PDA

View Full Version : Adventure Race! (Including canyon)

Spidey
02-10-2017, 07:19 PM
Join us for a one of a kind experience.
Our first adventure race, including the descent of a technical canyon. (No it's not that technical). Basic canyoneering skills and decent fitness will be sufficient.
(So come see if you have the luck o the Irish to win)
May 20th 2017.
For details go to www.darkhorseadventureraces.com
Here at Darkhorse we pride ourselves on delivering the best events anywhere.
Join us for a fantastic, fun, adventurous day!

See you there, Spidey.

jman
02-10-2017, 11:12 PM
WHAT?! this is Awesome!

Thanks Spidey. Time to rally the troops.

Slot Machine
02-11-2017, 12:59 AM
Team Fee: $495.00

I don't think most canyoneering teams have a combined net worth of this amount. Also, most canyoneers have bad credit due to divorce, foreclosure, and/or bankruptcy.

Given these significant issues, could Dark Horse possibly provide financing options? If so, something like 5 years / 6.95% APR would be compelling.

twotimer
02-11-2017, 06:33 AM
Smartass! I actually would get in on this but that day I'll be slightly inebriated dancing around a campfire in Moab. Anyway, this team right here would leave EVERYONE in the dust!

ratagonia
02-11-2017, 03:12 PM
Smartass! I actually would get in on this but that day I'll be slightly inebriated dancing around a campfire in Moab. Anyway, this team right here would leave EVERYONE in the dust!

Is
not campfire dancing one of the events? No? Why not???

:moses:

twotimer
02-11-2017, 05:26 PM
Free flowing alcohol and the smell of ganja waifting thru the air is highly unlikely at this event. However, show up with a few cases of Mt. Dew and you'll be the life of the party!

Spidey
02-11-2017, 07:07 PM
I'll be a bank. What do you offer for collateral? Fiddle of gold?😉

Spidey
02-11-2017, 07:09 PM
Inebriated Campfire dancing is always an event! Maybe even inebriated karaoke!
I would recommend it for the night after the race. 😉

accadacca
02-11-2017, 07:55 PM
Sounds fun. Would love to see some video of this somehow. Maybe by drone Sombeech

rockgremlin
02-11-2017, 11:00 PM
Michael Kelsey could single-handedly beat any team that's likely to show up.

rockgremlin
02-11-2017, 11:03 PM
Free flowing alcohol and the smell of ganja waifting thru the air is highly unlikely at this event...

Which event? The canyoneer race or your Moab shindig?

twotimer
02-12-2017, 06:16 AM
Michael Kelsey could single-handedly beat any team that's likely to show up.Ha, ha! You would think, eh? I've hiked with Kelsey and he's hard to keep up with on the flats. He's got a stride that covers six feet.That's why his hiking times seem so fast. Get him on rough up or down though, and he moves at a more mortal speed. His knees slow him down.

I started to get excited about this race thing until I saw the date, otherwise I'd be trying to recruit a team. I reckon there will be some hot shot racers there, so finishing at the front of the pack might be hoping for too much. I'm nearly 54 but hop around like I'm 25. I can ride my mnt. bike for 8 hours straight...but I'll me riding along, all proud of myself punching out steep climbs when some 6' skinny as a rail 22 year old goes flying by me. But completing a race like this would be a nifty thing to accomplish. I would also hope that Sandthrax itself would be part of the course? If that were the case, you'd think they'd set up a rope at the silo to prevent bodies from piling up.

twotimer
02-12-2017, 06:19 AM
Which event? The canyoneer race or your Moab shindig?Been to a Zion Rendezvous? It's a pretty wholesome, family friendly gig. The Moab thing gets a bit wild after the kids (if any) go to bed.

jman
02-12-2017, 02:40 PM
Question for ya Spidey: Seeing as this based out of Sandthrax, would it be advantageous to know any of the canyons down there?

If the course ran through one of the Hogs, for example, one that I have not done, some one who is familiar with that area would have an advantage over me. Would it be wise to do or redo some of those canyons in that area before the race? (Of course we don't know which canyon or canyons it will be, but one make a educated guess and hope that it turns out tot their advantage right?

Or is the course going to be laid it where everyone knows for the most part, which path to take, but the challenging part will be the run part, or rather, the one who can do it the fastest?

Edit: looks like there are two divisions, one is a non-gps division (wolf) and the other is (hawk).

So with that said, the non-gps division (wolf) it would be advantageous to know as many canyons in that area right?

