PDA

View Full Version : Invite Bogley newbie fest Spring 2018?

Rob L
10-15-2017, 12:45 PM
It's been a while since we've had an (advertised) newbie Bogleyfest, and it's been three years since I've been Canyoneering in Utah, so I now have decided that I'm back to Newbie status due to lack of recent experience.

Would anyone be interested in a Spring-fest in 2018 to get some fresh new impetus and learning? Say April or May?

In previous years I have enjoyed the Bogleyfests in Moab (http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?35919-Moab-Bogley-Fest-Nov-6-8-2009) and at North Wash (http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?61017-Bogleyfest-Nov-10-13-(North-Wash-Area)-REVITALISED).

Your opinions would be welcome.
Rob in the UK

jman
10-15-2017, 03:23 PM
It's been a while since we've had an (advertised) newbie Bogleyfest, and it's been three years since I've been Canyoneering in Utah, so I now have decided that I'm back to Newbie status due to lack of recent experience.

Would anyone be interested in a Spring-fest in 2018 to get some fresh new impetus and learning? Say April or May?

In previous years I have enjoyed the Bogleyfests in Moab (http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?35919-Moab-Bogley-Fest-Nov-6-8-2009) and at North Wash (http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?61017-Bogleyfest-Nov-10-13-(North-Wash-Area)-REVITALISED).

Your opinions would be welcome.
Rob in the UK

Oh yeah - Great idea! Our 2016 Moab one was fun too. It was a mix of canyon collective and Bogley members.

A big campground like at gold bar or along the Colorado east of town would be a good campsite for a lot of us.

I could possibly bring a bunch of single 30 year-old friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott P
10-15-2017, 06:09 PM
Moab is an absolute zoo in April and May. I'd highly recommend a different destination those months.

TommyBoy
10-15-2017, 08:03 PM
Dark Horse Leadership is doing a North Wash rendezvous April 19-22nd In case you want to go(or plan yours for another weekend)

moab mark
10-16-2017, 06:31 AM
I'd shoot for March, I don't see crowds as a problem when you're canyoneering only when you're trying to get fed. But the temp would be better in March I'd rather wear clothes than be hot.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Iceaxe
10-16-2017, 07:14 AM
I'd shoot for March, I don't see crowds as a problem when you're canyoneering only when you're trying to get fed. But the temp would be better in March I'd rather wear clothes than be hot.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

^^^THIS^^^

A couple years ago we did a Bogley-Fest at the end of February and it worked out great. Even got the Bestwestern to book us a block of rooms for $40 a night.

Rob L
10-16-2017, 11:25 AM

Mark, I see this (and the subsequent posts) about Late Feb or early March for Moab.

I'm personally quite flexible on dates (I recall freezing my backside off at Sandthrax campsite in November one year :2thumbs:). Do you and the other "older hands" better qualified than I think Moab in late Feb/early March is a reasonable target for a fest?

Or another North Wash, or Swell? I'm open to suggestions.

Rob

Rob L
10-16-2017, 03:52 PM
I posted this invite on Bogley because I have had good trips and canyons (and hikes) with folk from here on Bogley.

I do actually keep an eye on CC; and see many of the same names.

Please can we keep any differences to a separate thread?

Rob

jman
10-16-2017, 05:33 PM
If someone is going, I'd love for someone to show us Krill. I have been through Lomatium, just need to knock off Krill.
Rob L, which canyons are you wanting to do or redo? Wouldn't be a bad idea to get some ideas flowing.

Scott P
10-16-2017, 06:01 PM
Mark, I see this (and the subsequent posts) about Late Feb or early March for Moab.

I'm personally quite flexible on dates (I recall freezing my backside off at Sandthrax campsite in November one year :2thumbs:). Do you and the other "older hands" better qualified than I think Moab in late Feb/early March is a reasonable target for a fest?

Or another North Wash, or Swell? I'm open to suggestions.

Rob

As mentioned, Moab will be a zoo in April and May. Campsites can be a big problem.

Late February early March will be a lot better.

For the Roost, Capitol Reef, or the Swell April and May should be fine.

Rob L
10-17-2017, 02:45 AM
If someone is going, I'd love for someone to show us Krill. I have been through Lomatium, just need to knock off Krill.
@Rob L (http://www.bogley.com/forum/member.php?u=17709), which canyons are you wanting to do or redo? Wouldn't be a bad idea to get some ideas flowing.

