PDA

View Full Version : Canyoneering Vehicle Thoughts

SRG
11-28-2014, 12:18 PM
Hola Everyone,

I'm interested in hearing about what vehicle gets you to the trailhead and if it does a good job or not. Also, I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on what makes an ideal canyoneering vehicle.

I don't know all that much about cars/trucks/suvs and I've always driven a low-clearance 2wd sedan. Though I've driven my car on some questionable dirt roads, typically someone with a more competent vehicle ends up driving.

I live on the Front Range in CO so for me the ideal vehicle would need to be able to do a long round trip over mountains and back with 4 people and their gear safely(in bad weather), economically and comfortably.

It also needs to be a sturdy home-base for the weekend, capable and reliable on gnarly desert dirt roads.

Thoughts?

Slot Machine
11-28-2014, 01:23 PM
Hola Sam,

My 2007 FJ Cruiser is the ideal canyoneering vehicle. My buddy Tony @AbsoluteGravity drives a nearly identical vehicle. So his FJ ties for first I guess. We get some funny looks when both of us pull into Sandthrax.

I built my FJ to dominate deep snow years before venturing into the remote corners of the desert. It never breaks down. It never gets stuck. I'm not a car nut, but it is awesome.

I only added a couple of things:

3 inch lift, ARB suspension, medium firmness

BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO 285/70/17 tires

Side steps from RealWheels.

Toyota skid plate

15 MPG, somewhat harsh for long road trips, but worth it. Unstoppable in the desert due to short wheelbase and stubby bumpers. Lots of room for gear. Highly recommended.

edit: HUGE PLUS, the entire interior is washable, everything is made out of smooth plastic. Super easy to clean the sand and mud out. You can hose down the seats and floor and... pretty much everything but the radio.

harness man
11-28-2014, 01:56 PM
Toyota 4Runner:
Cushy on the highway
Great off-road
Decent mileage (for an suv)
5 comfortable with gear (cram 6 for a shuttle)
great car for dogs!

Rob L
11-28-2014, 03:55 PM
Ask Hikster11. I followed him back on the very rough road from the TH of SGR (Moab) a few weeks ago; he was in a little 2WD car that spent most of the time on three wheels. He managed just fine.

I should have taken some photos! And I should teach myself to save some money on expensive car rental next time!

kiwi_outdoors
11-28-2014, 06:29 PM
probably more important is to go with a buddy vehicle, or if solo-vehicle in very remote areas take a satellite phone

wife and I are always solo vehicle and in a Jeep (88, 92 then 97 Cherokee, now in a 2008 Liberty). Plus - drive with your brain. mud is not your friend. Sand can not be your friend under some circumstances. Rocky bits go "boing" and may break parts. So drive appropriately and you can do well in a totally stock 4WD Jeep (or similar). Only been towed out once, AAA paid it 100%.

BTW - the FJCruiser is nice, but was too $$$ and too big for our garage.

Also, the traction control features on late model vehicles also help off road.

Byron
11-28-2014, 06:44 PM
Get a full sized truck...period. If you buy some small pickup or even a mid sized SUV of some type, when you have it loaded with people and gear the engine is going to suck gas with all the weight. It'll be at least 8 years before you have choices with vehicles that will haul a thousand pounds of meat and swag getting anywhere close to 30 MPG.

Take a look at the newest F-150 with either the Ecoboost or 5.0 V8. Dodge makes a good truck, too. Their diesel engine gets around 24, real world...but there's a price premium for that engine. The Chevy just had a redesign, but all the experts agree that their trucks will need new engines...something that they'll be doing in about 2 years.

My '04 gets 17 mpg driving all the way out there and back, loaded with gear. A girlfriend of mine has an '08 Tacoma and she, a friend and all their gear make the trip, she gets 16.

Iceaxe
11-28-2014, 06:58 PM
I disagree on the full size truck. I've always had full size trucks and switched to a Toyota Tacoma in 2012 because it can go so many more places. A full size truck just doesn't fit through the tight spots on many of the back roads I travel. A full size truck just doesn't cut it if you need to do some serious wheeling.

Not saying a Tacoma is the best fit for the original poster as its backseat is to small. I'd probably suggest a 4 Runner. Good mileage, bullet proof, comfortable for four, good resale, cost effective, yada, yada

Fwiw- I am a gear head and I'm usually elbows deep in a car of some type when I'm not in the backcountry.

Bootboy
11-28-2014, 07:30 PM
'97 Toyota 4Runner. Modest lift and knobby tires. Goes everywhere and starts every time

Scott Card
11-28-2014, 08:19 PM
'05 Toyota Tundra - stock version. It has always found the trailhead for every canyon without fail that I have ever wanted to hike and packs a ton of stuff in the back.

jman
11-28-2014, 08:20 PM
Get a full sized truck...period. If you buy some small pickup or even a mid sized SUV of some type, when you have it loaded with people and gear the engine is going to suck gas with all the weight. It'll be at least 8 years before you have choices with vehicles that will haul a thousand pounds of meat and swag getting anywhere close to 30 MPG.

Take a look at the newest F-150 with either the Ecoboost or 5.0 V8. Dodge makes a good truck, too. Their diesel engine gets around 24, real world...but there's a price premium for that engine. The Chevy just had a redesign, but all the experts agree that their trucks will need new engines...something that they'll be doing in about 2 years.

My '04 gets 17 mpg driving all the way out there and back, loaded with gear. A girlfriend of mine has an '08 Tacoma and she, a friend and all their gear make the trip, she gets 16.

X2. Oh yeah! I love my 2004 f-150.

17.5mpg on 33" tires, carrying 5 people and 6 huge duffel bags (the north face - base camp), canyoneering gear and ropes, car camping gear, sleeping bags and pads, tons of food, etc. with plenty of leg room!

By yourself, a truck wouldn't make sense but if most of your canyoneering trips are with people than a truck is awesome!

Especially with gear in the back. No one is cramped and the added benefit is that the driver (and whoever his preference) can sleep in the bed of the truck (which keeps the rodents away and gives you a flat place to rest too.

xxnitsuaxx
11-28-2014, 08:35 PM
X2. Oh yeah! I love 2004 f-150.

17.5mpg on 33" tires carrying 5 people and 6 plus huge duffel bags (the north face - base camp), canyoneering gear and ropes, car camping gear, food, etc. with plenty of leg room!

By yourself, a truck wouldn't make sense but if most of your canyoneering trips are with people than a truck is awesome! Especially with gear in the back. No one is cramped and the added benefit is that the driver (and whoever his preference) can sleep in the bed of the truck (which keeps the rodents away and gives you a flat place to rest too.

x3!!

I've got a 2013 F-150 and I love it. Fits 6 full-size guys comfortably and you never have to worry about what to bring. It all fits in the back. 18 MPG on trips and about 16 around town. With the aluminium body and Ecoboost V6 in the 2015s, you'll be getting great mileage.

hikster11
11-28-2014, 10:32 PM
Ask Hikster11. I followed him back on the very rough road from the TH of SGR (Moab) a few weeks ago; he was in a little 2WD car that spent most of the time on three wheels. He managed just fine.

I should have taken some photos! And I should teach myself to save some money on expensive car rental next time!

Any rental car is just has good as a rock crawler. 2WD just needs a little more speed.

Slot Machine
11-29-2014, 09:19 AM
Sam,

Which vehicles are in your top 5? What is you price range?

Do not say Xterra.

Owning an FJ is like dating a great looking girl then finding out later that she is a yoga instructor. :cool2:

Owning an Xterra is like dating a stripper then later realizing what it means to be dating a stripper. :facepalm1:

spinesnaper
11-29-2014, 10:00 AM
Sam,

Owning an FJ is like dating a great looking girl then finding out later that she is a yoga instructor. :cool2:
Owning an Xterra is like dating a stripper then later realizing what it means to be dating a stripper. :facepalm1:

:roflol:

SRG
11-29-2014, 01:40 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies, lots of good stuff to consider.

Bob,
I've always had a thing for strippers :haha:... but seriously, funny you should ask 'cause FJ and Xterra top my short list. I need to stay under 20k out-the-door and I want something with low miles.

Xterra has the edge right now 'cause I found a deal on one and in general it seems like I can get a newer one in better condition for the pice relative to an FJ.

Wrangler doesn't have enough room. 4 Runners and newer, reliable pickup trucks are out of my price range.

