PDA

View Full Version : Bogley Compared to CC

rockgremlin
10-16-2017, 06:42 AM
It was a mix of canyon collective and Bogley members...

Wait...is that even possible? I thought Bogley and CC got along like oil and water. :ne_nau:

jman
10-16-2017, 07:41 AM
Wait...is that even possible? I thought Bogley and CC got along like oil and water. :ne_nau:

Lol. From what I gathered, it was people who didn’t know such a partition existed from the CC side. That is such 2012 news rockgremlin... [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockgremlin
10-16-2017, 07:52 AM
Lol. From what I gathered, it was people who didn’t know such a partition existed from the CC side. That is such 2012 news @rockgremlin (http://www.bogley.com/forum/member.php?u=5)... [emoji23]

Well...just askin'. Wanted to know if the haters still hatin'.

I mean...just speaking for myself I hold no ill will. But I know there was a lot of bad blood there for a little while over on that side. I'm not even sure why it existed.

twotimer
10-16-2017, 08:13 AM

I mean...just speaking for myself I hold no ill will. But I know there was a lot of bad blood there for a little while over on that side. I'm not even sure why it existed.Seems to me it's a beta vs. non beta thing. There's been a lot of ugly back and forth in that regard, so hugs and kisses at a social setting might be tough for some. None of that matters to me, though...I've found that people are a lot more personable in the flesh than online.

There're quite a few folks I'd like to meet.

I just returned from the Swell. A big campout at Hidden Splendor sure is fun. Great hiking and views and the opportunity for some to step up their game with the keeper canyons.

Iceaxe
10-16-2017, 09:51 AM
Seems to me it's a beta vs. non beta thing.

^^^THIS^^^

Different ethics on how beta should be shared and what/If it should be shared.

Scott P
10-16-2017, 11:34 AM
^^^THIS^^^

Different ethics on how beta should be shared and what/If it should be shared.

Both sides have debates on this and it's more than that. Although some people have preferences on which site to use, I haven't seen much bad blood.

I know that these are generalisations, but here are my owmn perceptiobs since I frequent both sites.

Bogley

Generally Utah centered.
Less pro wilderness.
Overall less experienced canyoneers.
Often easier to find partners.
People don't have as many set partners so Bogley tends to be more open to new partnerships.
Less discussion on advanced techniques.
More political banter in the general forum.
Less serious, more light hearted.

Canyon Collective

Lots of Utah members, but also a lot of California and Arizona members.
More experienced membership.
More pro wilderness.
More already have set partners. so it's often harder to find partners.
More technical discussion.
Less political banter.
More serious, less light hearted.

The above are my own perceptions and generalisations. Take them how you will.

rockgremlin
10-16-2017, 12:00 PM
Bogley

Generally Utah centered.
Less pro wilderness.
Overall less experienced canyoneers.
Often easier to find partners.
People don't have as many set partners so Bogley tends to be more open to new partnerships.
Less discussion on advanced techniques.
Less serious, more light hearted.

Canyon Collective

Lots of Utah members, but also a lot of California and Arizona members.
More experienced membership.
More pro wilderness.
More already have set partners. so it's often harder to find partners.
More technical discussion.
Less political banter.
More serious, less light hearted.

The above are my own perceptions and generalisations. Take them how you will.

I think you're pretty spot on. To further the generalization:

Bogley
Republican
REI
Android
Ben & Jerry's
TGIFriday's

Collective
Democrat
Black Diamond
Apple
Dreyer's
Benihana

Iceaxe
10-16-2017, 12:25 PM
Scott's post on CC (Yahoo Canyons) vs Bogley is a reasonable general description of how things are these days, but the original diversion and the main reason there are two groups is over how beta was dispensed. That argument is now over 10 years old and the groups have since progressed with their own flavor.

The biggest difference there days is Bogley is an outdoor site and not restricted to simply canyons as CC is.

Bogley has canyons, MTB, hunting, shooting, sports, politics, hiking, rock art and ruins. CC has canyons and canyons.

Sombeech
10-16-2017, 01:23 PM
If CC had a political forum, they would be just as political as here on bogley. In the Canyoneering section here on Bogley, there's not a ton of Political topics. So to say the Canyoneering forum at Bogley is too political is an incorrect assessment. It would also be like saying the Canyoneering section here at Bogley talks about Mountain Biking too much, which is false.

