PDA

View Full Version : The Less is More Challenge

Slot Machine
01-01-2015, 10:33 AM
My family and I moved last week. We downsized from 3,600 to 1,100 square feet. We've done this by choice, not because of any outside circumstance. We think we will be happier in the long run with less space and less stuff.

During this process we've had to part with about two-thirds of our possessions. It sounds awful, but really, it has been awesome. I estimate that we've parted with at least 8,000 lbs of yard sale worthy possessions. And we're not hoarders. We're just average folks that have been slowly filling a big-ish house.

Why do you care? Because I have a challenge for you; a challenge that might free up some space in your house, and perhaps change how you look at your belongings.

I challenge you to get rid of one thing today, two things tomorrow, three things the next day, and so on. Donate, toss, sell, burn... whatever gets rid of the items is fine. I challenge you to post the stuff you get rid of for the entertainment of everyone. The items must be things that you don't consider to be disposable.

I'll go first.

DAY 1: A philodendron in a ceramic pot. It's a plant that I've owned for 10 years.

Rob L
01-01-2015, 10:52 AM
That's going to be a hard challenge for me to contemplate, because I am a hoarder, but only of ridiculous stuff that I'll never use. But someone else might.

Rob

p.s. Where's your philodendron? I could do with one of those or I know someone who might. I could collect it from your compost heap tomorrow, and does it come with the ceramic pot? :haha:

Absolute Gravity
01-01-2015, 06:05 PM
Day 1: A set of 4 3-jaw pullers I've had for years. Used one of the pullers once and it broke, and have never used any of the others. Won't miss them a bit.

We actually got rid of a whole bag of stuff today, but I really have no excuse for keeping those garbage pullers around as long as I did.

I have a really nice, hardly used Deuter Kid Comfort II I'm going to list for sell tomorrow. Forgot I even had it so I won't miss it either.

Simple
01-01-2015, 06:20 PM
Today I threw out a red Colman cooler that I have always hated. The lid never stayed on. I'm so happy I never have to use it again.

Iceaxe
01-01-2015, 07:08 PM
I challenge you to get rid of one thing today, two things tomorrow, three things the next day, and so on.

That's just crazy talk....

Slot Machine
01-02-2015, 06:43 AM
That's going to be a hard challenge for me to contemplate, because I am a hoarder, but only of ridiculous stuff that I'll never use. But someone else might.

Rob

We need a real hoarder to post on this thread. I feel like I'm hosting an AA meeting without an honest-to-goodness alcoholic. Rob L, will you be our alcoholic, please?

That's just crazy talk....

I do hope that you play along Iceaxe. I imagine your yard sale items to be more interesting than most.

(I'm not suggesting you get rid of any medieval weapons or Bud Light memorabilia. Regret is such a horrible feeling... :haha:)

____

Day 2: Two baseball caps that I've never worn. Donated. (My Climb-Utah cap is my daily driver, I'm keeping that one)

Sombeech
01-02-2015, 09:19 AM
I like the concept, my first challenge would be commitment to the challenge. I'd have to write something down for each day to try and get rid of, and I hate making journals or calendars. That would be my first challenge, but this is a great idea.

I've got a bamboo ceramic plant container with a dead bamboo plant just sitting out in my garage, I bought it when that kind of thing was a cool office decor like 15 years ago ha ha. I'll trash that and get back with ya.

Slot Machine
01-02-2015, 09:39 AM
I like the concept, my first challenge would be commitment to the challenge. I'd have to write something down for each day to try and get rid of, and I hate making journals or calendars. That would be my first challenge, but this is a great idea.

The commitment is tough. But once you get started, it is tough to stop. The sense of relief is greater than we imagined. I also hate journals and calendars. Perhaps think of this as a "group support activity".

I first heard of this challenge a few weeks ago. It said to go an entire month. 1+2+3....+30+31= 496 items if you complete the month of January. But we had so much stuff that following the schedule was silly. We just pitched/donated/sold 2,000 things as fast as we could.

My wife Steph, is Simple. Together we'll try to part with 992 more items by the end of this month.

Tony Absolute Gravity, is buried in stuff, so he seems happy to join. Shoot, he might make it to the end of February! (1,770 items)

DiscGo
01-02-2015, 01:02 PM
I am about as far away from being a hoarder as you can get, but getting rid of stuff for the sake of getting rid of stuff seems foolish to me. If you don't need something, and you never will then, sure, get rid of it. An exponential curve of going out of your way to waste something every day seems counter productive to me. Everyone is different, and this may speak to you on some level for you what you have going on in your life right now and I get that.

Personally, I don't believe that happiness comes from focusing on material objects. In my opinion, the focus here is still on material objects and although each of our lives may benefit from some additional decluttering, I think we'd better off remembering the old adage of "waste not, want not".

My belief is that most of us would do better to spend more effort away from our phones and more effort to spend time with our loved ones. So I am going to adapt your challenge from disposing of things, to disposing of wasted minutes. My commitment is to follow the same scale this month toward spending time with my kids, instead of throwing things away.

Slot Machine
01-02-2015, 02:24 PM
Great post DiscGo.

I am about as far away from being a hoarder as you can get, but getting rid of stuff for the sake of getting rid of stuff seems foolish to me.

It's not foolish until my wife and I start throwing away things that we actually need. I'm pretty sure (based on the past three weeks) that we can get rid of stuff for one more month. It would blow your mind how much stuff we fit into our house, and it was only 50% full.

If you don't need something, and you never will then, sure, get rid of it. An exponential curve of going out of your way to waste something every day seems counter productive to me.

I disagree. It seems like a great way to get people started throwing junk away. It is gut wrenching at first. I think the acclimation process is necessary for a lot of folks.

And it is only counter-productive when they start throwing things away that they actually need.

In my opinion, the focus here is still on material objects and although each of our lives may benefit from some additional decluttering, I think we'd better off remembering the old adage of "waste not, want not".

I think "waste not, want not" is an outdated notion. In the pre-depression area, wasting stuff could mean the difference between life and death. Today you can get anything you need, most things for next to free, in minutes. Wasting time wasting not is rarely worth it in 2015. Many times the space in people's homes (or storage units) is literally worth more than the items themselves.

For me, there is an emotional weight to owning a LOT of things. It is a stress that I'm very happy to get away from. Being free from that stuff gives me options and leverage. Once we sell our house, I'll NEVER own another one (another angry rant for another day).

For other people, having lots of stuff is very comforting. To each his own.:gents:

My belief is that most of us would do better to spend more effort away from our phones and more effort to spend time with our loved ones. So I am going to adapt your challenge from disposing of things, to disposing of wasted minutes. My commitment is to follow the same scale this month toward spending time with my kids, instead of throwing things away.

^awesome^ :2thumbs:

accadacca
01-02-2015, 03:35 PM
:popcorn:

Iceaxe
01-02-2015, 03:50 PM
This thread reminds me of the guy that found Jesus and now he can't figure out why everyone else isn't hopping on the bandwagon.... or the alcoholic that went to his first AA meeting and now thinks everyone should stop drinking......

HHHhhhhmmmmmm..... now I'm suddenly thirsty for a beer.....

:beer:

jman
01-02-2015, 04:22 PM
This thread reminds me of the guy that found Jesus and now he can't figure out why everyone else isn't hopping on the bandwagon.... or the alcoholic that went to his first AA meeting and now thinks everyone should stop drinking......

HHHhhhhmmmmmm..... now I'm suddenly thirsty for a beer.....

:beer:

You're right - people should find Jesus and should stop drinking ;) ;)

Slot Machine
01-02-2015, 04:26 PM

Bah, says I. You are totally going to read about the junk I throw away every day. You wouldn't listen to the other folks for two seconds. :haha:

Simple
01-02-2015, 04:26 PM
The idea is based on creating time. I am sick of cleaning out a garage when I could be playing with my kids. I am sick of cleaning four bathrooms instead of teaching my son his ABC's. The challenge is a call to simplification. Free yourself from stuff that you don't need or use so you can spend time doing what you love; playing with your kids, hiking, canyoneering, camping, or just having a glass of wine and a movie with your special someone. Does our small family need 3600 square feet? No. It is an endless parade of time lost fixing, upgrading, maintaining, and cleaning. We only have so much time, how will we spend it? I prefer to spend my time with the ones I love, so if that means throwing out the stuff in the way, sign me up! When I'm dying, I'm not going to wish I hadn't thrown out that red cooler.

Day 2: I donated a hoodie and threw away an old harmonica.

oldno7
01-02-2015, 05:38 PM
Ohh--sorry, misleading title.
I thought it was an obama sales pitch again.....:haha:

rockgremlin
01-02-2015, 06:03 PM

Sometimes I agree with iceaxe...

...now is one of those times.

So did Christmas this year include a trip to the landfill?

Iceaxe
01-02-2015, 06:13 PM
The idea is based on creating time.

Now I see the flaw in this strategy so far as I'm concerned.... when I want more time I just buy it by hiring someone to clean my house, mow my lawn, do my yard work or fix the shit that is broken.

If I really wanted more time and a simple life the first things to go would be my wife and kids... but that kind of defeats the purpose so I think I'll keep them.

Slot Machine
01-03-2015, 07:23 AM
Disclaimer to those with severe cases of cognitive dissonance:

We aren't saying you NEED Jesus, AA, or The Less is More Challenge. We are simply sharing an idea that might prove beneficial to some, and doing it in a fun way.

So did Christmas this year include a trip to the landfill?

Landfill trips are for people that don't know about church dumpsters. :bandit:

Over the past 5 weeks we have filled 10 of the large curbside trash cans. I estimate that they weigh 300 pounds a can on average. We've sold or given away anything that is big enough for a landfill run. The 'FREE' section on KSL is an awesome way to get rid of stuff.

Now I see the flaw in this strategy so far as I'm concerned.... when I want more time I just buy it by hiring someone to clean my house, mow my lawn, do my yard work or fix the shit that is broken.

If you make a lot of money (per hour) this is a pretty good argument. But you still must go to work to earn the money to buy the time you speak of.

I've hired lawn guys and yard guys and handymen. Often times they are more of a pain in the ass than they are worth. I'd need a personal assistant to manage those guys if I was completely "hands off".

The guys that are REALLY expensive are roofers, brickmasons, tile guys, contractors and plumbers. Ever replaced a roof? Or chimney? Kitchen or bathroom? I have, and the time and money that goes into those events are significant for most folk. We've wasted THOUSANDS of hours on those things.

Not worth it to us. YMMV.

Day 3: Two 11x18 padded envelopes and one unused roll of Fiber Tape. (trash)

kiwi_outdoors
01-03-2015, 08:35 AM
did tis when we moved from a 2500 sq ft house to a 1600 sq ft house with no lawn, its nice to have less stuff.. Extra tools got donated to a local tool lending library.

Slot Machine
01-03-2015, 09:03 AM
Extra tools got donated to a local tool lending library.

Great idea! I still have about 100-200 tools that are hardly worth selling (they are worth 5 bucks each, at best).

qedcook
01-03-2015, 09:28 AM
Ohh--sorry, misleading title.
I thought it was an obama sales pitch again.....:haha:

Is this a joke on median income, or what?

Slot Machine
01-03-2015, 09:41 AM
Is this a joke on median income, or what?

Absolute Gravity
01-03-2015, 12:24 PM
Day 2: One record player from the early 80's.
One stack of around 30 vinyl records. A lot of Beach Boys, christmas music, and christmas music sung by the Beach Boys. Hell's playlist really.

Day 3: Three child car seats

Simple
01-03-2015, 12:45 PM
Day three: threw away decorative white board, fridge magnet to hold the markers, white board markers.

jfeiro
01-04-2015, 06:52 AM
7741077410 A couple of years ago my wife and I decided to do the same thing. Last year we had a yard sale and got rid of tons of stuff that we never used or didn't need, then we sold our house and are building a 20'x40' cabin with loft and once it's done this year it will be paid for as we are paying as we build.

Slot Machine
01-04-2015, 07:07 AM
A couple of years ago my wife and I decided to do the same thing. Last year we had a yard sale and got rid of tons of stuff that we never used or didn't need, then we sold our house and are building a 20'x40' cabin with loft and once it's done this year it will be paid for as we are paying as we build.

That is really cool @jfeiro (http://www.bogley.com/forum/member.php?u=64). We would love to see it when it is finished. What spurred the change in lifestyle?

Is your life better since you've downsized? Are you happier? Any regrets?

Day 4:
One Ethan Allen 8 x 10 wool rug, worn out. (Trash)
One 7' Couch (Sold)
Weber Grill (Sold)
Spare Propane Tank (Sold)

jfeiro
01-04-2015, 07:33 AM
Thanks Slot machine, a lot of things went in to the decision to simplify and downsize but it really just came down to looking at stuff laying around the house/garage that we never used but kept because there might be a need for it one day. Our house was just your average 1800 sq. Ft. Tri-level house 3 bedroom 2 bath that with just the 2 of us seemed like a waste. When we actually sat down and looked at it we only really used 2 rooms but we had to heat/cool the entire house.

I guess I could ramble on but it just came down to realizing that bigger isn't always better just like more things aren't always better. Never was really interested in keeping up with the Jones's. We finally just decided what was mattered to us wasn't bigger and more. We spend most of our time outdoors and since we decluttered we didn't need all the extra "storage" rooms.

Are we happy, absolutely. Is our life better, not sure what you mean by that but I would have to say yes. As for the cabin we our building ourselves with no prior experience so it is nerve wracking and some days if you saw us working together you'd swear we hated each other and headed for divorce but at the end of the day we can stand back and see what we've accomplished, together, at that moment it's all worth it.

If you ever are headed to the basin we're at mm 79 on hwy 40 north side. If you do any geocaching I have placed a geocache on our property, not sure how to link it here on my phone but UT's called hwy 40 cedar rats I believe. 2 miles west of starvation res.

rockgremlin
01-04-2015, 11:08 AM
I like that you are listing the items you're getting rid of in your sig. I was gonna suggest that.

Simple
01-04-2015, 01:16 PM
Day four: threw away random red funnel, blue funnel, black trash can, red trash can.

Slot Machine
01-05-2015, 05:52 AM
Day 5:
One calendar
Two 16"x16" framed art from Target
One bbq spatula
One bbq fork

Iceaxe
01-05-2015, 09:01 AM
and are building a 20'x40' cabin

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/whid.gif

Oh man.... no way I could play this game. My garage is twice the size of your house. Where are you supposed to build the race cars at without a nice well equipped garage?

Great idea! I still have about 100-200 tools that are hardly worth selling (they are worth 5 bucks each, at best).

And giving away tools?!? that's complete chaos....

rockgremlin
01-05-2015, 09:12 AM
You know where this is headed, right? You'll spend the next 11 months pissing off your neighbors by telling them how great this new lifestyle is, and then the rest of your life borrowing from them.

double moo
01-05-2015, 09:05 PM
My brother decluttered most of his garage a few years back by giving away all his large tools (wheelbarrow, ladders, etc...) to the neighbors that always borrowed them. Now when he needs them he goes and asks to borrow the tool, no one would dare tell him no as he gave it to them originally... basically they store it for free and he has lifetime use. And he was able to increase his shop size due to the extra room!

JONBOYLEMON
01-05-2015, 09:29 PM
Can everyone who is doing this PM me their address. If enough people do this I can fill in the empty spots in my garage in a week or so.

If only a few people are doing this locally I might only be able to come collect everything once a week.....

Thanks!

Slot Machine
01-06-2015, 03:53 AM
And giving away tools?!? that's complete chaos....

The stuff I'd give away are things that I've only used once or twice and won't sell on KSL classifieds. Long bar clamps. Rivet gun. Breaker bar. Palm nailer. I have dozens of tools like these that just take up space.

My brother decluttered most of his garage a few years back by giving away all his large tools (wheelbarrow, ladders, etc...) to the neighbors that always borrowed them. Now when he needs them he goes and asks to borrow the tool, no one would dare tell him no as he gave it to them originally... basically they store it for free and he has lifetime use. And he was able to increase his shop size due to the extra room!

That's the great thing about selling my Bosch table saw to a friend. He stores it, I have the cash from it, plus I can use it anytime.

Day 6:
Two sawhorses (gave away)
Two general purpose ropes (trash)
One framed picture that I took in Hawaii (trash)
One children's easel (gave away)

Simple
01-06-2015, 09:17 AM
Day 6: donate one purse, two shirts, 3 pairs of high heels

Simple
01-06-2015, 09:27 AM
Day 7: give to friend baby wipe warmer, baby travel bather, baby development gym, 2 hanging toys, 2 cube toys.

Sombeech
01-06-2015, 09:49 AM
Well goll durn it, I still haven't thrown away that old bamboo planter

Slot Machine
01-06-2015, 07:22 PM
Day 7:

One DeWalt Sander Case (trash)
One Home Depot Bucket (trash)
One pair of shoes (trash)
Two framed pieces of art (trash)
Another framed photo from Hawaii (trash)

One Japanese Nambu pistol from WWII that I inherited from my grandfather. My grandfather was a Colonel in the Army and took the pistol after the Battle of Okinawa in 1945.

Today, I sold it to a really cool guy that knew much about its history and appreciated it much more than the average collector.

We spoke for a while before the purchase. He told me a story about when he and his half-Japanese son returned a Samurai sword to its owner after they found his address written underneath the wrapping on the handle. When they found the man at his home on a remote island he was 80 years old and wept when the sword was returned.

I probably sold it to him for a fraction less than I could have gotten from another buyer. However, that was a special item to me, so it was important to feel good about its destiny. The new owner plans to leave the gun to his son after he passes away.

rockgremlin
01-06-2015, 07:32 PM
You sold your grandfather's family heirloom? You crazy. That's not just a gun, that's a piece of family history.

reverse_dyno
01-06-2015, 07:40 PM
If you are into the Simplicity Movement, you should read Walden by Thoreau. All the new books on Simplicity are just copies of Walden. Thoreau even provides an itemized household budget. Food was really cheap back in 1854. Thoreau was also a libertarian and refused to pay taxes. That should endear him to Bogley users.

Slot Machine
01-06-2015, 07:49 PM
You sold your grandfather's family heirloom? You crazy. That's not just a gun, that's a piece of family history.

I feel relief for myself and happiness for the new owner. He actually appreciates that pistol.

I'm not speaking for you RG, but only myself- I've been raised to be precious with so many things. Things that I don't use, want, or appreciate. I hate storing them. I hate fretting over their condition. An now that I have two sons, I dread dividing up my 'heirlooms' between them. That isn't the yardstick I want my love to be measured by. I plan to create some kick-ass memories that they will remember forever. Adventures will be my heirlooms.

YMMV.

Slot Machine
01-06-2015, 08:03 PM
If you are into the Simplicity Movement, you should read Walden by Thoreau. All the new books on Simplicity are just copies of Walden. Thoreau even provides an itemized household budget. Food was really cheap back in 1854. Thoreau was also a libertarian and refused to pay taxes. That should endear him to Bogley users.

I'm not into any movement. I did borrow the 1,2,3,4... idea from a minimalist website, admittedly. However, the guys on that website don't know how to canyoneer, so I'm not sure what the hell they do with their free time. They talk about volunteering and then I get distracted and start looking for secret canyons on Google Earth.

We are just creating a life that works better for us. A life centered around adventure. The house was the biggest thing in the way. A huge time and money suck. Plus the stress ruins your mind after a decade or five.

I'll check out the book. Perhaps there is an idea our two we could add to our strategy. Thanks for the recommendation.

rockgremlin
01-07-2015, 08:09 AM
That isn't the yardstick I want my love to be measured by.

Not saying your love should be metered in heirlooms, but the stories that they tell about your history and your family are pretty neat. I'm a tactile person, so when stories can be accompanied by something I can get my hands on it makes it more interesting and endearing.

Not attacking, it's just a personal perspective. My grandfather passed a priceless coin collection on to me, which I have since augmented and plan on passing along to my boys. If they turned around and offloaded it because they were sick of just having it in their ownership it would hurt a little bit.

rockgremlin
01-07-2015, 08:17 AM
Speaking of....got any coins you wanna get rid of? :haha:

Sandstone Addiction
01-07-2015, 08:51 AM
I can see it now. Family reunion a few years down the road...

[Slot Machine's cousin] Say Bob, I've been telling my kids about the story of grandpa and the Nambu pistol he brought back from Japan during WWII...

[Slot Machine, getting nervous] Oh yea?

[Slot Machine's cousin] Yea...they loved the story and want to see it. I still remember grandpa showing it too us as kids and I was green with envy when grandpa gave it to your dad, but I'm OK with it.

[Slot Machine] Well, I sold it a while back to a total stranger because it was taking up too much space....

While I personally haven't sold any family heirlooms, I have been on the hurt and betrayed side at least once.

The one that hurt the most was after my father died, my brother was doing the same thing you are doing...only for my mom. The three kids all divided up dads stuff and marked it to not sell or dispose of. I just so happens that 3 of dad's treasures were trophy buck mounts ( one 33" 5X5, one 35" 5X5 and one cactus buck 30" 9X13--all very heavy horn) that he'd shot back in the 40's up Diamond Fork. I loved to hear the stories of the good old days.

I never dreamed that my brother would ever sell them. After all, he's more of a hunter than me... So, as a result, I neglected to mark them to not sell. Sure enough, he sold them to a stranger for $50 each. Obviously, they meant more to me than him. I've been kicking myself in the butt ever since.

I like how you are dejunking...I'm doing the same myself, although not as drastic... But please be careful what you get rid of--there may be others involved that you didn't consider.

Slot Machine
01-07-2015, 12:26 PM
Not saying your love should be metered in heirlooms, but the stories that they tell about your history and your family are pretty neat. I'm a tactile person, so when stories can be accompanied by something I can get my hands on it makes it more interesting and endearing.

I get that. I used to feel that way.

Not attacking, it's just a personal perspective. My grandfather passed a priceless coin collection on to me, which I have since augmented and plan on passing along to my boys. If they turned around and offloaded it because they were sick of just having it in their ownership it would hurt a little bit.

The 'hurt a little bit' is the element I'm removing from my life. It's just stuff. Having any angst over it seems silly to me.

I'm selling the last of my coin collection on eBay this week. I'll post those items after they are gone.

I've already sold 100 coins, in one auction, that were my grandfathers. Late 19th century silver dollars. Not worth much more than the safety deposit box they were in. I was relieved when they were gone.

Then my dad gave me three more silver coins... *sigh*. I sold them two weeks ago for $12.

I parted with a bunch of stuff today, so I'll post the next couple of day's lists.

Day 8:
High School Class ring (sold)
Old wedding band (sold)
Silver ring (sold)
Hoodie (donated)
4 shirts

Day 9:
Snowblower (sold)
4 more framed art (donated)
Coping saw (trash)
Coping saw blades (trash)
One unused can of plasti-dip (trash)
1 black dress shirt

Kuya
01-07-2015, 02:52 PM
A life centered around adventure.

I have been thinking a lot lately about this, and wondering how fulfilling an adventure filled life really is. Is it adventure that helps life to feel full? or something else? Often times I have been on an adventure only to long for more. The more I adventure, the more I want, thus the less full I feel.

tmartenst
01-07-2015, 03:39 PM
It's been a while since I've been on here...just lazy or busy with other stuff really. I like the idea of de-cluttering and have been doing the same. I am not disciplined enough to keep track of how many items per day but I'll just know I have to get rid of multiple items per day. My wife is on board too. We have a toddler and she just got all kinds of junk for Christmas and the clutter is getting bad. We started by wanting to get rid of her old stuff but we need to do it for ours too.

-Probably 50 different toys, stuffed animals, nicknacks - (in trash)
-A few other toys, feeding chair, baby carrier in pile to donate or sell
-Selling 2 patagonia shirts and 8 pairs of jeans for my wife (on eBay now)
-A few Christmas decorations in the trash instead of back in the box for next year
-Pot for potted plant we've never owned a plant, I have no idea where it came from - (in trash)
-Cheap digital game/toy I got for Christmas - (never opened, gave to coworker with boys)
-Christmas tree - (on curb!)

Slot Machine
01-07-2015, 03:58 PM
I have been thinking a lot lately about this, and wondering how fulfilling an adventure filled life really is. Is it adventure that helps life to feel full? or something else? Often times I have been on an adventure only to long for more. The more I adventure, the more I want, thus the less full I feel.

You sure look satisfied in the 50,000 photos I've seen of you doing awesome stuff. After talking to you for prehaps 30 seconds, its pretty obvious that adventure is your thing. Like a fish saying he likes water.

By less full do you mean hungry? Or unfulfilled?

rockgremlin
01-07-2015, 05:49 PM
Soooooo...your high school ring and wedding band were taking up too much space in your life?

Slot Machine
01-07-2015, 06:18 PM
It's been a while since I've been on here...just lazy or busy with other stuff really. I like the idea of de-cluttering and have been doing the same. I am not disciplined enough to keep track of how many items per day but I'll just know I have to get rid of multiple items per day. My wife is on board too. We have a toddler and she just got all kinds of junk for Christmas and the clutter is getting bad. We started by wanting to get rid of her old stuff but we need to do it for ours too.