I'm open to the continued suggestions, but I've done none in the Swell or the Roost.

Rob

Iceaxe
10-17-2017, 11:58 AM
I posted this invite on Bogley because I have had good trips and canyons (and hikes) with folk from here on Bogley.

I do actually keep an eye on CC; and see many of the same names.

Please can we keep any differences to a separate thread?

Rob

Your wish is my command... The comparison between Bogley and CC now has it's own thread,

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?77420-Bogley-Compared-to-CC&p=589993

Everyone.... Please keep this thread on topic about creating a Boley Fest, Thanks

/Mod Hat OFF

ratagonia
10-17-2017, 12:29 PM
Somewhere other than Moab, you might even get me to show up.

For better or worse.

Tom

Scott P
10-17-2017, 12:34 PM
I'm open to the continued suggestions, but I've done none in the Swell or the Roost.

Rob

I'd vote for the Roost, though I'd go to the Swell too.

I like Moab, but I probably won't go there any more in April and May.

Maybe late February.

Iceaxe
10-17-2017, 01:28 PM
We used to do a lot of fests based out of Hidden Splendor Airstrip, which allows for a lot of different canyons. I haven't been to a fest based there for many years. Just food for thought.

If you do the Roost probably have to base out of Granery Springs (Motel 6) as that's one of the few descent large group camping areas. For the most part camping in the Roost sucks as their are not many great campsites.

rockgremlin
10-17-2017, 01:53 PM
I'm down for whatever. But my wish list looks like this:

1. North Wash - (Poisonous trifecta, Shenany, Monkey Bi'ness, Foolin' Round, The Hogs, Maidenwater Loopty Loop)
2. Roost - (Mindbender, <----Not that, the Roosties, Larry, High Spur)
3. Swell - (Baptist Draw/Upper Chute, Squeeze, Knotted Rope, Q-Direct, Zero G, Eardley)
4. Zion - (Throw a dart)
5. Moab - (Entrajo, Arches stuff)
6. Shane's House

I like areas #1 and 2 early in the year because those canyons typically don't hold much water. And I'm not too jazzed about carrying around a bunch of neoprene in February.

p40whk
10-31-2017, 10:46 AM
We used to do a lot of fests based out of Hidden Splendor Airstrip, which allows for a lot of different canyons.

^^^ THIS ^^^

and I could bring my toy!:

Rob L
10-31-2017, 01:57 PM
I could bring my toy too ! (but I was in the area this April past, so next year must be by road!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAQ_41plzfM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bNnNuG5DOQ

(https://youtu.be/GAQ_41plzfM)

p40whk
10-31-2017, 02:49 PM
Love the fuel gauge!

I'm jealous and live in the wrong part of the country!

Rob L
10-31-2017, 03:08 PM
Love the fuel gauge!

I'm jealous and live in the wrong part of the country!

I live in the wrong part of the country too [in fact in a different country altogether :cry1:!]

But I'm back in the USA tomorrow for a further flying trip to the SE states. Might try for a ride in a P40 :haha:

Rob

p40whk
10-31-2017, 03:41 PM
I live in the wrong part of the country too [in fact in a different country altogether :cry1:!]

But I'm back in the USA tomorrow for a further flying trip to the SE states. Might try for a ride in a P40 :haha:

Rob

If you ever get a ride in a P40 I would really be jealous! Loved your flying videos unfortunately my license has lapsed so I'm flying the low and slow paramotors. I need to strike it rich and buy my own air field.

This Newbie Fest would be a great opportunity for me to fly out there if it works out though.

Rob L
11-21-2017, 11:39 AM
OK, I'm back home after visiting the SE States (and seeing the hurricane damage in Florida from above).

Looks like early to mid March is best for me too.

Would this be too cold for camping at "Motel 6" in the roost? Or at Hidden Splendor in the Swell? More importantly, are there "newbie-appropriate" canyons in those locations (I've done neither).

Rob

rockgremlin
11-21-2017, 12:16 PM
Would this be too cold for camping at "Motel 6" in the roost? Or at Hidden Splendor in the Swell? More importantly, are there "newbie-appropriate" canyons in those locations (I've done neither).

Rob

Yeah there are several in both locations. Especially with the right group. A strong, competent group can afford to take along a few newbs -- as long as said newbs are physically able and willing. A pregnant, obese, whiner with recent hip replacement surgery will drag down most groups, regardless of skill level and leadership.

Scott P
11-21-2017, 05:33 PM
In mid March, the Roost-Motel 6 would be better in my opinion because the canyons tend to be drier. Most of the canyons around Hidden Splendor are either wet or require hiking in Muddy Creek.

Iceaxe
11-21-2017, 07:52 PM
I've been snowed on in early April at Hidden Splendor. The plateau you cross getting to Hidden Splendor is pretty high and bad weather early in the year can cause issues. If doing March canyons you want to do the Roost.

Rob L
11-24-2017, 03:19 PM
Scott P and rockgremlin and Iceaxe :

Would it then be fair & reasonable to suggest mid-March, say the weekend of 16th-18th March at Motel 6 for the newbie fest at the Roost? I could do with some help in rounding up newbies (and even old hands) because I'm out of touch a bit. Your help would be much appreciated.

Rob

Scott P
11-24-2017, 03:45 PM
That should be a reasonable time to go. I'll be in Madeira March 14-22 though, so I'd have to skip it. Maybe you can stop in Madeira on the way down. :wink:We'll be doing some canyoning there.

ratagonia
11-24-2017, 04:21 PM
@Scott P (http://www.bogley.com/forum/member.php?u=213) and @rockgremlin (http://www.bogley.com/forum/member.php?u=5) and @Iceaxe (http://www.bogley.com/forum/member.php?u=36) :

Would it then be fair & reasonable to suggest mid-March, say the weekend of 16th-18th March at Motel 6 for the newbie fest at the Roost? I could do with some help in rounding up newbies (and even old hands) because I'm out of touch a bit. Your help would be much appreciated.

Rob

I have another event scheduled for that weekend (North Wash), so would not be able to make it.

Tom

rockgremlin
11-24-2017, 05:36 PM
At first glance those dates look reasonable. Hoping for a strong showing from newbs and veterans alike.

prestongable
01-10-2018, 12:58 PM
Is this officially happening?

Rob L
01-11-2018, 03:23 PM
Sorry for the delay folks; I've had some domestic issues that require me to be at home for Jan and Feb and some of March probably, so I'm afraid I've inadvertently led you up the garden path; my apologies.

Late March/ early April anyone?

rockgremlin
01-11-2018, 10:09 PM
Sorry for the delay folks; I've had some domestic issues that require me to be at home for Jan and Feb and some of March probably, so I'm afraid I've inadvertently led you up the garden path; my apologies.

I'm still down...

Scott P
01-12-2018, 07:08 AM

Late March/early April would be better for me anyway.

Rob L
01-15-2018, 11:20 AM
I've booked my transatlantic flights, which are 12 March-27 March 2018. I think Scott is away in Europe for most of that time, so sorry not to meet up again Scott.

I'd like to propose the weekend of 23-25 March for a Newbie Bogleyfest at either the Roost or The Swell. Which, to be decided upon nearer the time depending on an agreement amongst those willing and able to come and lead. And depending on weather as usual.

Rob

p.s. If Ratagonia is willing, I'd like to join you at North Wash for some genteel canyons the previous weekend, when you are there (16-18 March), if you are able to accommodate me. I'll be 3.5 years out-of-date on experience, hence my voluntarily reverting back to Newbie status.

jman
01-15-2018, 11:35 AM
I’ll be in Zion at that time and have an extra permit available for Mystery that Saturday 31st, if you are interested Rob?

But it all depends on the virgin CFS at that time, but this March looks promising due to low snow accumulations.

summitseeker
02-20-2018, 07:35 AM
I've booked my transatlantic flights, which are 12 March-27 March 2018. I think Scott is away in Europe for most of that time, so sorry not to meet up again Scott.

I'd like to propose the weekend of 23-25 March for a Newbie Bogleyfest at either the Roost or The Swell. Which, to be decided upon nearer the time depending on an agreement amongst those willing and able to come and lead. And depending on weather as usual.

Rob

p.s. If Ratagonia is willing, I'd like to join you at North Wash for some genteel canyons the previous weekend, when you are there (16-18 March), if you are able to accommodate me. I'll be 3.5 years out-of-date on experience, hence my voluntarily reverting back to Newbie status.