Other than 'cause you've already got one... why so much love for the FJ? And why disdain for the Xterra?

kiwi_outdoors
11-29-2014, 03:05 PM
Xterra can take a lot of abuse (e.g. high speed runs on Hole n the Rock Road) , and then break its rear axle. Twice in one instance. Not mine, owned by a resident in the Escalante region. Xterra was on my short list, but the value of my Jeep KK was too good to pass up. $14,000 got me a 2008 6-speed with 45,700 miles on it.

TommyBoy
11-30-2014, 12:17 AM
I've got a jeep patriot, and with a thule box on top I can fit four and their gear, and to top it off I get around 26 mpg. It can handle rough roads just fine, although if you plan on doing anything too extreme you will want to lift it a little.

Slot Machine
11-30-2014, 07:34 AM
Do not say Xterra.

Xterra top my short list...

Xterra has the edge...

..why disdain for the Xterra?
I knew it! :lol8:

Just so you know, I don't hate one because I love the other. One is just a better product, dollar for dollar, than the other.

You will ALWAYS find deals on Nissans because the quality of their products is not as competitive as Toyota's (my personal theory). Simple stuff breaks. Everything squeaks. My buddy has had his Nissan in the shop a dozen times for retarded stuff over the past 3 years. And he bought it brand new (but he got a SMOKIN deal)!

My FJ? It has not been 'in the shop' even once. I've gone airborne in that thing at least a dozen times and nothing ever breaks. It has 75,000 miles and I haven't even replaced the brake pads. The quality is crazy good!

Also, what it can do is amazing. A few years ago I went to Jeep Safari in Moab (picked the wrong week, not knowing), saw 5,000 Jeeps out in the desert, and NONE of them passed me. This was a big surprise. They would all pull aside and let me play through. The gap in my mind between the FJ and the Jeep grew. And IMO, Jeeps are better than Xterras.
__

I did a quick Autotrader FJ search in Denver and I found a 2007 with 59,000 miles for $18,500. That seems like a winner to me. There were 3 others that were in contention with that one. I wouldn't even care that it is a 2007 because Toyotas are like Asian folks, they age very slowly.

Slot Machine
11-30-2014, 07:38 AM
I've got a jeep patriot, and with a thule box on top I can fit four and their gear, and to top it off I get around 26 mpg. It can handle rough roads just fine, although if you plan on doing anything too extreme you will want to lift it a little.

Does driving across the White Canyon "River" with a running start count as extreme? :eek2: :crazycobasa: :haha:

Slot Machine
11-30-2014, 08:06 AM
I disagree on the full size truck. I've always had full size trucks and switched to a Toyota Tacoma in 2012 because it can go so many more places. A full size truck just doesn't fit through the tight spots on many of the back roads I travel. A full size truck just doesn't cut it if you need to do some serious wheeling.

I'm with Shane on this one. Over the past couple of years I can think of about 5 places where I probably would have stranded myself in a full size truck. And a couple of other places where I would have damaged a bumper or ripped off the front air dam.

Here is my FJ. Look closely at the exit/approach angles (from the bottom of the tire to the outer edge of the bumpers). This subtle difference in design has proven to be an advantage several times. Jeeps and Xterras have similar angles.

That being said, with jman's setup those things don't matter very much. 33 inch tires + lift can conquer almost anything.

With my next truck I'll probably go with a lifted Tundra on 33's. Sleeping in the back + extra cargo and leg room are big pluses.

Iceaxe
11-30-2014, 09:04 AM
One big problem with a full size truck is if you drive seldom traveled 4x4 tracks you will end up with some nice Rocky Mountain pinstripes (scratches from dense growth long the road). I find this is much more of an issue when exploring rock art and ruins than canyoneering.

The large majority of canyon trailhead's are well traveled and Rocky Mountain pinstripes are not an issue. But get off the beaten track just about anywhere looking for the more secluded rock art and ruins and a full size truck is a major hindrance. There is a reason the 4x4 crowd doesn't use full size trucks to create rock crawlers.

So bottomline you need to evaluate what else the vehicle will be used for. Is it a daily driver? Are looks and style important? How important is gas mileage?

When I bought my Tacoma my reasoning was.... they are stylish, I'm a car nut so this was important to me. The stock Tacoma is one of the best off road vehicles right off the showroom floor, not a lot of need to modify. The backseat is a little cramped, but I don't give a shit because I don't ride back there :-) Fuel mileage is good. It's smaller but I can still haul everything I need like mountain bikes and camping gear. It's my daily driver so it has to be nice around town. Resale on Toyota's are outstanding, which is important as I buy a new vehicle every 3 to 5 years.

