PDA

View Full Version : News Pipe Spring (ZION, MIA) No Longer Safe!!

ratagonia
08-14-2017, 12:12 PM
I have a report that the Pipe Spring watersource, on the MIA land up near the top of the MIA Exit from Kolob Creek, is no longer safe for drinking. A recent visitor drank some BEFORE noticing the sign, and now is ill, looks like Giardia (unconfirmed at this writing, but definitely something NASTY).

It is unlikely that this watersource will become safe in the near future. Long term hard to say. But what I do say is NO! Do not count on this, and even if not marked as unsafe, I would not use it. A loss to our community, but not worth risking your health on.

Tom

jman
08-14-2017, 01:00 PM
Aww... :(

I was drinking from it heavily last year after Kolob and Boundary. It’s sooo cold and refreshing.

Time for a filter...

Thanks Tom for the update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockgremlin
08-14-2017, 01:09 PM
Don't they graze livestock and/or sheep above that spring? If so, wouldn't that be a HUGE red flag?

ratagonia
08-14-2017, 02:14 PM
Don't they graze livestock and/or sheep above that spring? If so, wouldn't that be a HUGE red flag?

It is several miles of wilderness between the spring and numerous bovines, so, no. No red flag there.

Tom

rockgremlin
08-14-2017, 02:31 PM
Interesting. I've drank from at least a half dozen mountain streams and never gotten sick before. Was I just lucky? Or is Giardia just not as ubiquitous as I thought?

ratagonia
08-14-2017, 04:12 PM
Interesting. I've drank from at least a half dozen mountain streams and never gotten sick before. Was I just lucky? Or is Giardia just not as ubiquitous as I thought?

Some people already have it, and do not show effects. Some people, on some 'infections', do not get symptoms. It is not all that common, but, you really do NOT want to get it.

Or it could be some other bacterial infection that got through the defenses.

Tom