The rivalry, if it really exists, is stupid, both groups should be able to get along just fine. It's unfortunate that some, and this goes for both groups, can't tolerate somebody else having a different point of view. I think the community as a whole would benefit from allowing somebody to think a certain way without trying to change their mind or belief or affiliation, and just get outside away from it all and enjoy the outdoors.

There should be no reason why the community as a whole couldn't get together and enjoy some canyons.

TommyBoy
10-16-2017, 01:49 PM
The rivalry, if it really exists, is stupid, both groups should be able to get along just fine. It's unfortunate that some, and this goes for both groups, can't tolerate somebody else having a different point of view. I think the community as a whole would benefit from allowing somebody to think a certain way without trying to change their mind or belief or affiliation, and just get outside away from it all and enjoy the outdoors.

I agree to some, extent, however if you feel strongly about your viewpoint you should be trying to change others opinions, the trick is to do this amicably and not hate someone just because they won't accept your way of doing things.

ratagonia
10-17-2017, 11:18 AM

I mean...just speaking for myself I hold no ill will. But I know there was a lot of bad blood there for a little while over on that side. I'm not even sure why it existed.

Dan moved on. Fly fishin' now.

rockgremlin
10-17-2017, 11:24 AM

LOL.

Was wondering about him specifically. Hope he catches a big one. :mrgreen:

ratagonia
10-17-2017, 11:37 AM

Bogley
Republican
REI
Android
Ben & Jerry's
TGIFriday's

Collective
Democrat
Black Diamond
Apple
Dreyer's
Benihana

Seriously? Ben and Jerry's? You know those guys are Stalinists, right? Well, they support Bernie, bascially the same thing, right?

Iceaxe
10-17-2017, 11:55 AM
I moved this to it's own thread for two reasons, first Rob's thread was an invite and not a debate, second it deserves it's own thread.

Carry on.....

Rob L
10-17-2017, 12:01 PM

As in Ransome? If so,I'm sorry to see him move on.

To continue the thread drift: Fly Fishing 1970's UK TV advert still held with fond memory. They don't make them like this any more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeicexenTmU

qedcook
10-17-2017, 12:05 PM
Bogley: easy to use. The email settings work
CC: pain to use. CC never stops emailing you, no matter how many times you tell it to stop.

Scott P
10-17-2017, 12:36 PM
Bogley: easy to use. The email settings work
CC: pain to use. CC never stops emailing you, no matter how many times you tell it to stop.

It only emails you if you subscribe to a thread.

Sombeech
10-17-2017, 12:51 PM
I agree to some, extent, however if you feel strongly about your viewpoint you should be trying to change others opinions,

Nah, I say live and let live; Tolerance of differing viewpoints. Let your example be the inspiration to cause change rather than compelling argument.

If we can successfully change varying opinions, we lose diversity. I find it very important to see different and opposite opinions for a more full spectrum. But when one side starts telling another what to do because they are wrong, that's where the line is crossed.

rockgremlin
10-17-2017, 02:02 PM
Seriously? Ben and Jerry's? You know those guys are Stalinists, right? Well, they support Bernie, bascially the same thing, right?

I support Bernie too, which is why I prefer Bogley. See what I did there? Ben n' Jerry's--->Bernie--->Bogley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5_DJbupigQ

qedcook
10-17-2017, 02:09 PM
It only emails you if you subscribe to a thread.

And it automatically subscribes you if you simply reply to the thread. And then you click unsubscribe all, which works until you reply again...

TommyBoy
10-17-2017, 02:26 PM
Nah, I say live and let live; Tolerance of differing viewpoints. Let your example be the inspiration to cause change rather than compelling argument.

If we can successfully change varying opinions, we lose diversity. I find it very important to see different and opposite opinions for a more full spectrum. But when one side starts telling another what to do because they are wrong, that's where the line is crossed.

This is more or less what I was saying, sometimes discussions are necessary though as long as they are civil. Take for example the LNT ethic, if you are good at it then no one knows you were there to set an example, but it must be done politely. Diversity for the sake of diversity is wrong though, do we need people destroying the planet just because that adds to diversity? Should we not try to stop them because hey we are reducing diversity? This is all just meant as a example not a specific attack against anyone, but discussion breeds new ideas, maybe I bring you to my way of thinking, maybe you bring me to yours, or maybe we both change into something new and better because of our discussion.