As I said... I'm not advocating a Tacoma, just pointing out the type of things you should be considering. Before the Tacoma I have always owned full size trucks and SUV's the past 30 years, but my needs changed when I stopped pulling a boat and wanted to get further off the beaten path.

YMMV

Byron
11-30-2014, 01:48 PM
'05 Toyota Tundra - stock version. It has always found the trailhead for every canyon without fail that I have ever wanted to hike and packs a ton of stuff in the back.The word is those last generation Tundra's are awesome...the V8 in particular. I've always admired those trucks...If I had less than 20 grand I'd make finding one of those the top priority.

I had a Toyota pickup back in the early nineties...then I "grew up" to the full size. I still say truck all the way...with a topper, the topper is nice. I don't like having to shoehorn the gear.

skelley
11-30-2014, 04:03 PM
you could keep your eyes on craigslist for an older 4x4 van. they turn up fairly cheaply once in a while.

Bootboy
11-30-2014, 04:50 PM
3 words
Volkswagon Westfalia Syncro

airman
11-30-2014, 08:10 PM
One word: Canyonero.

http://youtu.be/7ZeFDe44Ddo

mzamp
12-01-2014, 09:21 AM
I prefer my Ford Expedition. Like a full size truck it will easily haul you, your friends, and all the gear. Plus the gear always stays dry and it doubles as a hotel. We usually leave after work on trips and drive until we are tired. Then pull over almost anywhere in any weather and sleep. It goes almost anywhere most the other vehicles go as long as you are good at maneuvering and don't mind scratches on your 4x4. Obviously it can't follow a jeep everywhere, but it will follow an xterra. Drives great in town too. YMMV

Kuya
12-01-2014, 10:12 AM
If I hadn't seen it for myself, i wouldn't have believed it either! @hikester11 did better in his Ford Focus than I did in my Durango!

Canyonater
12-01-2014, 10:34 AM
I have a 15 tacoma...figured the bed is a major plus. You can just toss all the dirty clothing and gear and forget about it. The double cab has ample room in the back for people under 6 feet tall. I'm not really digging the somewhat disappointing power and dismal gas mileage though. The power train is very old and outdated vs current offerings and I sure wish it had a center differential. But if you want a sub-compact truck its really the only game in town. Was thinking of a Jeep Rubicon but the storage is pathetic and lets face it its not really reliable.

phatch
12-01-2014, 02:37 PM

Not saying a Tacoma is the best fit for the original poster as its backseat is to small. I'd probably suggest a 4 Runner. Good mileage, bullet proof, comfortable for four, good resale, cost effective, yada, yada

Fwiw- I am a gear head and I'm usually elbows deep in a car of some type when I'm not in the backcountry.

I'm in a 2010 Tacoma and have found it excellent in the backcountry. The recommendation for the 4 Runner vs Tacoma is interesting as the Taco is based on the 4 Runner. When I bought my Tacoma, the 4 Runner seating wasn't as good which surprised me. There was less drop from the seat to the floor so the legs stretch forward more. This was a problem in the back seat particularly. The 4 Runner tends to be updated ahead of the Tacoma, and has a V8 option not available in the Tacoma.

Tacoma brakes are mushy and vague.

Mileage and power of the Tacoma. Many people ding this and for real reasons. I notice little driving difference between empty and loaded, but I have a 3 inch suspension lift. I've never felt under-powered, but I've never towed with it. The stock 3 leaf rear springs are notoriously weak. Around town, I've been getting about 16 mpg lately. I used to get better and am trying to track down the reason. I'm closing in on 70K miles so that's probably some contribution somewhere. I use a Scan Guage to get real time feedback on my mileage and that helps me retrain my foot. There are mileage benefits between slight foot position chages that doesn't really seem to affect your speed.

The Tacoma gets optimum freeway mileage at about 2K RPMs. This is just over 70 mph. Above that mileage drops off quickly. I can get about 22 mpg highway with a full load of people (2 parents, 3 kids) and gear at 70mph.

Full size trucks can beat that now as noted. But the Tacoma is tops in reliability and off road performance which are a good part of the equation for a Canyoneering vehicle.

