PDA

View Full Version : News Death in Eardley Canyon

Udink
05-17-2017, 06:42 AM
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=44276699&nid=148&title=dps-shares-video-of-rescue-recovery-mission-in-emery-county

This happened in Eardley Canyon. The group had hiked up the north canyon rim and was scrambling down into the watercourse to do a technical rappel of the canyon. One woman fell a few hundred feet and reportedly died instantly.

oldno7
05-17-2017, 07:05 AM
condolences to family and all involved.

jman
05-17-2017, 07:13 AM
Thanks for posting this Udink. I read this last night and was gonna post it but forgot.

Do you know if they were headed towards the "normal" drop-in point or the "shortcut" route?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Udink
05-17-2017, 07:24 AM
Do you If they were headed towards the "normal" dropin point or the "shortcut" route?
I'm not sure. A friend who was on the recovery described it as a "class 4 scramble."

jman
05-17-2017, 07:37 AM
I'm not sure. A friend who was on the recovery described it as a "class 4 scramble."

It sounds like could have been on the "shortcut" route. The normal route while steep, doesn't have the exposed edges like the shortcut path does.

There are many opportunities to make a fall like that if one descends that route. Please be careful and don't rush it.

Edit: I just watched the KSL vid of the rescue and yup, that is the shortcut route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk