PDA

View Full Version : Stuck rope in Mystery

rick t
07-12-2015, 07:18 AM
pulling the rope at the Mystery Springs rappel, despite being careful to send it up clean, the last 6 inches of our Sterling C-IV got stuck in between the wall and the big chockstone. After full body weight+ failed to free it I ascended the rope up the crack and pulled it loose. I had heard that there was a bolt under the chockstone, but never had the occasion to need to look for it. finding it, along with webbing and a rap ring was a welcome sight, as I did not relish downclimbing that wet and slippery crack 30 ft back down to the pool.

Cameron
07-12-2015, 09:59 AM
We did the exact same thing when we went down. Rope whipped straight into the crack between the chockstone and wall, had to ascend to get it. Next time I think I would just make that a two stage rap, at least for the last person.

ratagonia
07-13-2015, 08:51 AM
We did the exact same thing when we went down. Rope whipped straight into the crack between the chockstone and wall, had to ascend to get it. Next time I think I would just make that a two stage rap, at least for the last person.

Did that my second time through.

However, pulling from as far back as possible and giving a bit of a tug as it starts to fall helps keep it away from that chockstone.

The downclimb isn't too bad, except that the holds run out about 15 feet above the pool. It is a plunge from there. Send the young guy.

Tom

rick t
07-14-2015, 08:48 PM
real funny. I was the young guy

Iceaxe
07-14-2015, 09:37 PM
real funny. I was the young guy
LMAO

Cameron7
07-15-2015, 12:46 PM
oh another Cameron!