PDA

View Full Version : Salt Creek-Early March 2015

cmgz
03-14-2015, 09:20 AM
I've had lots of great day trips in the Needles during the February-March time period and wanted to try a backpack to Salt Creek. After two cancellations due to weather, I was on my way. A little more loaded down then usual as I sleep cold and a bear canister was required. They say the bears are there in fall but ok, I'll bring it. The plan was to hike up and back due to the Salt Creek road to peekaboo camp being impassable due to damage and this hiker being too chicken to go on Peekaboo trails slickrock with snow. It would necessitate going back up the 1000 feet elevation change at the end but you know you should never be afraid of a little elevation gain, right? 4 days, 3 nights. I was unable to get a report on the road conditions for the Beef Basin road as the ranger said no one from the park service had been down it yet. I brought alternate plans just in case I had to change up plans.
The road at the start-

But at around 2 miles left till the trailhead, the road turned into snow which wasn't quitting. After a somewhat tricky turn around, I parked my vehicle in a campsite and headed in with crampons on.

Found the trailhead! Looking down into Salt Creek

Looks like I'm the first one down since the last two storms.

Looking good in the canyon bottom.

Kirk's Cabin

Arches and arches all over.

A ghostly All American Man

Getting frosty

Some of the many ruins

Jokes on me! Bear boxes in the camps.

Signs of spring

Angel Arch Canyon

The Molar and Angel Arch.

Spring Creek

With the extra time at the start with the snow, all the things to see, and the route finding in the marshes I decided to end my journey at Angel Arch. The last portion of the canyon will have to be for another day.
The trail went through some grassy areas which you will love gaiters for. I spent way too much time tying shoelaces before I put them on.

The 4 faces. These were my favorites!

Imagine having this view every day. Hats off to the builder.

My last morning.

A stop at the Big Ruins overlook.

Time to head back up. I ran into the first people since I had left, right before I started up. No one had made it to the trailhead with their vehicles.

The last section still covered with snow, but now the path had been broken.

The road, thawing and muddy. One of the other hikers vehicles by the side. Glad I parked further back now because it was on to Moab for a beer now.

cmgz
03-14-2015, 09:23 AM
Sorry, my computer locked me out halfway though so the pictures came out as attachments.