Or am I overthinking the details here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spidey
02-12-2017, 06:30 PM
Most likely over thinking things.
We won't reveal the course until the day before the race. Our intention is to keep the playing field as level as possible.

Spidey
02-12-2017, 09:23 PM
Michael Kelsey could single-handedly beat any team that's likely to show up.

I'm your huckleberry!
But unfortunately I'm not eligible since I'm an organizer.

Iceaxe
02-12-2017, 09:56 PM
You wouldn't stand a chance. Kelsey does 90' rappels and doesn't even use a rope. He hikes with 50 pounds of sand in his pack just for the fun of it. Heck, even Sasquatch takes a backseat to "the authors" legendary backcountry skills.

twotimer
02-13-2017, 05:58 AM
I'm your huckleberry!
Ha ha...great movie! Val Kilmer nailed it.

"OK lunger...Let's do it!"

Sombeech
02-13-2017, 07:25 AM
Sounds fun. Would love to see some video of this somehow. Maybe by drone @Sombeech (http://www.bogley.com/forum/member.php?u=6)

Yeah I'm still looking to add some canyoneering footage to my drone portfolio. I wouldn't dare get inside slots any more narrow than 8 feet, but I could take some great overhead shots looking down into the slot, and then panning out.

Will there be anybody up topside following along for support? I could hang around them.

Here is the only climbing related footage I've got so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EQ8swHRcrs

On another note, I do try and preserve the serenity and solitude of an experience, this may be one of the few situations where the I think a drone wouldn't disturb the peace, as it is a race. But if there are some who still feel the noise of a drone would ruin it, I won't argue with that. I would like to think of myself as a responsible drone pilot. I do my best to ask permission before flying near anybody.

Thanks

Iceaxe
02-13-2017, 10:16 AM
Beech, if you're looking for cool things to shoot video of you might consider the High School MTB races. Below is a video I made, but a friend supplied the drone footage. If you want a video to go viral this would be a good chance since the races attract over 1000 racers and you just know every student, parent and grandparent would be sharing the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7riPgMvYOk

Scott P
02-14-2017, 09:05 AM
Yeah I'm still looking to add some canyoneering footage to my drone portfolio. I wouldn't dare get inside slots any more narrow than 8 feet, but I could take some great overhead shots looking down into the slot, and then panning out.

Will there be anybody up topside following along for support? I could hang around them.

If you could get some footage of my wife and kids canyoneering and climbing, it would be greatly appreciated. I fear that the still photos of such activities that are sent to the inlaws are starting to lose some of their shock value. Maybe actual videos will stir the pot a little.:naughty:

jman
02-14-2017, 03:43 PM

Here is the only climbing related footage I've got so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EQ8swHRcrs

On another note, I do try and preserve the serenity and solitude of an experience, this may be one of the few situations where the I think a drone wouldn't disturb the peace, as it is a race. But if there are some who still feel the noise of a drone would ruin it, I won't argue with that. I would like to think of myself as a responsible drone pilot. I do my best to ask permission before flying near anybody.

Thanks

I think a fun canyon that you could record where access would be easy (and legal) would be 'Zero Gravity' in the San Rafael Swell. Or even Eardley Canyon when it's full of water. It's like a water park in there.

Those would be good.

Sombeech
02-14-2017, 03:49 PM
I think a fun canyon that you could record where access would be easy (and legal) would be 'Zero Gravity' in the San Rafael Swell. Or even Eardley Canyon when it's full of water. It's like a water park in there.

Those would be good.

Oh I forgot I've got that rappelling video of us down Adams Canyon Waterfall by Drone

http://youtu.be/rrp0R2kEfMM

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Utah Canyoneer
02-16-2017, 11:28 AM
If there is a team needing a 4th member private message me, I'll happily pay my share. I'm pretty quick in the canyons and I'll be training to be quick on the runs/hikes as well! I've done sandthrax (which I'm sure isn't in the course) and I'm hitting a couple more in the area this month.

2065toyota
02-16-2017, 02:45 PM
Hope everyone is well and doesn't take any unnecessary risks just to win the 'race'

Spidey
02-23-2017, 07:25 PM
Perhaps a quick explanation is in order.
Yes there is a technical canyon as part of the race. It is not overly technical. Basic canyoneering skills, and decent fitness will be sufficient for the race.
You might be 4ish hours, you might be 12ish, but this is doable.

Spidey