PDA

View Full Version : Pronunciation Guide

Glenn
04-29-2016, 08:42 AM
Ever since I learned that Hurricane is pronounced "Her-uh-kin", I've wanted to make sure I know the correct ways to say names. Heck, just last week, I still was pronouncing "Kolob" as "Ka-lob" (short o) instead of "KO-LOB" (long O).

So, is there a good pronunciation guide around? Like, how do you pronounce "Behunin"? :-)

Scott P
04-29-2016, 09:31 AM
Behunin is easy to pronounce. Bee-Who-Nin.

The funny ones are seeing non-locals trying to pronounce Tooele, Oquirrh, and even Moroni, Nephi, and Lehi.

Common non-local pronunciation:

Tool-ee
O-queer
More-ohn-ee
Neff-ee
Leh-hee

tallsteve
04-29-2016, 09:48 AM
Every out of stater wants to pronounce Zion like they say it in the Matrix films- zi AHN. Just stop it already! Worse may be that even in-staters call it Zions. As far as I know there is only one park.

oldno7
04-29-2016, 11:38 AM
ba-hen-in

if ya do local dialect...

never heard scotts version, locally

Scott P
04-29-2016, 12:43 PM
ba-hen-in

Interesting. Since you're a local, I'd go with that one for the canyon. I knew a person with the last name Behunin who pronounced it the other way.

Glenn
04-29-2016, 02:25 PM
Behunin is easy to pronounce. Bee-Who-Nin.

The funny ones are seeing non-locals trying to pronounce Tooele, Oquirrh, and even Moroni, Nephi, and Lehi.

Common non-local pronunciation:

Tool-ee
O-queer
More-ohn-ee
Neff-ee
Leh-hee

I guess the LDS Pronunciation Guide (https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/pronunciation?lang=eng) should be included with all Utah travel literature.

Glenn
04-29-2016, 02:30 PM
Every out of stater wants to pronounce Zion like they say it in the Matrix films- zi AHN. Just stop it already! Worse may be that even in-staters call it Zions. As far as I know there is only one park.

Zions Bank sure doesn't help with that...

erial
04-30-2016, 06:51 AM
Shinob Kibe

Sandstone Addiction
04-30-2016, 01:12 PM
Lots of folks mispronounce this one:

Escalante, it's pronounced es'-ca-lant (like "ant" with an L in front)

NOT es-ca-lon'-tay

Couple more:

Monticello, pronounced cell-o, not like TJ's place in VA which is chell-o.

San Rafael Swell, Rafael is pronounced ra-fell' with only 2 syllables, not raw-fi(or fay)-ell.

Scott P
04-30-2016, 07:34 PM
http://www.exploreutah.com/GettingAround/SaltLakeCity.mp3

Iceaxe
04-30-2016, 09:18 PM
ba-hen-in

Scott's version is the only version I've heard from locals.

Glenn
04-30-2016, 09:31 PM
Man, that mp3 file is wierd. It's offset entirely into then negative sample range and is really, really, REALLY faint.

I can't attach an mp3 here, but have sent ExploreUtah.com a revised file. Hopefully, they'll update it.