PDA

View Full Version : How To Eclipse

Rob L
08-18-2017, 03:17 PM
We had a total eclipse here in 1999 (my word, that long ago!)

My tips if you can make it to the path of totality:

1. Get away from everyone else; they will all have the flash going on their iPhones
2. Don't take photos...just enjoy the experience.
3. Listen.

Take care and enjoy it for what it is.

Rob

jman
08-20-2017, 12:19 PM
I’ll be at work unfortunately and will be between 91-93% totality range. Close, but not 100%

I did buy about 10 lenses from the local planetarium to watch it however. My coworkers and I have access to the roof of our building near the Salt Lake airport and will watch it there.

This will be my first solar eclipse!

Everyone in Utah is talking about how the small towns in Idaho and Wyoming won’t be able to keep up with influx of travelers. For example, a cell phone tower in one of those small towns may support up to 1000 people but 5000-10000 people showing up and no one will be able to make a phone call in or out. And not to mention everything that relies on cellular technology, like some P.O.S. systems (gas stations, restaurants, etc). In other words, bring cash!

It will be interesting to hear from some coworkers on Tuesday how the logistics turned out up there and how bad traffic will be headed back to Utah.

I’m pretty excited to witness it though. One co-worker who saw it over 40 years ago said that once it started, it was as if the world went silent for 3 minutes (the totality). No wildlife, no birds, no one was talking, etc. He compared it to a “spiritual experience.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BruteForce
08-20-2017, 01:57 PM
I simulated the eclipse today by placing my hands over my eyes for 2 minutes, then moving them. The insanity on this is just unreal. I would genuinely love to understand why this is such a big deal! As for me and during the eclipse, I'll be at work.. making bank, getting shit done and kicking ass/taking names.

Iceaxe
08-20-2017, 05:56 PM
This will be my second solar eclipse, with Gods help I might see one more.