PDA

View Full Version : Conditions Water Canyon flash flood risk and any recent changes

kaniukr
09-29-2015, 12:13 AM
Hi,
After recent events at Hildale, we're going to be a lot more cautious going up Water Canyon to the White Wave on October 9, but can anyone tell us please what the flood risk is on that hike as I was under the impression the trail is quite a bit above the water in Water Canyon, but clearly from the car to the mouth of Water Canyon along Short Creek - where I believe the tragedy happened - is high risk is water is not just from Water Canyon.
Obviously we won't go if there's a thunderstorm/flash flood warning, but we wonded - if the forecast is for just the odd shower or light drizzle, is it still a danger please?

And does anyone know if recent floods have washed anything down to make the trail impassable as we are not climbers or rappellers so won't have ropes.

If anyone who has been or is experienced would like to join us, please get in contact. There will definitely be two of us, but the group could be up to 6 but no-one's been before.. Thanks

ratagonia
09-29-2015, 07:25 AM
Hi,
After recent events at Hildale, we're going to be a lot more cautious going up Water Canyon to the White Wave on October 9, but can anyone tell us please what the flood risk is on that hike as I was under the impression the trail is quite a bit above the water in Water Canyon, but clearly from the car to the mouth of Water Canyon along Short Creek - where I believe the tragedy happened - is high risk is water is not just from Water Canyon.
Obviously we won't go if there's a thunderstorm/flash flood warning, but we wondered - if the forecast is for just the odd shower or light drizzle, is it still a danger please?

And does anyone know if recent floods have washed anything down to make the trail impassable as we are not climbers or rappellers so won't have ropes.

If anyone who has been or is experienced would like to join us, please get in contact. There will definitely be two of us, but the group could be up to 6 but no-one's been before.. Thanks

Greetings -

There are a few places where the trail crosses the stream, but only a few places. You can see these places from the trail before descending into the stream, and they take only a few minutes to cross, so there is very little danger from flash flood, even DURING thunderstorms.

There are a couple steep steps where one has to use the hands for one move. They are not exposed and can be spotted. You might need to pass packs up these spots if you have overnight packs.

If you have the great bad luck of being up top when a big thunderstorm hits, you might not be able to get back down the trail for several hours.

Conclusion: This is a fairly safe trail, even in thunderstorm conditions. The massive flood probably did not change the trail.

Tom

kaniukr
09-29-2015, 01:35 PM
Thanks Ratagonia. I guess then from your answer Short Creek which is what I think hit the cars in Hildale is the danger as presumably it gathers water from more canyons than just Water Canyon and a wider area on the top of Canaan Mountain. If that's right, the thing to beware of is any storm at the start of the day and when you leave Water Canyon to head back to the car.

ratagonia
09-29-2015, 05:23 PM
Thanks Ratagonia. I guess then from your answer Short Creek which is what I think hit the cars in Hildale is the danger as presumably it gathers water from more canyons than just Water Canyon and a wider area on the top of Canaan Mountain. If that's right, the thing to beware of is any storm at the start of the day and when you leave Water Canyon to head back to the car.

You should watch the video. A very unusual storm.

Yes, there is a chance you will be swept away by a flash flood in Hildale. Also a chance you will be killed by a meteor - probably about the same chance.

Tom