PDA

View Full Version : CONVERTING TO GAS FIREPLACE

Shourn
12-05-2014, 04:45 AM
Hey im looking at converting my wood burning fireplace, to gas. I have a quote at 2500 with install for a Kingsman direct vent insert 31,000 btu does this sound like a reasonable price, and is a gas fireplace worth it? THANKS

DiscGo
12-05-2014, 06:45 AM
I actually think that is a good price but I know a guy who installed gas fireplaces for a living. I'd be happy to give you his contact information, and you can get a 2nd quote from him for free.

jman
12-06-2014, 09:30 AM
I think it's worth it. First, it's not burning wood, which doesn't leave ash and smoke-flavored-everything everywhere. (And not to mention the trees that are saved).

Second, from personal experience, we lost power to my house for 5 days, about 3 years ago in a crazy 80+ mph wind storm here in Northern Utah. This was December or January I believe and it was ice cold!! The house got down to 49 degrees at night and the day was warmed back up to 55. I have a decent size house I think - 3000sq feet.

Anywho, turning on that gas fire place was a miracle. I let it run for those 4 days and the house warmed back up to what it normally was. Although most of the heat was contained in one room - it would slowly dissipate into the other rooms. The basement stayed ice-cold however.

I also own two Mexican turtles that have big aquariums and need a temp above 60 degrees to survive (water temp). When the power was severed, they lost all heat and lighting.

So, I got a second person to help me lift them fairly close to the fireplace and they survived alright.

Anywho, having the gas line was worth it. Oh...and total price for those 4 days of natural gas 24/7....$27.

But i use that gas fireplace throughout the winter when I have company over, or a special lady, or just to create a nice ambience.

And natural gas is cheap.

Rob L
12-06-2014, 01:06 PM
<heavy snip>And natural gas is cheap.</heavy snip>
Everything is cheap (er) in the US .:angryfire:

In the UK, everyone is ripping out gas fires and installing wood burning stoves because natural gas (and electricity) is expensive due to taxation compared with trees from sustainable sources.

And petrol & diesel are taxed even more so.

Mind you, we can get plenty of heat if we get ill due to the cold...our hospitals (free under the UK National Health Service) seem to keep the thermostats up to well above blood boiling point. :ne_nau:

Iceaxe
12-06-2014, 01:21 PM
I love my gas log.... a flip of the switch and it's instant warm cozy evening in front of the fire.... suddenly want to do something else or get a better offer and a flip of the switch and I'm outta there.

jman
12-06-2014, 02:41 PM
Everything is cheap (er) in the US .:angryfire:

In the UK, everyone is ripping out gas fires and installing wood burning stoves because natural gas (and electricity) is expensive due to taxation compared with trees from sustainable sources.

And petrol & diesel are taxed even more so.

Mind you, we can get plenty of heat if we get ill due to the cold...our hospitals (free under the UK National Health Service) seem to keep the thermostats up to well above blood boiling point. :ne_nau:

Yikes! I've never been to the UK, but that's what I hear from a friend that lives there too.

She complains that for a liter of petrol is around $9 US dollars. I can't imagine the U.S. reaching that high. I'm sure it will one day eventually. :(

Rob L
12-06-2014, 03:08 PM
Yikes! I've never been to the UK, but that's what I hear from a friend that lives there too.

She complains that for a liter of petrol is around $9 US dollars. I can't imagine the U.S. reaching that high. I'm sure it will one day eventually. :(

It will have to if you (the American people) want to cease paying $$$ per month for health insurance.

I'm not sure that "Obamacare" is trying to achieve that, but when my Wisconsin-living friends are paying $800 per month...per month! for pills, but it all has to be paid for somehow; either through taxes or directly out of your wallet.

It'll probably balance out over your lifetime. The $$$ savings the US citizens could make is to ban lawyers and the "no win no fee" litigious society. I suppose you could ask congress? :slobber:

Scott Card
12-06-2014, 09:18 PM
I guess I am old school. I love my wood burning fireplace. I actually like a little smoke (a very little) smoke smell when it is burning. Christmas eve with a crackling log, a hint of pine smoke in the air, oh baby................... it helps me keep my sanity as I try to assemble all the thousand-piece toys/bikes/doll houses for Christmas morning.

Iceaxe
12-07-2014, 11:41 AM
Pollution and air quality are also a big reason to go gas.