-Probably 50 different toys, stuffed animals, nicknacks - (in trash)
-A few other toys, feeding chair, baby carrier in pile to donate or sell
-Selling 2 patagonia shirts and 8 pairs of jeans for my wife (on eBay now)
-A few Christmas decorations in the trash instead of back in the box for next year
-Pot for potted plant we've never owned a plant, I have no idea where it came from - (in trash)
-Cheap digital game/toy I got for Christmas - (never opened, gave to coworker with boys)
-Christmas tree - (on curb!)

Awesome! :2thumbs:

I've thrown out at least 100 toys in the past month. My older son is much better behaved now. Lack of overstimulation, perhaps?

Slot Machine
01-07-2015, 06:23 PM
Soooooo...your high school ring and wedding band were taking up too much space in your life?

Taking space in my mind, every time I thought of them. Taking time in my life, every time I touched them. Gone forever. Relief.

The wedding band was from my first marriage, FWIW. It made me angry every time I saw it. Why would anyone want to keep something like that?

Slot Machine
01-07-2015, 06:35 PM
@Sandsone Addiction

I can see it now. Family reunion a few years down the road...

[Slot Machine's cousin] Say Bob, I've been telling my kids about the story of grandpa and the Nambu pistol he brought back from Japan during WWII...

[Slot Machine, getting nervous] Oh yea?

[Slot Machine's cousin] Yea...they loved the story and want to see it. I still remember grandpa showing it too us as kids and I was green with envy when grandpa gave it to your dad, but I'm OK with it.

[Slot Machine] Well, I sold it a while back to a total stranger because it was taking up too much space....

Space is not that valuable, but time is. Every time I held that gun, I thought, why? Every time I paid for the safety deposit box it was in, I thought, why? I will never waste another moment fretting over that thing. Awesome.

And I will never care what anyone in my family thinks about my actions. Getting nervous about an heirloom? Not possible. (no disrespect, you seem like a great guy Dave C)

I personally haven't sold any family heirlooms, I have been on the hurt and betrayed side at least once.

The one that hurt the most was after my father died, my brother was doing the same thing you are doing...only for my mom. The three kids all divided up dads stuff and marked it to not sell or dispose of. I just so happens that 3 of dad's treasures were trophy buck mounts ( one 33" 5X5, one 35" 5X5 and one cactus buck 30" 9X13--all very heavy horn) that he'd shot back in the 40's up Diamond Fork. I loved to hear the stories of the good old days.

I never dreamed that my brother would ever sell them. After all, he's more of a hunter than me... So, as a result, I neglected to mark them to not sell. Sure enough, he sold them to a stranger for $50 each. Obviously, they meant more to me than him. I've been kicking myself in the butt ever since.

I like how you are dejunking...I'm doing the same myself, although not as drastic... But please be careful what you get rid of--there may be others involved that you didn't consider.

I've sold a couple of things that my brother in law has always wanted. He has said to me, "please let me have a chance to buy blah blah blah before you sell it, if ever you do."

Then I offer, and he says yes or no. Most often times he says no, in the end.

I'm glad you are kicking yourself in the butt and not your brother. That is better than what most folks do.

But perhaps my main point is, if you look at things in a different way, it doesn't sting so bad. Then there wouldn't be angst over stuff.

Absolute Gravity
01-07-2015, 08:25 PM
Day 4:
fake christmas tree we haven’t used for two years now
ikea book shelf
couple sets of measuring cups
various measuring spoons

Day 5:
4 old textbooks
lamp

Day 6:

3 shirts
2 pairs of shoes
1 power wheels battery
1 bucket of drywall mud
lots of old cans of wall paint.
Bucket of random stuff we've found in the desert, ghost towns, and old mines.

Gathering day 7 stuff now... I think I could fill up the rest of the month in the next 24 hours if it wouldn't throw the wife into a full blown panic freak out.

Simple
01-08-2015, 07:56 AM
Day eight: donated dress, two pairs of shoes, closet shoe organizer, wireless guitar system, threw away response clicker (from college), extra sowing kit, random box of hook-n-eyes.

Kuya
01-08-2015, 12:22 PM
You sure look satisfied in the 50,000 photos I've seen of you doing awesome stuff. After talking to you for prehaps 30 seconds, its pretty obvious that adventure is your thing. Like a fish saying he likes water.

By less full do you mean hungry? Or unfulfilled?

I think adventure alone can't provide true fullfillment in life. But I think you are doing it right. Adventure coupled with kids/family/friends etc, brings great purpose! The pursuit of adventure alone? I'm finding it not as fulfilling as I once thought.

With that being said, my dream would be to upgrade to a tiny house and an adventure van. I think life is all about making memories with those you love and helping better the surroundings your are in. I envy your efforts to rid your life of "wastefull" things.

Slot Machine
01-08-2015, 01:26 PM
I think adventure alone can't provide true fullfillment in life. But I think you are doing it right. Adventure coupled with kids/family/friends etc, brings great purpose! The pursuit of adventure alone? I'm finding it not as fulfilling as I once thought.

With that being said, my dream would be to upgrade to a tiny house and an adventure van. I think life is all about making memories with those you love and helping better the surroundings your are in. I envy your efforts to rid your life of "wastefull" things.

Great post Blake. True fulfillment is an illusive thing. It seems like my family has taken a huge step in the right direction this week. We shall see.

Tiny house and adventure van... What a great combo! Worthy goals that seem to fit you. Reminds me of a friend's setup. :cool2:

Kuya
01-08-2015, 02:32 PM
Tiny house and adventure van... What a great combo! Worthy goals that seem to fit you. Reminds me of a friend's setup. :cool2:

It may never happen. haha! Wife doesn't seem to have the same vision as me. BUT it is still fun to dream about. in the meanwhile, I have a lot of de-junking to do myself. Thanks for the inspiration.

Slot Machine
01-10-2015, 07:13 AM
Day 10:

A dresser with mirror (gave away)
Changing table (sold)
Framed art (gave away)
Christmas tree, too big for our new place (gave away)
Two very large rubbermaid containers (gave away)
39x47 mirror (gave away)
Wrecking bar (trash)
Box of 5000 staples (trash)
One huge roll of craft paper (trash)

Day 11:

Wallpaper stripping tools (trash)
Copper pipe cutter (trash)
5 copper pipe fittings (trash)
Two rolls of solder (trash)
Can of flux (trash)
Reaming tool (trash)

Rob L
01-10-2015, 08:16 AM
Two rolls of solder (trash)
Can of flux (trash)...

(my snip above)

Sometimes you may be better off giving items like these away (or sell on auction websites) especially if they are old, because modern solder & fluxes are not a patch on the newer stuff. A proper plumber might love some proper stuff.

Just a thought.

Rob

Slot Machine
01-10-2015, 09:13 AM
(my snip above)

Sometimes you may be better off giving items like these away (or sell on auction websites) especially if they are old, because modern solder & fluxes are not a patch on the newer stuff. A proper plumber might love some proper stuff.

Just a thought.

Rob

Rob L, you are right, you are a hoarder. :haha:

At a certain point, you have to say f**k it. These little tough to sell semi-worthless items are NOT worth the time it takes to move them to an appreciative new owner. I have a house to sell. I have a life to live. I have Bogley posts to post! :lol8:

Also, you lose sooooo much momentum decluttering when you stop to contemplate little stuff. Getting rid of 2,500 things is not a task for the hesitant.

Keep. Toss. Donate. Sell. You have 5 seconds to decide and one day to execute. Go, go, GO!:crackit:

Slot Machine
01-10-2015, 09:28 AM
COMPETITIVE GIVING ON KSL

Here is a helpful tip to those that plan to ever give away something on the KSL Classifieds for FREE.

Have you ever tried to give something away on KSL? I have, many times, and it is a pain in the neck. People are slow to pick things up. About 50% of the time they don't even show up. Then you are forced to re-list the item and try again.

A huge headache, right? WELL NOT ANYMORE!!

What I've done is made this process into a competitive event. I post the item for free with my address and state, "DO NOT CALL ME, DO NOT TEXT ME, JUST DRIVE OVER AND GET IT! I WILL REMOVE THE AD FROM KSL AS SOON AS THE FIRST PERSON SHOWS UP."

I've given away about 20 things with this method, and they are ALWAYS gone in less than an hour (average of about 35 minutes). The first contestant usually skids sideways into my driveway, sprints up the front steps and rejoices that they have beat the other people to my house! Then they are 10 times as excited to pick the item up, BECAUSE THEY BEAT OTHER FOLKS TO IT. THEY FEEL LIKE THEY WON SOMETHING! WOOHOO!

What about the runners up? Well, their consolation prize is an exciting ride back through suburbia! Surprisingly, nobody has gotten mad about taking 2nd or 3rd place, because they realize it was part of the gamble of driving over to pick up the item in the first place. Pretty much everyone wins.

Sandstone Addiction
01-10-2015, 09:35 AM
COMPETITIVE GIVING ON KSL

Here is a helpful tip to those that plan to ever give away something on the KSL Classifieds for FREE.

Have you ever tried to give something away on KSL? I have, many times, and it is a pain in the neck. People are slow to pick things up. About 50% of the time they don't even show up. Then you are forced to re-list the item and try again.

A huge headache, right? WELL NOT ANYMORE!!

What I've done is made this process into a competitive event. I post the item for free with my address and state, "DO NOT CALL ME, DO NOT TEXT ME, JUST DRIVE OVER AND GET IT! I WILL REMOVE THE AD FROM KSL AS SOON AS THE FIRST PERSON SHOWS UP."

I've given away about 20 things with this method, and they are ALWAYS gone in less than an hour (average of about 35 minutes). The person usually skids sideways into the driveway, sprints up the front steps and rejoices that they have beat the other people to my house! Then they are 10 times as excited to pick the item up, BECAUSE THEY BEAT OTHER FOLKS TO IT. THEY FEEL LIKE THEY WON IT! WOOHOO!

What about the runners up? Well, their consolation prize is an exciting ride back through suburbia! Surprisingly, nobody has gotten mad about taking 2nd or 3rd place, because they realize it was part of the gamble of driving over to pick up the item in the first place. Pretty much everyone wins.

That's a great idea!

I have some stuff that I'd like to give away, but I always hesitate because it's not worth my time to wait around all day and try to keep up with the texts and phone calls that I can't keep straight...

Rob L
01-10-2015, 01:26 PM
Rob L, you are right, you are a hoarder. :haha: ..etc...

(My snip above)
You are also right, I am a hoarder, and I appreciate the compliment! :2thumbs:

But only of stuff that I KNOW is of value to me (or you, or someone I know, or someone that you might know).

That little tub of plumber's flux...possibly 50 cents in cash value 65 years ago; it's still usable today. I realise I'm being unfair, because I know that the items I quoted could be of engineering value, rather than of monetary value

But perhaps it was a tin of modern stuff of no chemical value other than to the modern H&S culture; we won't know.

How much space did it take up? As against your desire to prove to the wider community here that you're being a wise citizen in disposing of stuff?

One man's trash is another man's treasure, and all that :wink:.

I hope you'll forgive me for my rant, perhaps. But may I please suggest that you try to give something like that away to someone in the trade, before chucking it in the bin, for all the space it takes up in your workshop.

Rob

Scott P
01-10-2015, 01:53 PM
I grew up in house with about the same sized small (by US standards) square footage and we had seven people. Strangley, it's more full (of junk) now than when there were seven of us living in it. Three people live in it now (my parents and brother).

Anyway, I have a big house for four of us (more than 2600 SF). It's bigger than we need, but at the time there weren't many houses on the market (we live in a small town) and all the smaller ones were not in good condition. At first I didn't like having that big of a house, but we have been able to house people who needed it (including the LDS missionaries and someone who was living with seven siblings, plus two parents in a tiny place). We do have a lot of camping and climbing gear that takes up a fair amount of space, but I'd still get a smaller house next time around.

If anyone wants a fridge or chair, they can come pick one up, but as mentioned, I live out in the middle of nowhere. :wink:

PS, some states let you deduct donated items (in good condition) from your taxes. Colorado does, but if it's over $500 you need some sort of official appraisal (though I'm not sure how to do this). Photographs of the stuff and notes from wherever you donated to aren

Slot Machine
01-10-2015, 02:32 PM
But perhaps it was a tin of modern stuff of no chemical value other than to the modern H&S culture; we won't know.

How much space did it take up? As against your desire to prove to the wider community here that you're being a wise citizen in disposing of stuff?

One man's trash is another man's treasure, and all that :wink:.

I hope you'll forgive me for my rant, perhaps. But may I please suggest that you try to give something like that away to someone in the trade, before chucking it in the bin, for all the space it takes up in your workshop.

Rob

The way I know if something is 'another man's treasure' is if I post it online, for free, and somebody will drive over and get it. Otherwise it is trash. A half-empty jar of flux is clearly trash. (It was like 4 years old from Home Depot, if that makes you feel better)

Also, I feel you are asking the wrong question. "How much space", isn't what matters. How much time it that item robbed from me is what matters.

Getting rid of 2,500 things over the past month has freed so much space on my mental radar. 2,500 things I'll never have to worry about. 2,500 things I'll never have to pick up, move or sort. 2,500 things I'll never even THINK about. So far, I miss none of it.

Rob L
01-10-2015, 02:41 PM
Fair enough, and of course they're your posessions to dispose of as you wish.

I was just trying to suggest an alternative that might have value to others.

No harm intended.

Rob

Slot Machine
01-10-2015, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE=Scott P;565796]I grew up in house with about the same sized small (by US standards) square footage and we had seven people. Strangley, it's more full (of junk) now than when there were seven of us living in it. Three people live in it now (my parents and brother).

Anyway, I have a big house for four of us (more than 2600 SF). It's bigger than we need, but at the time there weren't many houses on the market (we live in a small town) and all the smaller ones were not in good condition. At first I didn't like having that big of a house, but we have been able to house people who needed it (including the LDS missionaries and someone who was living with seven siblings, plus two parents in a tiny place). We do have a lot of camping and climbing gear that takes up a fair amount of space, but I'd still get a smaller house next time around.

If anyone wants a fridge or chair, they can come pick one up, but as mentioned, I live out in the middle of nowhere. :wink:

PS, some states let you deduct donated items (in good condition) from your taxes. Colorado does, but if it's over $500 you need some sort of official appraisal (though I'm not sure how to do this). Photographs of the stuff and notes from wherever you donated to aren

Slot Machine
01-10-2015, 02:54 PM
I was just trying to suggest an alternative that might have value to others.

Rob

That makes sense. I wonder, Rob, if things are a little bit more difficult to obtain in Europe than they are in Utah. Perhaps the landfill space is a little more valuable where you are?

In Utah, and the U.S. in general, you can buy anything for next to free, and throw it away as fast as you can buy it. It's sad, but really, you could buy disposable styrofoam plates and plasticware for every meal, and never have the need to wash your dishes. (most people don't do this, but they could) Every person can afford to own every tool at Home Depot. Everyone is compelled to own one of everything here, because it is so easy to do.

Is that the trend in Europe?

Rob L
01-10-2015, 03:31 PM
.......Is that the trend in Europe?

No, I don't think things are more difficult to obtain than in the US...but valuable things are equally as difficult to obtain in both countries.

I can't answer for Europe; but I'd suggest what you say is true for the UK: With the western world's environmental regulations starting in California and working their way east, they eventually end up here, so we have a small advantage here of seeing what is to come.

Already in force some years: Leaded petrol banned, fishing lines without lead weights, onerous diesel emission regulations, proper solder flux banned (!)

Our conversation here probably belongs on another thread, of course, and the Mods will do the honours; but you may like to contact an Engineering forum before you throw away those reamers and so-on.:mrgreen:

Rob

Slot Machine
01-10-2015, 03:58 PM
No, I don't think things are more difficult to obtain than in the US...but valuable things are equally as difficult to obtain in both countries.

I can't answer for Europe; but I'd suggest what you say is true for the UK: With the western world's environmental regulations starting in California and working their way east, they eventually end up here, so we have a small advantage here of seeing what is to come.

Already in force some years: Leaded petrol banned, fishing lines without lead weights, onerous diesel emission regulations, proper solder flux banned (!)

Our conversation here probably belongs on another thread, of course, and the Mods will do the honours; but you may like to contact an Engineering forum before you throw away those reamers and so-on.:mrgreen:

Rob

Lol, no need to split the thread. The Bogley community should only be forced to read one trash thread at a time.

FWIW, all of that stuff is in a landfill by now.

Part of getting The Challenge done every day is not nit-picking through the items. If we contacted a forum every day to give away every semi-useless thing we no longer care to own, literally, it would take years to get rid of 2,500 things. As I'm sure you are aware, Sir Rob L, it can be painful to part with things. No need to prolong the pain by nit-picking through the pile.

Rob L
01-10-2015, 04:04 PM
... it can be painful to part with things. No need to prolong the pain by nit-picking through the pile.
It's not painful: I part with nothing.
I'm a hoarder!

Simple
01-10-2015, 06:08 PM
Days 9 and 10:

Threw away:
7 dish towels
4 dish rags
Pink trash can
Apron
Baby changing pad

Gave away:
Pearl necklace
Pearl earrings
Whit gold chain
Musical elephant figurine
Blouse

Absolute Gravity
01-10-2015, 06:26 PM
Gave away:
Pearl necklace
Pearl earrings
Whit gold chain
Musical elephant figurine
Blouse

I give pearl necklace's away all the time. :roflol:

rockgremlin
01-10-2015, 06:39 PM

Bastard beat me to it. :)~

Every time Simple makes a comment I feel it should be set to the tune of "The 12 Days of Christmas."

Absolute Gravity
01-10-2015, 06:41 PM

A decade and a half ago...

Absolute Gravity
01-10-2015, 08:36 PM
Bastard beat me to it. :)~

Every time Simple makes a comment I feel it should be set to the tune of "The 12 Days of Christmas."

Which day did your true love give you a pearl necklace for Christmas :naughty:

rockgremlin
01-10-2015, 09:25 PM
Which day did your true love give you a pearl necklace for Christmas :naughty:

Oh ha ha ha....

....the eighth day.

Absolute Gravity
01-11-2015, 12:58 PM
Days 7, 8, 9, 10, 11:

47 more vinyl records
2 6 ft. counter tops that I used to have set up in my garage
1 inflation pump
2 screwdrivers
1 locking pliers
1 tubing bender

Rob L
01-11-2015, 01:46 PM
Days 7, 8, 9, 10, 11:

47 more vinyl records
Is Vinyl not back in fashion now? $10 a pop?

Absolute Gravity
01-11-2015, 02:20 PM
Is Vinyl not back in fashion now?

Vinyl, yes.

'Joe South and The Believers' :ne_nau:

I also believe that an Angel gets it's wings every time I shatter a Neil Diamond record. So there are four angels out there that owe me one.

Slot Machine
01-11-2015, 02:44 PM
Day 12:

One can of 3M adhesive spray
One soldering iron
Two car seat covers
One front license plate holder
Two bottles of windshield washer fluid
Three spools of kite string
Two boxes of weatherproof wire nuts

I contacted an adhesive spray forum, a soldering iron forum, a car seat cover forum, a license plate holder forum, a windshield washer forum, and a weather proof wire nut forum, then made sure that each item was given to a person in need. There is no such thing as a kite string forum (don't be silly), so I threw those in the trash. The pearl necklace forum is not a good place to give away or sell jewelry. You have been warned.

Rob L
01-11-2015, 02:54 PM
I also believe that an Angel gets it's wings every time I shatter a Neil Diamond record. So there are four angels out there that owe me one.

You owe me a new keyboard :roflol:

(Mind you, I do quite like Jonathan Livingston Seagull :nod:)

Rob L
01-11-2015, 02:58 PM
... The pearl necklace forum is not a good place to give away or sell jewelry. You have been warned.

Someone else owes me a keyboard too! :mrgreen:

I need a coffee-proof keyboard. I bet none of you have one of those to get rid of, eh?

Simple
01-11-2015, 03:10 PM
Day 11:

4 baking pans
2 canyoneering pants
1 plastic triceratops toy
1 canyoneering jacket
3 baby shirts

Sombeech
01-11-2015, 06:31 PM

For free? I charge.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Absolute Gravity
01-11-2015, 06:56 PM
For free? I charge.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Yeah, Mombeech is stingy as hell. I don't mind though.

tallsteve
01-12-2015, 07:56 AM
- One 35" tubed flat-screen TV we've had in our bedroom. Into the dumpster it went. I can't tell you how thrilled I am to never have to lift a large tubed TV again!
- A large box of old outdoor Christmas lights I haven't used for 6 or 7 years and don't know why I've held on to them this long.

Slot Machine
01-12-2015, 08:22 PM
- One 35" tubed flat-screen TV we've had in our bedroom. Into the dumpster it went. I can't tell you how thrilled I am to never have to lift a large tubed TV again!
- A large box of old outdoor Christmas lights I haven't used for 6 or 7 years and don't know why I've held on to them this long.

Nice! I remember lugging my last giant TV. Lordy they used to weigh a ton. 35" was a seriously heavy old-school TV.

FWIW, old electronics have some nasty stuff (and valuable stuff) inside of them. If in Salt Lake, you can responsibly dispose of them here:

8775 S 700 W in Sandy. They are open from 7am to 4:30 pm Monday - Friday.

Day 13 (partial list):
Keyboard
Old laptop
VCR
VCR tape rewinder

Simple
01-12-2015, 08:30 PM
Day 12:

7 small sentimental items
5 bass guitar picks

rockgremlin
01-12-2015, 11:16 PM
Got any bass and/or electric guitar items you're wanting to get rid of?

Sombeech
01-13-2015, 06:40 AM
If you contact a cast member from the series "Hoarders", they'll come by and get rid of a lot of this stuff for you

Slot Machine
01-13-2015, 11:38 AM
If you contact a cast member from the series "Hoarders", they'll come by and get rid of a lot of this stuff for you

Joke scoreboard for this thread:

Absolute Gravity : 4,500,000 points

Slot Machine: 3,800,000 points

Iceaxe: 500,000 points

Sombeech: 3.50 points

Slot Machine
01-13-2015, 11:42 AM
Day 13 (continued):

One gas chainsaw wrench
One plug in lighter dustbuster
One pastic hangar
One bumper sticker
One coin from a coin collection
4 glass Christmas ornaments

Day 14:

14 glass Christmas ornaments

Rob L
01-13-2015, 12:10 PM
Day 13 (continued):

Christmas ornaments

I feel I can join in now:

1. Today 13/1/15. Sent to the Christmas card recycling system: all those Christmas cards pointlessly "given" to me in person. (Shirley, cards are to be sent to people you don't see?).

Absolute Gravity
01-13-2015, 12:46 PM
(Shirley, cards are to be sent to people you don't see?).

I have a new plane avatar for you...

Sombeech
01-13-2015, 01:01 PM
Joke scoreboard for this thread:

Absolute Gravity : 4,500,000 points

Slot Machine: 3,800,000 points

Iceaxe: 500,000 points

Sombeech: 3.50 points

Looks like I'd better step up the funny!

http://doorq.com/doorq/wordpress//wp-content/uploads/2011/03/017.jpg

Simple
01-13-2015, 07:52 PM
Got any bass and/or electric guitar items you're wanting to get rid of?

I am selling one of my bass guitars. It is a vintage royal blue/purple 4-string Ibanez EXB 404 EX Series made in 1991. It has a mellow sound and is in great condition. PM me if interested.

Day 13:

7 baby onesies
Maternity jacket
5 pairs of baby pants

Slot Machine
01-15-2015, 02:33 PM
DAY 15:

6 glass Christmas ornaments
2 coins, the last of my coin collection, woohoo! (sold)
3 shirts
1 pair of gym shorts
1 stapler
1 brand new Panasonic vacuum belt, for a Panasonic vacuum we haven't owned for years
3 vacuum bags

Scott Card
01-15-2015, 03:13 PM
Why am I reading about what people throw away.... This is worse than reality TV.

Scott Card
01-15-2015, 03:14 PM
I guess I may as well join in the fun.

2 banana peels
2 water bottles
1 bandaid wrapper
a lot of paper from the drafts of documents filed in court
old receipt and lint from my pocket
small V8 can

soon to be "less" in my realm of wonder, one apple core.

rockgremlin
01-15-2015, 06:58 PM

2 banana peels
2 water bottles
1 bandaid wrapper
small V8 can

Lol. Your list resembles mine.

Slot Machine
01-15-2015, 10:08 PM

2 banana peels
2 water bottles
1 bandaid wrapper
small V8 can

BEHOLD! the very average content of @Scott Card (http://www.bogley.com/forum/member.php?u=181). Please process his thoughts slowly, dear reader. I would not want you to become overwhelmed with the cerebral wattage that flows from his fingertips then onto his keyboard!

Scott Card
01-15-2015, 10:22 PM
BEHOLD! the very average content of @Scott Card (http://www.bogley.com/forum/member.php?u=181). Please process his thoughts slowly, dear reader. I would not want you to become overwhelmed with the cerebral wattage that flows from his fingertips then onto his keyboard!:lol8:

Sombeech
01-16-2015, 09:10 AM

Worthless content? I'd say Less is More.

rockgremlin
01-16-2015, 12:02 PM
I guess when this thread dies we'll know you've thrown your computer out in the trash. Or is that something you absolutely can't live without?

Slot Machine
01-16-2015, 02:39 PM
I guess when this thread dies we'll know you've thrown your computer out in the trash. Or is that something you absolutely can't live without?

I could live without it. After we moved I didn't unpack it for a week. Not a big deal.

That being said, waxing poetic on Bogley via smartphone is like trying to shoot a rifle using only your feet.

For that reason alone I should keep it.

Slot Machine
01-16-2015, 05:38 PM
Day 16:

2 DVD's
2 NHL Hockey Pucks (gave to neighbor kid that plays hockey)
1 Umbrella
3 Black Bandanas
1 Remote Control
1 Lightswitch Cover
3 Sets of RCA cables
2 camera/computer cables
1 t-shirt

Iceaxe
01-16-2015, 10:16 PM
I got rid of an entire six pack of beer all by myself tonight.... does that count?

Slot Machine
01-17-2015, 08:40 AM
So how is this experiment effecting our overall happiness?

The Happiness Piechart

Downsizing has reduced the number of things I worry about on a daily basis by about 50%. Once we sell our house, I'd say the reduction will be 75%.

We have reduced the number of things we own by about 55-65%. It is very stressful disposing of so many things that we have worked hard for, so temporarily the stress makes things worse. However, those things are quickly forgotten, usually within hours. We literally don't miss any of it. Not yet anyway. I bet we stop somewhere around the 70-75% mark.

When we moved three weeks ago, the lack of space was shocking. It took about 3 days to get used to it. Once we got the initial clutter sorted out, it felt exactly the same as our huge house. Nice and cozy. We are equally happy with our new environment.

Selling all of the valuables in my safety deposit box also proved to be very good move. There were about 10 things in there that I've always fretted about. But having them locked in a bank where you never see them was nonsense. I paid $55 a year for a box that had stuff in it that I never looked at or used? And stressed over those things? Crazy, in hindsight. No more safety deposit box, no more Zions bank account. Several less things to worry about and maintain. Relief.

Not saying this will work for you, or that you should do any of it. I'm simply sharing something that is working out nicely for us. I'm happier. I sleep better. I'm significantly less stressed. And the best part is yet to come... :kickit:

qedcook
01-17-2015, 09:33 AM
This is a thread of extremes; extremely boring and lame, and extremely hilarious.

Slot Machine
01-17-2015, 09:44 AM
This is a thread of extremes; extremely boring and lame, and extremely hilarious.

Curious, what do you find hilarious?

Bootboy
01-17-2015, 09:46 AM

Don't be such a wet sandwich.

Absolute Gravity
01-17-2015, 02:12 PM
I got rid of an entire six pack of beer all by myself tonight.... does that count?

Bottom Tier Superhero ridding the world of Bud Light six cans at a time. You are an inspiration.

Iceaxe
01-17-2015, 03:17 PM
Bottom Tier Superhero ridding the world of Bud Light six cans at a time. You are an inspiration.
Pssshhh... shows what you know... it was a sixer of Molson Ice.

Absolute Gravity
01-17-2015, 03:56 PM
Pssshhh... shows what you know... it was a sixer of Molson Ice.

Lol, splurged on an import huh?

rockgremlin
01-17-2015, 07:18 PM
I'm going to start a "more is more challenge" thread. Gotta balance out nonsense with more nonsense.

The one thing that I sincerely don't understand about this thread is how/why the possession of objects can generate so much stress and anxiety in you.

So owning rare coins in a safety deposit box was causing you to chronically lose sleep? I don't get it. This seems like a very extreme last ditch measure to secure personal happiness and fulfillment. What happens when it doesn't work? Really not trying to be obnoxious. I am sincerely curious what the game plan is here - after a month of giving away almost all of your belongings, and a significant improvement isn't achieved, then what?

jman
01-17-2015, 07:32 PM
The one thing that I sincerely don't understand about this thread is how/why the possession of objects can generate so much stress and anxiety in you.

I can't answer for Bob but I was just thinking about this question...one possible answer is the "pursuit" of material possessions cause stress and anxiety.

I've seen it many times with a certain sibling and a particular friend.

This friend doesn't even own a bed (he sleeps on the ground on a camping pad for the past 10years) and is obsessing about new gear and technology all the time. It's about the latest photography lenses and camera, or latest ski jacket, or latest accessory for his truck (new off-roading LED lights that hasn't been installed yet), and the new phone accessory, etc.

So I can see how if you obsess over the newest toy that it will cause undue stress.

But I think the root of it is my friend and sibling want to be "normal" and not feel like they are missing out on anything in life, since that is what "civilized society" desires/seeks after.

Just one perspective for ya.

Slot Machine
01-18-2015, 07:15 AM
I'm going to start a "more is more challenge" thread. Gotta balance out nonsense with more nonsense.

If your mind is not open, it will never make sense.

But I'll play along, since you are one of the few on this thread that is half interested in playing along. A direction I hoped this thread would take.

For other people, more IS more. Some people find great fulfillment and comfort surrounding themselves with collections of all sort.

Everyone is different. I think we all have a limit as to how much stress we can handle. Or perhaps how much stress we should deal with before it starts to change our personalities for the worse. Excessive stress is not good for healthy brain chemistry, agreed?

So owning rare coins in a safety deposit box was causing you to chronically lose sleep? I don't get it.

The additive effect of all stressors in my life has interfered with my sleep. Literally. Not just the safety deposit box (a seemingly disingenuous question).

This seems like a very extreme last ditch measure to secure personal happiness and fulfillment. What happens when it doesn't work? Really not trying to be obnoxious. I am sincerely curious what the game plan is here - after a month of giving away almost all of your belongings, and a significant improvement isn't achieved, then what?

Downsizing was a very calculated change in direction. It took two years to evaluate and work up the courage. I chickened out twice. Too expensive and too stressful, so I thought.

So far, our experiment is CLEARLY working out. A significant improvement has already been achieved. All four of us are happier, even the baby. It might be temporary, it might not work, you might be right. All things are possible.

We have been ditching stuff for 5 weeks now. 1,500-2,000 things before I started this thread. Only 250 over the past 18 days. The first 2,000 things inspired the thread.

"If it doesn't work, then what?"

Then we will try something else. A relentless pursuit of happiness. :mrgreen:

Slot Machine
01-18-2015, 07:37 AM
I can't answer for Bob but I was just thinking about this question...one possible answer is the "pursuit" of material possessions cause stress and anxiety.

I've seen it many times with a certain sibling and a particular friend.

This friend doesn't even own a bed (he sleeps on the ground on a camping pad for the past 10years) and is obsessing about new gear and technology all the time. It's about the latest photography lenses and camera, or latest ski jacket, or latest accessory for his truck (new off-roading LED lights that hasn't been installed yet), and the new phone accessory, etc.

So I can see how if you obsess over the newest toy that it will cause undue stress.

But I think the root of it is my friend and sibling want to be "normal" and not feel like they are missing out on anything in life, since that is what "civilized society" desires/seeks after.

Just one perspective for ya.

Nice post jman.

This behavior is known as the hedonic treadmill. It is an endless source of stress because the emptiness is never filled.

I used to run on this treadmill many years ago. I had much to prove to myself, and many things that I wanted to buy. A huge house. A luxury car. A basketball court. A dozen pairs of vintage Air Jordans, something that I dreamed of as a child. Rapidly, I checked these things off the bucket list.

The things themselves were not fulfilling. Knowing that I could obtain anything on my bucket list was very fulfilling indeed. Armed with this knowledge, I soon stopped running on the treadmill.

--

The stress that I'm talking about in this thread comes from the sheer number of useless things in my life. Thousands and thousands of things.

I think everyone has a number where they would look at themselves and say, "Wow this is crazy, do I really need, or even want, all of this shit?" Our number just happens to be 5,000 things.

Iceaxe
01-18-2015, 01:18 PM
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a 1970 Corvette and that's kind of the same thing.

Slot Machine
01-18-2015, 02:58 PM
Day 17: 17 CDs, all from the 90's.

Day 18: 17 more 90's CDs
One CD album.

Most of those were from a BMG subscription... *sigh*

12 for 1! What happened to that?!?

rockgremlin
01-18-2015, 08:31 PM
Most of those were from a BMG subscription... *sigh*

12 for 1! What happened to that?!?

LOL. I remember those days.

Well, my hats off to ya for executing what 99% of folks would consider to be utterly ludicrous.

I hope the end of this challenge results in happiness and fulfillment for you and yours. I know that sounds like a Hallmark Christmas card comment, but I really do mean it. :)

Slot Machine
01-20-2015, 01:58 PM
Day 19:

Four 2x4's
3 PVC pipes
2 cans of ABS glue
One 72" straight edge
2 sawhorses
1 case of drop-down ceiling tiles
2 drop cloths
8 books

Day 20:

6 books
1 metal trash can
1 plastic trash can
1 t shirt
6 pens
4 dress shirts
1 pair of slacks

Slot Machine
01-21-2015, 12:42 PM
Day 21

1 Playstation 3
8 Books
1 Palm nailer
1 Torque wrench
9 rolls of wrapping paper
1 Rubbermaid container for wrapping paper

rockgremlin
01-21-2015, 01:32 PM
Day 21

1 Playstation 3

Oh no you di'int!!

Controllers & games too?

Slot Machine
01-21-2015, 02:36 PM
Oh no you di'int!!

Controllers & games too?

Sold, not trash.

tmartenst
01-22-2015, 11:04 AM
I am not going to post all the stuff I continue to get rid of but I've been trashing, selling and donating stuff for weeks now. Still much more to go including a Kenwood stereo, surround system, many books, old gear, kids crap, clothes.

Don
01-22-2015, 01:52 PM
Yesterday I threw out 2 empty beers. Today I'll throw out 3 more.

Edit: And I have a box of mormon books from the old days (Jesus the Christ, Miracle of Forgiveness, Articles of Faith, Mormon Doctrine, Teachings of the Prophet, Truth Restored, A Marvelous Work and a Wonder, and probably 8 or 10 more) that I could toss out.

But I'm keeping the more recently purchased mormon-related biography and history books. ;)

rockgremlin
01-22-2015, 10:46 PM
I have a box of mormon books from the old days (Jesus the Christ, Miracle of Forgiveness, Articles of Faith, Mormon Doctrine, Teachings of the Prophet, Truth Restored, A Marvelous Work and a Wonder, and probably 8 or 10 more) that I could toss out.

This thread just got a lot more exciting

Slot Machine
01-23-2015, 02:02 PM
This item is going to count for Day 22 and 23, because it has been such a huge headache:

The heirloom of heirlooms, a 1922 New York Yankees baseball, signed by Babe Ruth.

My great-great uncle won this baseball in a raffle, passed it to his brother who I knew (lived to be 96). He passed it to my grandfather, who played baseball with it. He passed it to my dad who passed it to me. I never had it authenticated because I was certain it was real.

I felt pretty bad about posting it on eBay. Until two days ago...

I posted the baseball on eBay for $15,000, becuse I could not figure out how to post the auction with a reserve price (a far less friendly eBay than the website of old). The next day I figured out the issue and re-listed the ball for $3,000 with a $15,000 reserve. Nobody bid, much to my surprise.

A couple of days later, some dude emailed me and told me my Ruth autograph was fake. Likely signed (with the approval of Ruth) by a batboy or clubhouse attendant. A common occurrence back then.

Outraged, I sent a photo to PSA, an authentication service. They also tell me the signature 'likely not authentic'.

Then I attempted to relist the item on eBay, in an honest fashion, as a 1922 baseball with clubhouse signatures. eBay considers clubhouse signatures to be counterfit, so they will no longer let me list the ball at all.

The ball is now for sale on KSL for $100. I can't wait to sell it. Disappointed because I was planning to use the money to take my wife to Tahiti. Angry because I've had it in a extra-large safety deposit box for the past 10 years.

I guess it is good that I tried to sell it this week. I've always thought of the baseball as my last resort asset if we fell on hard times.

Good thing we didn't fall on hard times.

Iceaxe
01-23-2015, 07:19 PM
1 Torque wrench

Asshat.... I just bought a new torque wrench Sunday.

double moo
01-23-2015, 07:33 PM
Found I had too many 2-3/4" #7 shot shells. Toady is day one for me. I didn't sell of give them away, just traded them for some pheasant breasts... It was really liberating - for both me and the dog...

rockgremlin
01-23-2015, 08:34 PM
Just relist that baseball with an authentic Everett Scott signature. Snicker, snicker.

Slot Machine
01-24-2015, 06:54 AM
Just relist that baseball with an authentic Everett Scott signature. Snicker, snicker.

Really, I would if I could. If I relist that ball on eBay again I could get banned.

I think an authentic Carl Mays (whoever he was) signature is worth some $500. However, it seems all signatures are diminished by the fake. Nobody is interested. Soon I'll just go to the local little league field, hit the ball as far as I can and let the baseball become somebody else's problem.

Then I'd get a ticket for littering...

Slot Machine
01-24-2015, 08:37 AM
I just bought a new torque wrench Sunday.

If I'd told you about every tool I'd gotten rid of over the past month, you would have come over to my house and beaten me to death with a torque wrench by now. Friends don't try to sell friends their junk.

I did throw out 3 ancient cans of Icehouse before the move. Almost texted you about them. :haha:

Slot Machine
01-29-2015, 09:48 AM
Time to wrap this thread up.

Over the past few days I've sold the last of my valuables.

Got $800 bucks for the baseball. That basically paid for the safety deposit box that it lived in for the past decade. Gut-wrenching after 'knowing' it was worth $15,000.

Had to relist a coin on eBay three times. A huge headache. Should have just thrown it into a fountain.

I sold a Rolex that an uncle left me in his will. I've learned more about fine timepieces than I ever wanted to know. The new owner now gets the privilege of having it cleaned for $1,000.

I'm very grateful for all gifts given to me. I'm lucky and know it. However, I'm still happy to see those things go. I was grinning like a fool after I shipped the last of them.

We didn't make it to our goal of 29, 30, 31 things a day, to complete the challange for the month of January. However, over the past 6 weeks we've parted with about 2,300 things. I miss my recliner (no room at our new place). I miss my Weber grill (our building doesn't allow gas grills).

But I don't miss anything else.

We look forward to selling out house. Thousands of future headaches avoided. Hundreds of thousands of dollars redirected at fun activities.

We look forward to spending the equity on adventures. Paris. Tahiti. The North Wash. All in the not too distant future. Life is short. It's time to play hard.

Our dishwasher broke last night. Somebody else is fixing it while I'm typing. So nice.

So

very

very

nice.

:mrgreen:

rockgremlin
01-29-2015, 02:32 PM
Our dishwasher broke last night. Somebody else is fixing it while I'm typing. So nice.

So

very

very

nice.

:mrgreen:

http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/tmbs/0c8dbdc118/fullsize_11.jpg?112d666e

Slot Machine
01-29-2015, 03:12 PM
Great thing is, I didn't even need to call a repairman. Or see his hairy ass.

Steph called a person called a "building manager". I've been told his job is to fix stuff. He approaches his job like a competitive sport. He's knocked on our door before we hung up the phone. Literally.

Based on the reports from home (I'm at work right now), he ripped out the old washer then took it out behind the barn and shot it. Then he installed a new quiet dishwasher. Free!

Its like m***********g magic, Rock! I'm tellin' ya! :2thumbs: :kickit:

rockgremlin
01-29-2015, 03:30 PM
Our dishwasher broke last night.....

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/168859368-woman-with-a-black-eye-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=mApZN7NQA5xO5an9YpMb4wSejdndL%2BJvUMkcxsCzsoE%3D

....fixed it.

:fitz:

Sombeech
02-06-2015, 12:19 PM
I just bought a drone for my GoPro, a new 7 string accoustic guitar, a downhill mountain bike and a new computer.

rockgremlin
02-06-2015, 05:32 PM
I'm offended that my last post got edited. To whom may I file my grievance?

Sombeech
02-06-2015, 06:53 PM
Edit: And I have a box of mormon books from the old days (Jesus the Christ, Miracle of Forgiveness, Articles of Faith, Mormon Doctrine, Teachings of the Prophet, Truth Restored, A Marvelous Work and a Wonder, and probably 8 or 10 more) that I could toss out.

But I'm keeping the more recently purchased mormon-related biography and history books. ;)

Were they on the shelf next to your other book titled "Athiesm: How to disrespect religion in any conversation any time, no matter what the topic"? :roflol:

Iceaxe
02-07-2015, 06:27 AM
dishwasher broke last night.

You broke your wife? Sorry to hear that, I hope she starts feeling better soon.

rockgremlin
02-09-2015, 01:17 PM
You broke your wife? Sorry to hear that, I hope she starts feeling better soon.

I commented the same thing, with a picture of some poor lass with a black eye. Somebody deleted it.