PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Summer recap of a few canyons in the Catskills Region, NY

Northeast Canyoneering
12-06-2014, 02:23 PM
Last fall I returned to my native New York with a closet full of canyoneering gear and no particular idea of what to do with it. Over the winter I found a few postings on different forums that some canyon-like routes in the Catskills that might be good but nothing really solid. It turns out there are several good routes so here's a quick summary of what's out there for any other canyoneers who find themselves here on the flat-coast:

Plattekill Creek is well known locally for the scenic falls at the top and swimming holes at the bottom. The five falls in the 0.2 miles down from Plattekill Falls are great rappels by any standard, three over 60

jman
12-06-2014, 02:47 PM
Wow. Thanks for sharing! That's beautiful place there.

I like the lady in the first pic posing for the camera. :)

Anyway, I have no idea how close you are to this but I heard that Watkins Glen State Park is hiding a canyon with rappels in there

I have no beta for it all except for a few pics from a friend and his wife who live there.

Northeast Canyoneering
12-06-2014, 08:05 PM
Wow. Thanks for sharing! That's beautiful place there.

I like the lady in the first pic posing for the camera. :)

Anyway, I have no idea how close you are to this but I heard that Watkins Glen State Park is hiding a canyon with rappels in there

I have no beta for it all except for a few pics from a friend and his wife who live there.

I'm sold! I went to college around there and I've been trying to track down some canyons in the area. I am in NYC but it is an easy weekend trip up.

skiclimb3287
12-07-2014, 09:22 AM

I grew up near the Catskills and went to college near Watkins Glen. Approx. 3-4 hours apart. The pics of both make me want to take my gear next time I visit the family! The Watkins Glen rock is shale. Scary stuff. It breaks away easily. I have a photo of me standing on a rock outcrop hanging over a 170 foot waterfall at a state park in that area. I went back a few weeks later and it was gone! [emoji33]

accadacca
12-11-2014, 03:00 PM
Wow! That second photo! Canyoneering/bikini model shoot mashup. :lol8: