PDA

View Full Version : Remote primitive camping with campfires

mrfritz44
09-20-2016, 05:47 AM
We've backpacked Zion and the Grand Canyon and while it was nice, I grew up on the east where campfires are more of the norm.

My brother in law and our kids would like to backpack Western Colorado and eastern Utah, and do so this time on land that allows small campfires.

Can anyone recommend some good backpacking itineraries that would allow is to end the day next to a campfire?

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Fred

rockgremlin
09-20-2016, 11:43 PM
Are small campfires allowed in Canyonlands? And what about Arches? Those are the two premier spots in eastern Utah. If fires are ok there, then that's where you outta consider first.

If fires aren't allowed in those places then I'd head for Cedar Mesa and/or Grand Staircase.

BruteForce
09-21-2016, 04:40 AM
With the cooler weather, I'd recommend considering the San Rafael Swell area. Plenty of great hikes and slot canyons, loads of wild horses and donkeys to be seen and campfires are permissible.

Scott P
09-21-2016, 08:54 AM
Are small campfires allowed in Canyonlands? And what about Arches?

No, unless you are in a campground.

rockgremlin
09-21-2016, 11:43 AM
No, unless you are in a campground.

Well, there ya go. I'd head to the Swell or Grand Staircase. Cedar Mesa is good too. One could get lost in there for weeks without seeing a single soul.

Scott P
09-21-2016, 01:02 PM
Well, there ya go. I'd head to the Swell or Grand Staircase. Cedar Mesa is good too. One could get lost in there for weeks without seeing a single soul.

Fires are not allowed while backpacking in Cedar Mesa, nor in many places in the Grand Staircase.

A Cedar Mesa at least, you can have a fire on the rims, but not while backpacking in the canyons. It has been like this for a long time.

rockgremlin
09-21-2016, 05:52 PM
<sigh> Places you can have a campfire in Utah:

Designated picnic areas in Sugarhouse Park.

Everywhere else is off limits.

Have fun roasting those marshmallows over your Coleman lamp.

wisconnyjohnny
10-13-2016, 03:48 PM
I camped somewhere near/in canyons of the ancients utah CO border where there is/was no campfire restrictions in any literature given to me by Monument employees!
However considering you are not gonna haul youre own wood the only place ive seen gathering allowed was in Sequoia Natl park in camp sites only!
"Only you"