Tolerance is great and should come first, but tolerating a different viewpoint doesn't mean I shouldn't discuss mine and try to change your mind.

rockgremlin
10-17-2017, 02:37 PM
This is more or less what I was saying, sometimes discussions are necessary though as long as they are civil. Take for example the LNT ethic, if you are good at it then know one knows you were there to set an example, but it must be done politely. Diversity for the sake of diversity is wrong though, do we need people destroying the planet just because that adds to diversity? Should we not try to stop them because hey we are reducing diversity? This is all just meant as a example not a specific attack against anyone, but discussion breeds new ideas, maybe I bring you to my way of thinking, maybe you bring me to yours, or maybe we both change into something new and better because of our discussion.

Tolerance is great and should come first, but tolerating a different viewpoint doesn't mean I shouldn't discuss mine and try to change your mind.

Eloquently put.

Brian in SLC
10-17-2017, 02:52 PM
Main difference?

A free and wildly roaming Iceaxe here. A Ram and his minions roaming there.

I think there's also been a number of folks bummed out by the occasional tone here. Especially any tone that seems to denigrate or demean the fairer folk amongst the community. You know, the reference to the "hot young stipper wife" type stuff.

Which leads to another difference:

Bogley: sausagefest.

CC: folks trying to not hurt anyone's feelings. Which, maybe makes it more inclusive I suppose.

That said, we're all still here and there. What's a yahoo group? Ha ha...

rockgremlin
10-17-2017, 03:36 PM
In my travels out and about in the wilds down south I've bumped into folks who have no clue who I am. We'll get to chatting about various things...gear, trip reports, beta, etc. Somewhere in the midst of the conversation they'll mention Bogley, but in doing so will accompany the comment with a sneer and a scoff -- almost like how most people talk about Trump. Almost like Bogley is a four letter word and they have to justify the comment with a twinge of sarcasm and a roll of the eyes.

Why does it have to be like this? Can't we all just live and let live? Can't we all just....get along?

Scott P
10-17-2017, 04:11 PM
If CC had a political forum, they would be just as political as here on bogley. In the Canyoneering section here on Bogley, there's not a ton of Political topics. So to say the Canyoneering forum at Bogley is too political is an incorrect assessment.

Sombeech, I assume you are referring to my post where I listed this:

I was speaking of the General Sub-Forum , not the Political Sub Forum, and it wasn't a complaint or saying that it was too much. Having political discussions is an attraction to some posters and a detraction for others. You might also want to see the definition for banter:

ban·ter

ˈban(t)ər/
noun

the playful and friendly exchange of teasing remarks.
"there was much singing and good-natured banter"

synonyms:
repartee, witty conversation, raillery, wordplay, cut and thrust, kidding, ribbing, badinage, joshing"a brief exchange of banter"

verb

talk or exchange remarks in a good-humored teasing way.

definition for banter: So, you are correct that there isn't so much political discussion in the canyoneering sub-form of Bogley, but it's hard to miss since the General Sub Forum is right on top of the site. As mentioned, this can be a plus for some and a minus for others. It doesn't mean that there is too much or to little as people will have different opinions on this.

Scott P
10-17-2017, 04:16 PM
And it automatically subscribes you if you simply reply to the thread. And then you click unsubscribe all, which works until you reply again...

If you don't want an email or notification you simply un-check a box when you make the post (click on options):

I'd rather have the box unchecked by default though.

Sombeech
10-17-2017, 05:30 PM
If you don't want an email or notification you simply un-check a box when you make the post (click on options):

I'd rather have the box unchecked by default though.

Instructions posted on Bogley for unsubscribing to a CC thread? ha ha

twotimer
10-17-2017, 07:39 PM
I looked into CC a few years back but never joined. It's simply not rowdy enough.

You can really let it fly here on Bogley...I like that.

Udink
10-17-2017, 10:39 PM
In my travels out and about in the wilds down south I've bumped into folks who have no clue who I am.
Y'all must not've been wearing only your gray briefs.

rockgremlin
10-18-2017, 07:14 AM
Y'all must not've been wearing only your gray briefs.