Steevo
12-01-2014, 02:48 PM
I have a 4x4 2013 Tundra. It is totally Awesome. But when I don't want to get stuck I drive my jeep. A jeep wrangler rubicon unlimited would meet your needs perfectly. They retain their value as much as a Toyota does. We put the whole Family of 5 and all of the gear in the jeep and have plenty of room to spare.

https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/t1.0-9/536005_3757925673991_568133493_n.jpg?oh=a86e09af6b a57fd4cf3829af973f16ea&oe=551E2EEE

jman
12-01-2014, 02:49 PM
I have a 4x4 2013 Tundra. It is totally Awesome. But when I don't want to get stuck I drive my jeep. A jeep wrangler rubicon unlimited would meet your needs perfectly. They retain their value as much as a Toyota does. We put the whole Family of 5 and all of the gear in the jeep and have plenty of room to spare.

https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/t1.0-9/536005_3757925673991_568133493_n.jpg?oh=a86e09af6b a57fd4cf3829af973f16ea&oe=551E2EEE

Nice! That's a sweet pic. Looks like Cali, am I right?

Steevo
12-01-2014, 02:53 PM
Nice! That's a sweet pic. Looks like Cali, am I right?

Yes, that particular picture is in Big Bear, CA.
Warning on a jeep though, you will be tempted to spend $$$$ on modifications, it's like a drug.

jman
12-01-2014, 02:58 PM
Yes, that particular picture is in Big Bear, CA.
Warning on a jeep though, you will be tempted to spend $$$$ on modifications, it's like a drug.

Yea...i know the temptation! I had a 96 XJ 4" suspension lift and 2" body lift, 33x12.5" tires and that was a fun, very fun Jeep to cruise the desert in! Then you got the winch, lightbar, radio, random accessories, etc... :(

I'm tempted to mod my truck more...but you see...there is a point where funds become unavailable in your account...

So much money. But so fun. And speaking of jeeps, I probably got way more lady attention driving that thing than my current truck. Chicks dig Jeeps...that's for sure.

phinux
12-01-2014, 06:27 PM
I have an '88 hatch back Honda Civic. Surprisingly, it has gotten me into areas people with 4wd and high clearance struggled in. Unless there is a major clearance issue, I can get in. On top of that, it's super light-weight, easy to handle, and gets up to 40 mpg. I really like that last part when I'm spending most weekends in remote locations. Down side, my buddies do worry a lot about me. I used to show up late in the night due to my work schedule, but I always arrived. Once, heading out to Zero Gravity I got a pretty late start. My friends told me to text them when I hit the Hanksville exit so they could come get me. But I had no service once I left Price. I had to get out a few times and look over my obstacles, but I made it all the way in and out while a friend in a Suburban struggled. I'll admit, I'd like something with a bit more clearance, but my car just keeps getting me into (and out of) places. Thus far the only place I don't think I could have gotten her into would have been Trachyte and Cheesebox. And at that time, no one got into Cheesebox except a friend with a 4Runner, and much skilled driving. :-)

SRG
12-01-2014, 08:15 PM
Thanks everyone for posting. Given that I'm planning on taking this vehicle to the Utah desert many times a year, your perspectives are invaluable.

In the last couple days a few people have made the case that there are smaller crossover type vehicles with AWD that get over 30mpg, have decent ground clearance and can make it to to 80% of the trailheads in the desert in Utah.
With an AWD crossover versus a real 4X4(with 4-low) I'd be losing A LOT in off road capability, capacity and power, but the prospect of cutting my gas expense literally in half is mighty tempting.

The only vehicle in this class that I would consider is a Subaru, and as of recent I definitely am considering one.

Thoughts?

Byron
12-01-2014, 08:26 PM
Sissy liberal.

Scott P
12-01-2014, 08:42 PM
The only vehicle in this class that I would consider is a Subaru, and as of recent I definitely am considering one.

Thoughts?

The Outback has decent gas mileage and is surprisingly good off road (for the type of vehicle it is). In addition to the Outback, I have a "real SUV", but 95% of the time we take the Subaru due to gas mileage. It won't make it into places like the Doll House or over Elephant Hill (my old Pathfinder will-the new ones won't), but it will make it to the vast majority of canyoneering trailheads. Places like the Eardley Canyon TH, Egypt, Early Weed, Winter Camp Ridge, almost all of the Roost and Swell, (or even the Baby Lions Back) won't be a problem at all.

