PDA

View Full Version : Measuring stuff in the U.S.A.

Iceaxe
06-17-2015, 04:09 PM
Authorities looking for fugitives Richard Matt and David Sweat have searched 16 square miles -- more than 10,000 acres, which is the equivalent of almost 8,000 football fields -- New York State Police Maj. Charles Guess told reporters Wednesday.

How many Walmart parking lots is that?

BruteForce
06-18-2015, 04:39 AM
As I understand it, the average Walmart mega-store parking lot (1000 spaces) consumes almost 20 acres, thus the police have searched approx. 500 parking lots.

Rob L
06-18-2015, 03:31 PM
It's the same the world over (football pitches)

Here in the UK our football fields are a different dimension (and we also use our feet by the way), but the unit is the same. Here, we usually hear that "the length is the same as x football fields".

If you're a sad git like me, you find other strange dimensions:

Weight:
"A bag of cement" as in: he has a waistline like a bag of cement
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unusual_units_of_measurement#Bag_of_cement _and_bag_mix

Time:
"A Jiffy" (as in: I'll be there in one)

Volume:
How many Olympic swimming pools of Vodka did that pop star consume before he fell off the stage and broke his leg?

The beauty of the feminine form:
The "Phwoaar" number (commonly misinterpreted as a scale of 1 to 10) but actually a mathematical number invented by Einstein. Which is why all men understand it, but cannot communicate it to others.

Iceaxe
06-18-2015, 03:51 PM
The beauty of the feminine form:

Back in my wild single days my scale was much simpler:

Would bang.

Would not bang.

[emoji2]

BruteForce
06-18-2015, 05:06 PM
Back in my wild single days my scale was much simpler:

Would bang.

Would not bang.