PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous (?) Used Harness For Sale On Ebay

Sandstone Addiction
06-02-2015, 09:38 AM
I have been looking on Ebay for a great deal on harnesses because my kids just don't seem to stop growing and came across this...

Seller's Description:

Black Diamond climbing harness. It's been great! Small rub burn tear on the linking loop as seen in picture, however it serves no structural purpose other than to hold the top and bottom together which your clips do anyway. *******DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE WITHOUT FIRST ADDING THE CLIP IN PLACE OF THE LOOP*******!! I gave my clips to a friend so it won't be included. Happy bidding.

Would someone actually use this? It looks like it should be destroyed IMHO.

Anyhow, bidding ends today at 8:50pm...one person has already bid on it. Hope they know what they are getting and have their life insurance premium paid up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161718757142?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Scott P
06-02-2015, 09:50 AM
No, I wouldn't use it, but I wonder how the loop burned like that. It doesn't seem to be wear from rubbing against the rock.

2065toyota
06-02-2015, 10:10 AM
As the ad states, as long as you replaced the loop with a biner it would be fine.

hank moon
06-02-2015, 10:25 AM
As the ad states, as long as you replaced the loop with a biner it would be fine.

There are carabiner/device positioning issues with not having a belay loop, and also with "replacing" said loop with a carabiner. That discussion has been beat to death elsewhere, so...Google.

Sandstone Addiction
06-02-2015, 11:01 AM

I should mention that when I first saw the ad yesterday, the ALL CAPS part of the description and the part about giving the "clips to a friend" wasn't there.

2065toyota
06-02-2015, 11:34 AM
There are carabiner/device positioning issues with not having a belay loop, and also with "replacing" said loop with a carabiner. That discussion has been beat to death elsewhere, so...Google.

I've seen quite a few people with double biners on their harness. Lots of things get 'beat to death' by opinions. I would have no issues at using a harness with a biner replacing the belay loop. Biggest question would have to be the price on the harness. Can pick a new one up for $40-50. I personally have never bought a new harness. Purchased at least 10, all off of Ebay or Craigslist. Can get good deals especially when buying packages of used gear.

YMMV