nice to hear :2thumbs:

tallsteve
12-04-2017, 08:33 AM
Why is it not being called "tallsteve Cut"? :twisted:

But nice to hear :2thumbs:

Haha! My last name is Winters. When they originally asked me for thoughts on a name, I was just joking around and said how about "Steve's Cut". I had no idea they would actually do it, albeit with a different name. They didn't want it to be that obvious with "Steve" in the name, while "Winters" can mean the season. For clarification sake, I found out the name will actually be "Winters Run". It will have a trail number designation as well although they don't what that will be yet.

Rob L
12-04-2017, 11:01 AM
Well there you are! :cool2: :clap:

Rob

Sombeech
12-04-2017, 11:51 AM
Haha! My last name is Winters. When they originally asked me for thoughts on a name, I was just joking around and said how about "Steve's Cut". I had no idea they would actually do it, albeit with a different name. They didn't want it to be that obvious with "Steve" in the name, while "Winters" can mean the season. For clarification sake, I found out the name will actually be "Winters Run". It will have a trail number designation as well although they don't what that will be yet.

That's cool Steve, you deserve it.