Driving the Outback vs. the other vehicles will save about $1000 a year in gas alone. See here for a comparison:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=35055&id=35395&id=35925&id=35459

I still keep the old 4X4 (slightly modified) for the really rough roads (such as the ones mentioned above), but if I only had one vehicle, I'd choose the Subaru since it has the advantages of a sedan and is fine for light off road use and gives something between the two. It is nice to have both.

Other than perhaps places like the Arizona Strip, there really aren't that many canyoneering areas that require a hard core 4X4 to access.

If your main objective is Off-Roading, then you want a real 4X4, but if your main objective is canyoneering, then I'd go with something like a Subaru. Unless you're heading out to the Arizona Strip, worse case scenario is that you might have to walk a few minutes to an hour extra to save that $1000 a year.

Bootboy
12-01-2014, 08:55 PM
Subarus are really hit and miss when it comes to reliability. You get lemons and you get gold nuggets.

Before anyone regales me with stories of their Subaru that has 300K on it, that's exactly my point. I have 2 friends who had outbacks that needed new engines at around 50,000. Another friend who's 2010 outback is in the shop once a month for the last year, and family member who had to replace a tranny at 60,000.

On the other side, that same family member has a little Impreza with 320k and no major issues other than its a complete roach mobile.

Subarus are a big gamble.

Toyotas are much more consistent in quality, second only to Honda. Honda has fewer warranty claims than any other brand over the last 20 years, followed closely by toyota. Since its introduction, Honda has produced nearly 14 million VTEC valve train units and not a single one has EVER failed. If that's not consistency in quality, I don't know what is.

The thing that most impresses me about my 4 runner is how well engineered every piece of the car is. Every piece and system in the car is designed to be repaired or replaced as it wears. It's a car that is designed to be fixed and keep going indefinitely. You don't have cascading system failures with toyotas, at least of that generation.

The quality becomes evident after 205,000 miles and 18 years. No break down in my car's whole history.

But if you're not into keeping things for a long time or are of the throw-it-away-when-it -breaks school of thought, disregard this post.

Scott P
12-01-2014, 09:10 PM
Subarus are a big gamble.

According to the Consumer Reports at least (there aren't that many other resources that track long term reliability-JD Powers does post online and initial quality study, but that's different than long term and the questions asked are different), Subaru, Honda, and Toyota are all at the top and overall all have the same reliability ratings (better than average).

The Subaru Outback and Toyota 4Runner are both rated "Much Better than Average" reliability, which is the highest rating. (The 2007 Outback though apparently is less reliable though and is rated average).

Out of the other vehicles mentioned:

Tacoma V6 4X4 = average
Ford F150 4X4 = average
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited = worse than average
Nissan Xterra = Average
Ford Expedition = Average

Iceaxe
12-01-2014, 09:24 PM

Thoughts?

I thought you wanted a 4x4? If that is not a requirement than you can toss out everything posted up to now. Nothing wrong with a Subaru, it just doesn't met your original requirements.

Scott P
12-01-2014, 09:33 PM
I thought you wanted a 4x4? If that is not a requirement than you can toss out everything posted up to now. Nothing wrong with a Subaru, it just doesn't met your original requirements.

I thought these were the requirements posted?

I live on the Front Range in CO so for me the ideal vehicle would need to be able to do a long round trip over mountains and back with 4 people and their gear safely(in bad weather), economically and comfortably.

I don't think any 4X4 really qualifies as "economical". The Samurai used to be, but wasn't exactly comfortable and was small and cramped. It was a lot of fun though and was surprisingly good off road. It was rated 28 mpg city 29 mpg highway. I actually got my stock one (except for the winch) up the Moab Rim once. Other than that, I can't think of any 4X4's that might qualify as economical.

It would be interesting, however, if manufacturers would apply the concept of the new F-150 into a smaller truck.

Iceaxe
12-01-2014, 09:54 PM
It also needs to be a sturdy home-base for the weekend, capable and reliable on gnarly desert dirt roads.

To me gnarly desert dirt roads meant 4x4.... guess I was wrong... but then again I'm married so I'm used to being told I'm wrong ;-)

SRG
12-01-2014, 09:58 PM
Shane,
You're correct that initially I was looking for the "ideal canyoneering vehicle". I'm slowly realizing that my eyes are bigger than my wallet, so unfortunately I'm now looking for the "not ideal but still pretty good and also affordable canyoneering vehicle"

Scott P
12-01-2014, 10:06 PM
To me gnarly desert dirt roads meant 4x4.... guess I was wrong..

