PDA

View Full Version : Upper Stair

flatiron
10-01-2017, 10:48 PM
Heading down to North Wash for 1st time in few years. After several previous visits finally going to do the Butlers. At 145 lbs think I can sneak thru Shenanigans.
Not done Upper Stair either - sounds nice. Beta makes it seem similar to Boss Hog with 2 long high 'Mae West' sections. Does that seem about right? Curious I have not seen any trip reports - is it that new or 'double secret' until recently? Appreciate any feedback - thanks.

Scott P
10-02-2017, 01:01 AM
Curious I have not seen any trip reports - is it that new or 'double secret' until recently? Appreciate any feedback - thanks.

No, Stair Canyon is neither a "new" route or a secret. It has been a known betaed route for several years. It's a little farther away from the highway than the more popular North Wash stuff and the road is rougher, so that could account for fewer people.

Years ago I did Stair top to highway, but skipped the very tightest part since we didn't know how hard it was (this before there was beta on the slot section). It's a pretty canyon if you do it that way, especially if you don't mind hiking. It requires a car shuttle though.

I can't comment on the route that just does Upper Stair since I haven't the loop version.

ratagonia
10-02-2017, 11:08 AM
Heading down to North Wash for 1st time in few years. After several previous visits finally going to do the Butlers. At 145 lbs think I can sneak thru Shenanigans.
Not done Upper Stair either - sounds nice. Beta makes it seem similar to Boss Hog with 2 long high 'Mae West' sections. Does that seem about right? Curious I have not seen any trip reports - is it that new or 'double secret' until recently? Appreciate any feedback - thanks.

Upper Stair has a short, hard section, that is considerably harder than Boss Hog. I think the long and sandy drive to it has kept it from becoming popular. That is certainly why I have not done it in 10 years or more.

Tom

flatiron
10-02-2017, 08:45 PM
Thanks both !