PDA

View Full Version : Old Harness

zul
08-22-2017, 03:24 PM
Getting ready to toss out several harnessss' that are actually in pretty good shape. Just the elastic rear that holds the leg loops up is gone. Is it possible to DIY para chord or some other method to keep those leg loops up? I'm looking at three harnessss' that need help or need the trash.

Thoughts?

Scott P
08-22-2017, 03:59 PM
If the harness is in good shape except for the elastic read that holds up the leg loops, I wouldn't worry about it. Those elastics tend to wear out quickly anyway. Repair would be pretty pointless. If it were something that would compromise the integrity of the harness, then definitely toss it.

ratagonia
08-22-2017, 06:27 PM
The back hold up straps are important to the function of the harness.

CAN add a seat such as my ScuttleButt, or the Shufflebutt.

Can also get someone to replace the elastic with some solid webbing. Coming by Zion anytime soon? I would fix them for 4$ each harness.

Tom

http://www.store.canyoneeringusa.com/component/rokecwid/?option=com_rokecwid&Itemid=&view=ecwid&ecwid_product_id=59416383#!/Imlay-Shuffle-Butt/p/59416383

zul
08-22-2017, 06:38 PM
$4? What a bargain!!! Dang. I'll find a DIY method ... but ... my hat's off to Tom for the offer to fix up some old gear. Come to think of it, one harness is prob fixed proper with a shuffle butt.

Just hate throwing out stuff that might have some love to give.

2065toyota
08-22-2017, 08:44 PM
x2 on the scutllebut or shufflebut.

ratagonia
08-23-2017, 10:28 AM
$4? What a bargain!!! Dang. I'll find a DIY method ... but ... my hat's off to Tom for the offer to fix up some old gear. Come to think of it, one harness is prob fixed proper with a shuffle butt.

Just hate throwing out stuff that might have some love to give.

Technical details:

1. Webbing: 1" tubular seems to work great for this. I tend to use brightly colored webbing removed from canyons for this task. 11" or 12" is usually the right length.

2. Thread: The thread used makes a big difference. Home sewing machine, if it will get through the webbing, CAN use 69 nylon or polyester, with a 16 or 18 needle. But better to use 92 thread on a real sewing machine.

Tom

Bootboy
08-24-2017, 06:02 PM
Getting ready to toss out several harnessss' that are actually in pretty good shape. Just the elastic rear that holds the leg loops up is gone. Is it possible to DIY para chord or some other method to keep those leg loops up? I'm looking at three harnessss' that need help or need the trash.

Thoughts?

If you'll send them to me, I'll sew on urethane coated webbing that will outlast the rest of the harness. Just measure the gap you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bootboy
08-24-2017, 06:03 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170825/6c171a0ec897685241b1e88e699011f1.jpg

Can do black, green, orange, or blue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk