PDA

View Full Version : Bike Purchase Opinions!

Huli
11-01-2015, 11:16 AM
I am contemplating riding the divide... In a year or two. I would need a new bike (darn) for the trip. I would like to buy a good base to get used to it, then build up the parts I don't like. What would you all suggest as a platform to start with with the goal in mind?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

neilether
11-02-2015, 09:22 AM
I am contemplating riding the divide... In a year or two. I would need a new bike (darn) for the trip. I would like to buy a good base to get used to it, then build up the parts I don't like. What would you all suggest as a platform to start with with the goal in mind?

HOnestly, this is the wrong forum for questions about an endeavor of that scope. All the MTB-ers here are much more casual recreational types. You'd be better off asking specific questions about setup on a different endurance adventure forum (don't know any specifically to point you to.....). Not trying to be a tool or anything, I just don't know how much worthwhile advice you'll get from a bunch of hacks like us.

jfeiro
11-02-2015, 11:35 AM
http://www.bikepacking.net

Huli
11-02-2015, 06:10 PM
Lol, I are a hack too.

Maybe I sounded too technical. Let me rephrase...

What bike can I buy off the shelf, kick it's arse for a few months, work out the bugs, and still survive a 2700 mile bikepacking trip... On the cheap.

neilether
11-03-2015, 07:49 AM
Lol, I are a hack too.

and still survive a 2700 mile bikepacking trip... On the cheap.

Frankly, I think you're asking for trouble. Trying to do a 2700 mile loaded bike trip on a cheap bike is not a good idea. A good aluminum hardtail would be cheaper and more reliable than a full suspension bike, but I would think it'd kick the piss out of you for that long of a ride.

Define cheap. Maybe we can start from there.

Huli
11-03-2015, 06:17 PM
I was actually leaning toward an aluminum hardtail, I usually ride a Cannondale Trail SL2. It is a 26, probably want a 29 if hard tail.

Cheap would be no more than $1500 initial investment then upgrade any parts that cause problems.