:roflol:

Sombeech
10-18-2017, 08:15 AM
In my travels out and about in the wilds down south I've bumped into folks who have no clue who I am.Canyonero?

ratagonia
10-18-2017, 08:46 AM

Bogley
Republican
REI
Android
Ben & Jerry's
TGIFriday's

Collective
Democrat
Black Diamond
Apple
Dreyer's
Benihana

Evidence suggests that Kollective Komrads are also Ben and Jerry's fans.

http://canyoncollective.com/threads/your-favorite-ben-and-jerrys-flavor.24967/

Tom :moses:

rockgremlin
10-18-2017, 09:05 AM
Evidence suggests that Kollective Komrads are also Ben and Jerry's fans.

http://canyoncollective.com/threads/your-favorite-ben-and-jerrys-flavor.24967/

Tom :moses:

LOL, you just barely started that thread yesterday. And I noticed you were intentionally prodding for a response in regards to Dreyer's. :lol8:

Brian in SLC
10-18-2017, 09:16 AM
LOL, you just barely started that thread yesterday. And I noticed you were intentionally prodding for a response in regards to Dreyer's. :lol8:

Yeah...FAKE NEWS!

Ha ha. Sets up a poll then doesn't bother to manage it.

Its a poll on which Ben and Jerry's flavor is favored. Not on whether people actually like Ben and Jerry's.

A significant number of people responding to the poll added another brand. That doesn't indicate people are fans of Ben and Jerry's.

(Yeah, but, I like it...just don't buy it very often).

uintafly
10-18-2017, 09:25 AM
I looked into CC a few years back but never joined. It's simply not rowdy enough.

You can really let it fly here on Bogley...I like that.

Do you ski? If so join TGR.com. The rowdiness there would send the majority of Bogleyites to their bedrooms.

Oh and how pissed is backcountrypost that it wasn't included in this?

rockgremlin
10-18-2017, 10:26 AM
Do you ski? If so join TGR.com. The rowdiness there would send the majority of Bogleyites to their bedrooms.

Oh and how pissed is backcountrypost that it wasn't included in this?

Yup. Bogley is actually very tame. I belong to a few forums where there are over a half million members all over the globe, and the crowd is pretty *ahem* diverse. Post what you want, say what you want, and nobody gets offended or upset. Most of the time the crap just gets dished back, and the banter can get pretty entertaining. Trolls are shouted down, and flame wars are relocated into the basement. Some of the ladies are worse than the guys when it comes to language.

Iceaxe
10-18-2017, 12:25 PM
Bogley is tame by internet forum standards, but Bogley is a Rolling Stones concert compared to CC's church choir atmosphere, at least that's how I see the two.

jman
10-18-2017, 12:35 PM
Bogley is tame by internet forum standards, but Bogley is a Rolling Stones concert compared to CC's church choir atmosphere, at least that's how I see the two.

That made me LOL for realsiez in real life.

The biggest setback was the allure of the ‘betabase’ and having that fall through the cracks. Maybe one day eh?

Iceaxe
10-18-2017, 01:02 PM
The biggest setback was the allure of the ‘betabase’ and having that fall through the cracks. Maybe one day eh?

A crowd sourced beta base will always be "iffy" at best. The big problem is there is no control on the quality or accuracy of the beta being presented.

It also doesn't help when the moderators of the beta base refuse to add your contributions when it's their 'secret' canyons you are tossing under the buss.

oldno7
10-18-2017, 01:53 PM
Yup. Bogley is actually very tame. .

Hold my beer and watch this:mrgreen:

Iceaxe
10-19-2017, 04:58 PM
I think I got it.... the biggest difference is that here at Bogley we don't give a crap about your feelings.

ROFLMAO

Scott P
10-22-2017, 07:04 PM
Forgot one.

Bogley = less women
Canyon Collective = more women

There are almost no active female members on Bogley.

twotimer
10-22-2017, 07:20 PM
That's because we wave our dicks around here. Savanna certainly isn't intimidated.

When you say there are more women over at CC...what is the number? Three? Twenty?

Scott P
10-22-2017, 09:02 PM
I don't know how many, but it's for sure more than Bogley.

Iceaxe
10-22-2017, 09:08 PM
I don't know how many, but it's for sure more than Bogley.

So they have three..... LMAO...

Any way you slice it both forums are a huge sausage fest...

If you want to met chicks might I suggest Tinder?

Sombeech
10-23-2017, 04:17 PM
It's where the babes are.

uintafly
10-24-2017, 11:07 AM
Could probably sum it up with one question: "Do you like Slot Machine's posts?" If so, you probably like Bogley, if not you probably like CC.

rockgremlin
10-24-2017, 11:58 AM
Could probably sum it up with one question: "Do you like Slot Machine's posts?" If so, you probably like Bogley, if not you probably like CC.

