PDA

View Full Version : Zion National Park May Start Limiting Number of Visitors

accadacca
10-16-2016, 04:14 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161016/2ad708b0503c7b2f82f08d0b700b2ff4.jpg

Zion National Park's continuing popularity has sparked discussions of limiting the number of visitors.

The Salt Lake Tribune reports (http://bit.ly/2eck26A) that park officials are planning several public meetings to discuss how to combat overwhelmed facilities and increased land erosion.

Zion is expecting a record 4 million visitors this year.

Among officials' proposals is to cap the number of daily visitors through a reservation system instead of a first-come first-served basis.

Park spokeswoman Aly Baltrus says they are accepting feedback from the public.

People can submit comments and view strategies that have been proposed at the National Park Service's website.

The park is aiming to have a final plan by fall 2018.

———

Information from: The Salt Lake Tribune, http://www.sltrib.com

oldno7
10-16-2016, 06:39 PM
Was there today and every small patch of dirt, along the road, had a car parked on it, people everywhere.

rockgremlin
10-16-2016, 07:53 PM
It's a real problem. It's become a redrock version of Disneyland. I USED to enjoy going there, but now I just cringe.

Iceaxe
10-17-2016, 06:37 AM
I used to visit Zion about twice a month. But it's been 2 years since I was last there. Too many people and too many rules and regulations these days for my taste.

jman
10-17-2016, 06:45 AM
I agree that something needs to be done with crowd control.

That being said, I have been there 4x this year and as long as we had a permit, we were great.

Parking wasn't an issue if you were in the park by 8am. The only line we had to wait in for was for the shuttle which was about a 15min wait at the VC going UP canyon. Once you were up the canyon and wanted to go higher or back down - we didn't once have to wait for a shuttle in either direction.

Angels landing from Scouts Lookout sucked though. But you go to that with low expectations then you aren't as angry at everyone... :P

We were the only ones in Keyhole and Pinecreek, Mystery, Behunin, Echo, Kolob, and Spry. Now, the Subway was a different story, but there is ALWAYS people in there, so again, go in with lowered expectations and the trip turns out great.

Even dinner in town was no longer than a 20min wait.

Sure, I wish it was less crowded but we all know that is NEVER going to happen.

So you plan accordingly and plan well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dakotabelliston
10-17-2016, 07:31 AM
I've been to Zion about 5 times this year. I haven't had any trouble finding parking, waiting on shuttles, or finding a place to eat. With that being said they don't have enough parking & ice heard discussion on erosion due to visitors wandering off trail.

My worry is even more restrictions to a already difficult permit system for canyoneers. Once I cross off the majority of Zion canyons on my list my plan is to start venturing to other areas.... that is if I can stay away from the incredible place.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rob L
10-17-2016, 02:27 PM
I was last in Zion NP in May 2016. I'm a regular visitor (from Britland) but I was astounded by the huge numbers of visitors there at that time of year (I normally visit in November). I struggled to find a parking space.

As an "alien" (as the Americans like to call visitors), I last saw this at Grand Canyon about 8 years ago...and I learned then to time my visits to the "off-season", and to head for the off-the-tourist-map places. Fortunately, there are many of those in the SW of the US.

Perhaps all the NPs are now so popular that at any warm time, the coachloads of tourists will envelop the place.

Rob

ps When travelling to Utah, I do consider myself a visitor, but not a tourist.

2065toyota
10-17-2016, 02:43 PM
Hopefully enough of the people that keep whining about too many people will just stop going there then. I go there 40 to 50 times a year, yes there is a lot of people, yes its a little annoying sometimes, but so what. It's an awesome place and the tourists are only in the touristy places. Where I like to go they aren't. So I hope they don't put any more restrictions on entrance or permits or anything. Raise the entrance fee a little bit if anything. Those of us that go a lot go early or have passes so it wont really affect the ones that use the park alot.

jman
10-17-2016, 03:08 PM
I go there 40 to 50 times a year.

Geez! And my coworkers think that my 4 or 5 times there a year is a lot...

You definitely get the cake on that one. I'll bet Tom doesn't even go there quite that often in a year...at least anymore...

2065toyota
10-17-2016, 03:27 PM
I'm sure he does. He seems to be getting out quite a bit lately actually. It's pretty easy when it's only 40 min from your house. During the summer you can get off work at 4 and still get there a get a canyon in the evening. Sometimes you need some headlights, but that isn't a big deal.

I always see people panicking when it starts getting dark. If everyone would just purposely do one in the dark then they'd realize it doesn't really matter. You are going down, and everything that you need to deal with is right in front of you. Not as scenic by any means, but still a lot of fun.

We still talk about our midnight run through keyhole and pine creek. Existing down the boulder field just as the sun comes up. And no one else around. We had the whole park and canyons to ourselves :haha:

jman
10-17-2016, 06:23 PM
So when they mention erosion...do we know specifically which area(s) or is it meant as a whole? Just curious.

dougrz
10-18-2016, 03:38 PM
In the larger picture, why do we want open borders? If our population goes from 300 million to 400 or 500 in next 50 years, where do our children go? Where do we go 10 years from now?

Sombeech
10-18-2016, 03:43 PM
they should let me start filming with my drone inside the park. If it annoys people like they suggest it would, then the visitor numbers decline, I get great footage, it's a win win situation.

kiwi_outdoors
10-20-2016, 11:40 AM
As attendance limited and other regulations come into play, the parks become less accessible to lower socio-economic folks (who have less time off and less flexibility). Which is elitist IMO. But bureaucracies like rules - and limits - so expect it to happen at some point.

P.S. I work for a bureaucracy - so I see how rules creep up in number.