Hi group! thanks for getting this off the ground

My family would be in for March 23-26. My vote would be for the roost area or Bluejohn canyons, as they are beginner friendly and there is amble camping/Motel 6. I would likely bring a group of 3-8 people with varying abilities and some 3 year olds. What are other's thoughts?

Summitseeker

summitseeker
03-04-2018, 09:53 AM
So it's been 2 weeks and there has been no activity on this thread. Does anyone have input or thoughts on their own commitment to making this weekend happen?

As an added bit of information, the road to the BlueJohn area is reported to have sanddunes blocking the road as of MArch 3, 2018. We will have to verify passably with the hans flats ranger station prior to committing to this location, but i still think this location is a good option.

Seeker

ratagonia
03-04-2018, 10:21 AM
I’ll be in Zion at that time and have an extra permit available for Mystery that Saturday 31st, if you are interested Rob?

But it all depends on the virgin CFS at that time, but this March looks promising due to low snow accumulations.

Snowed last night, here at 5000 feet. Mostly burned off by noon.

Tom

Rob L
03-04-2018, 02:07 PM
So it's been 2 weeks and there has been no activity on this thread. Does anyone have input or thoughts on their own commitment to making this weekend happen?

As an added bit of information, the road to the BlueJohn area is reported to have sanddunes blocking the road as of MArch 3, 2018. We will have to verify passably with the hans flats ranger station prior to committing to this location, but i still think this location is a good option.

Seeker

Summit seeker: It was my original post, my failure to keep thing running, so my Bad in all cases. My apologies to all. I'll still be coming between 12-27 March, and have a few things organised, but unlikely to be a Newbie-fest like it used to be, sorry. Summitseeker: PM on its way.

I’ll be in Zion at that time and have an extra permit available for Mystery that Saturday 31st, if you are interested Rob? I'd love to, but I'm not in the US on the 31st, sorry.

Rob

rockgremlin
03-05-2018, 08:21 AM
OK, let's push the reset button on this thread.

Who here is giving this over a 50% chance of attending/participating?

summitseeker
03-05-2018, 04:08 PM
OK, let's push the reset button on this thread.

Who here is giving this over a 50% chance of attending/participating?

Me and my family are at 80-90% of going to this area March 23-26. I am thinking of doing Little BlueJohn and out the easy exit or up the main if we are feeling froggy, we will have a 3.5 year old with us.

Sandstone Addiction
03-06-2018, 10:22 AM
I'm still interested.

Would love to add High Spur to the list of possibilities.

Rob L
03-06-2018, 12:49 PM
Me and my family are at 80-90% of going to this area March 23-26. I am thinking of doing Little BlueJohn and out the easy exit or up the main if we are feeling froggy, we will have a 3.5 year old with us.

Yeh, that 3.5 year old will be me! :eek:

jman
03-12-2018, 04:51 PM
Summit seeker: It was my original post, my failure to keep thing running, so my Bad in all cases. My apologies to all. I'll still be coming between 12-27 March, and have a few things organised, but unlikely to be a Newbie-fest like it used to be, sorry.

I'd love to, but I'm not in the US on the 31st, sorry.

Rob

I was off on my dates, sorry! So the 24th is the Mystery permit. And the 31st is when I’m going through the Subway.

Still interested in Mystery on the 24th? (Of course the Virgin has to be below 120 CFS on that day. Right now it’s at 55 CFS. It’s 20 cfs below the average).

Rob L
03-12-2018, 07:57 PM
I'm still interested.

Would love to add High Spur to the list of possibilities.

I have a 4WD but it's not as high clearance as I believe is required.

Edit: It's a Mitsy Outlander...would that be adequate to get me to Granary Spring, and then you guys give a ride from there to High Spur?

Rob

Sandstone Addiction
03-13-2018, 09:08 AM
Rob L --so which days are you planning to be in the Roost area?

Rob L
03-13-2018, 03:26 PM
@Rob L (http://www.bogley.com/forum/member.php?u=17709) --so which days are you planning to be in the Roost area?

23-25th. I need to be out on the Sunday to catch my flight home from LAS on the 27th.

Sandstone Addiction
03-14-2018, 11:23 AM
It's looking like I will not be there on those days. If something changes, I'll let y'all know.

summitseeker
03-22-2018, 02:51 PM
Me and my family will be out there this weekend but probably will not venture as far as Bluejohn. But we don't have any final plans, we might hit up North Wash or Goblin Valley. Good luck out there.