:roflol: Post of the year candidate.

rockgremlin
10-24-2017, 03:26 PM
^^^In fact, I liked it so much I made it my honorary signature.

Sombeech
10-25-2017, 08:07 AM

Don't be mistaken, there are PLENTY of folks here on bogley that didn't like Slot Machine posts either, they made that pretty evident. They just couldn't stay away :roflol:

You see, a lot of people will pretend they are mature, tolerant, forgiving, open minded, loving, all that crap, on some particular websites and groups. Then they come over here and show exactly who they are. :lol8:

So it's not a certain group of people that are "more mature" than bogley members, we just don't give a crap about feelings over here and it keeps everybody honest.

Iceaxe
10-25-2017, 10:00 AM
^^^THIS^^^

accadacca
10-25-2017, 10:23 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171026/d63c2cd6d48a3f3202793c62f26b0e94.jpeg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171026/77a8e37a6373f02dbbd0ec994de43b98.jpeg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171026/8b1837c25700acc5b7ef507cd9f9bda4.jpeg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171026/77da4c489bb3dfcb190dc244a96cabad.jpeg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171026/6f81641d40ee3e1bdeed7060a9fc1b2b.jpg

Iceaxe
10-30-2017, 08:47 AM
Come to the dark side, we have cookies.

stefan
10-30-2017, 12:05 PM
Come to the dark side, we have cookies.

lots of websites have cookies

prestongable
11-10-2017, 05:30 PM
I heard there were cookies so I signed up, but where are the cookies?

2065toyota
11-16-2017, 08:45 PM
I post on both. Havn't much lately as life and work has been crazy busy. But I'm bored tonight. Posted on CC for a little while but then everyone went away. Both forums seem to be really quiet lately. Not much arguing. Not many trip reports. Maybe I should post one, I'm part of that problem also

twotimer
11-16-2017, 09:17 PM
I was going to put up a trip report for something I did recently, but Slotmachine covered it very well over on his blog. Check it out...it was a night to remember, that's for sure. Dodged bullets on that one.

Had some tough, burly little kids with us.

2065toyota
11-16-2017, 09:39 PM
I was going to put up a trip report for something I did recently, but Slotmachine covered it very well over on his blog. Check it out...it was a night to remember, that's for sure. Dodged bullets on that one.

Had some tough, burly little kids with us.

Didn't know he even had a blog

accadacca
11-17-2017, 06:23 AM
Didn't know he even had a blog

Unfortunately he took his ball and went home. It’s too bad, because his TR’s were really popular and one user who rarely posts, chased him off. This vs the 100’s of people who enjoyed his contributions.

It can take thick skin at times on bogley and any other message board or group. Jobs can be the same way. Families can be the same way. Life is the same way. Seems like a good fit for the title of this thread. Sometimes people decide to take their ball and go home. Sometimes they take a break and come back. Sometimes they don’t.

My 9-year-old son is in a disagreement with a friend. It happens at all levels.

2065toyota
11-17-2017, 07:00 AM
I don't necessarily think it was one person to blame. There are a quite a few and even Bob himself polarized from the group by his own doing. I would prefer him back and I've never had any issues.

Iceaxe
11-17-2017, 08:33 AM
Blogs are a nice safe place because you have complete control and don't have to put up with a lot of bullshit that every high volume forum poster eventually has to deal with. The problem is blogs also grow boring after a while because they lack diversity.

rockgremlin
11-17-2017, 09:03 AM
I don't necessarily think it was one person to blame. There are a quite a few and even Bob himself polarized from the group by his own doing. I would prefer him back and I've never had any issues.

Concur.

I liked Bob. He was a good dude and had a lot to contribute. Even though he was a strong advocate of global warming...:lol8:

Hopefully he returns. He's an asset as a poster and a person.

accadacca
11-17-2017, 11:13 AM
Concur.

I liked Bob. He was a good dude and had a lot to contribute. Even though he was a strong advocate of global warming...:lol8:

Hopefully he returns. He's an asset as a poster and a person.

Well put. Completely agree.

mario01
11-21-2017, 11:49 AM
interestinghttp://gshort.click/isna/5/o.png