Doc Foster
10-21-2016, 02:36 AM
It is way too crowded. I remember visiting there twice in the 1980's and it was very enjoyable and not crowded. Camped there with no reservation in the summer time, hardly anyone on the trails, hike up Angels Landing both times. I took my wife there this summer and was shocked. We camped outside the park, and got up before sunrise to catch the first shuttle bus in at 6am, but there were so many people in line, we had to wait for the second shuttle at 6:20am. Got off at the stop for Angels Landing and started hiking with everybody else. By the time we got up to the saddle (where the bathroom is), it was so crowded it was like waiting in line at Disney World. At that point where are the chains and cables were and the excessive amount of people it was getting dangerous. We turned around and she never got to make it to the top. We later hiked up through the Narrows, and it was packed. The next day, we did take an unmarked trail and were by ourselves and located the rock art we were looking for and later got to watch some bighorn sheep for a while. Yes it is a beautiful place, but it is being loved to death, as is Yosemite, South Rim of Grand Canyon, Arches, etc. I am not sure what the answer is at this point.

hank moon
10-22-2016, 08:05 PM
I always see people panicking when it starts getting dark. If everyone would just purposely do one in the dark then they'd realize it doesn't really matter.

Stop saying that!

jman
10-26-2016, 09:03 AM
Anyone here going to the session this Friday here in Salt Lake?? I'm tempted to go.

ScottM
10-26-2016, 11:01 AM
Anyone here going to the session this Friday here in Salt Lake?? I'm tempted to go.

I'm thinking seriously about going (SLC). Wondering if it will be the same briefing/RFC from earlier this year, which I participated via teleconference.

Curious as to why they are holding this on a Friday evening, are they intentionally wanting very little turnout?

jman
10-26-2016, 11:28 AM
Yea. That's what I was thinking too. That's date night for me. I dunno maybe. Even a Saturday morning would be better than a friday night.

hank moon
10-26-2016, 11:30 AM
Was there today and every small patch of dirt, along the road, had a car parked on it, people everywhere.

Since your visit, many of those dirt patches have been covered by very large rocks.

hank moon
10-26-2016, 11:46 AM
I'm thinking seriously about going (SLC). Wondering if it will be the same briefing/RFC from earlier this year, which I participated via teleconference.

Curious as to why they are holding this on a Friday evening, are they intentionally wanting very little turnout?

I attended the Hurricane meeting last night (complete schedule below). The Park personnel last night were warm, friendly and engaged in the process. I cannot imagine that the SLC scheduling was calculated to reduce attendance - most likely it was influenced by gov't travel and overtime rules, personal work schedules, and a host of other concerns. Or to put it simply, "Obama." har har...

Thanks for being involved in the process. The meetings are not nearly as important as participating in the public comment process, which has already begun. If you attended the "listening" sessions earlier this year, you probably wouldn't benefit much by attending these scoping meetings. Lots of overlap.

For the latest summary of the Zion VUMP process, click HERE (https://parkplanning.nps.gov/showFile.cfm?projectID=58542&MIMEType=application%252Fpdf&filename=ZION%20VUMP%20Newsletter%2016%5F1007%2050 8%20web%20version%20%281%29%2Epdf&sfid=258544) (pdf file)

Monday, October 24, 2016 5-7 pm (Pacific Time) University of Nevada, Las Vegas Student Union Building, Room 205, 4505 South Maryland Parkway, Las Vegas, NV

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 5-7 pm (Mountain Time) Hurricane Community Center, Meeting Room 107, 63 South 100 West, Hurricane, UT

Wednesday, October 26, 201612-2 pm (Mountain Time) Zion Lodge Auditorium, Zion Canyon Scenic Drive, Zion National Park, UT

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 5-7 pm (Mountain Time) Canyon Community Center 126 Lion Blvd. Springdale, UT

Thursday, October 27, 2016 5-7 pm (Mountain Time) Southern Utah University Sharwan Smith Student Center, Cedar Breaks Room 141, Cedar City, UTNote: Park in Lot A10 on 200 South, between 500 and 700 West

Friday, October 28, 2016 5-7 pm (Mountain Time) Salt Lake City Marriott University Park Hotel Aspen Meeting Room –5th Floor, 480 Wakara Way, Salt Lake City, UT

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 5-7 pm (Mountain Time) Kanab City Library, Multipurpose Room, 374 North Main, Kanab, UT

Iceaxe
10-26-2016, 01:03 PM
I've been to enough of these National Park Service dog and pony shows to know exactly what to expect.... The National Park Service personnel will be warm, friendly and engaged in the process, they will politely listen to all comments and concerns.... and in the end they will just go ahead and do whatever the hell they wanted to do from the start of the process. And the only reason they hold these meeting is that it's required by law.

YMMV

ScottM
10-26-2016, 01:34 PM
I cannot imagine that the SLC scheduling was calculated to reduce attendance Sarcasm fully intended. I expect they would like a good turnout, such that they can document a population was provided the opportunity to comment. Given that, it would seem reasonable that another day of the week would be more ideal - likely I'm just being selfish.

Thanks for being involved in the process. Thank you, Hank, for the read ahead and for all your contributions to the community!

kiwi_outdoors
10-26-2016, 06:42 PM
I've been to enough of these National Park Service dog and pony shows to know exactly what to expect.... The National Park Service personnel will be warm, friendly and engaged in the process, they will politely listen to all comments and concerns.... and in the end they will just go ahead and do whatever the hell they wanted to do from the start of the process. And the only reason they hold these meeting is that it's a required by law.

YMMV

YUP. And its not just them.

kiwi_outdoors
10-26-2016, 06:46 PM
Zion is like Yosemite, crowds tend to disappear 5 minutes up the trail (with. a few exceptions).

Zion has been much less crowded for me than Yosemite. But we usually avoid summer holidays at both locations.