I thought that it can mean that too, but on the other hand in the context of someone currently driving a Honda Civic and looking for economy, I took the meaning as possibly being different. It would be useful to find out exactly which areas SRG is planning on accessing.

Anyway, in the context of canyoneering, I'm pretty sure I could get my Subaru into or very close to almost all of the canyoneering TH's mentioned on climb-utah.com for example:

http://climb-utah.com/technical.htm

The only possible exception might be the Warm Springs area, but that would be the only one.

flatiron
12-02-2014, 11:14 AM
For about 15 years I commuted into Denver (50miles RT). And then went to mtns mostly and occasional Utah trips. I drove a Honda Civic which I think is a great car and gets 40 mpg. So I saved a LOT of money, and was able to access almost every Mountain or Desert TH I wanted.
I also used to ask a lot of questions about whether my car, or friend's Subaru's, could manage the Utah roads for canyons. The answer I got was 'well maybe'. Then we went out there and found out the answer was usually YES.
There are some exceptions obviously - but a Subaru with a carrier can take 3-4 people and gear and get most anywhere.

ratagonia
12-02-2014, 12:34 PM
To me gnarly desert dirt roads meant 4x4.... guess I was wrong... but then again I'm married so I'm used to being told I'm wrong ;-)

He's from ColoRAD-O. Says 'gnarly' every other sentence.

Jus' sayin'...

T

ActionPacker
12-02-2014, 06:04 PM
My buddy has a Prius and although I felt a big drain of manliness just getting into it we made the drive from SLC to Zion and back on a single tank of gas.

Not saying it's a canyon vehicle by any stretch, but when you are scrapping your pennies together for a trip to the desert....you learn to swallow your pride a little.[emoji51]

Only those who chance going too far... Tapatalk

skelley
12-02-2014, 06:15 PM
This guy in Boulder *already* has your van for $3500. Check the pics!

https://boulder.craigslist.org/cto/4786151356.html

Shane,
You're correct that initially I was looking for the "ideal canyoneering vehicle". I'm slowly realizing that my eyes are bigger than my wallet, so unfortunately I'm now looking for the "not ideal but still pretty good and also affordable canyoneering vehicle"

Iceaxe
12-02-2014, 06:34 PM
My buddy has a Prius

LMAO

Not a chance in hell you will ever catch me in a Prius. I pee standing up....

Slot Machine
12-02-2014, 06:37 PM
This guy in Boulder *already* has your van for $3500. Check the pics!

https://boulder.craigslist.org/cto/4786151356.html

If Bill Cosby was a canyoneer, that would be his post-canyon "special martini" van.

I'll bet if you look at the scent on the little pine tree hanging from the rear-view, it says 'rape'.

---

So Sam, what is the price range now? I'm determined to help.

ActionPacker
12-02-2014, 07:08 PM
LMAO

Not a chance in hell you will ever catch me in a Prius. I pee standing up....

I know, we gave him a long winded razzing for it:roflol: but it was the cheapest trip to hike Subway I ever had.:2thumbs:

Byron
12-02-2014, 08:12 PM
I'll say it again...anything less than a full sized truck just won't do. Screw the gas cost.

This picture...three guys, skiing/backpacking expedition, coolers, mountain bikes and plenty of room in the cab.

Bootboy
12-03-2014, 12:01 AM
I'll say it again...anything less than a full sized truck just won't do. Screw the gas cost.

This picture...three guys, skiing/backpacking expedition, coolers, mountain bikes and plenty of room in the cab.

Which is why I have a 4 door Tundra, and a 4Runner

Don
12-03-2014, 10:17 AM
As much as I still love my old Wrangler I'd have to say; avoid it. By the time you add a tent, sleeping gear, ropes, wetsuits, extra clothes, food, water, cooking gear, and a cooler full of beer you only have room left for 1 passenger.
I guess if you want to pony up for the 4-door it could work...

deagol
12-05-2014, 10:26 AM
you could keep your eyes on craigslist for an older 4x4 van. they turn up fairly cheaply once in a while.

horrible gas mileage, right?

Iceaxe
12-05-2014, 11:41 AM
horrible gas mileage, right?

Horrible is being kind....