PDA

View Full Version : Pine valley buck

2065toyota
10-25-2014, 11:51 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/25/c46c2445949f48f12fcfaca43ada8c8f.jpg

Pretty bad picture, but I got decent buck last night just before dark on Pine Valley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nelsonccc
10-27-2014, 09:29 AM
Nice. Congratulations. Gearing up for my 2 week pronghorn hunt on the plateau unit in a week.

oldno7
10-27-2014, 10:08 AM
Never fired a shot during the deer hunt.
My wife and I both had tags for Panguitch.
I had her pass on a few that later on she wished she had shot.
I never saw anything that tempted me.
We hiked a lot, was surprised at the lack of deer.

nelsonccc
10-27-2014, 01:10 PM

That's surprising to hear. I generally consider the Panguitch hunt to be my meat hunt. I see deer there nearly every time I'm there. Which part of the unit where you in? Seems like anything north of panguitch reservoir to the I20 is money for deer.

2065toyota
10-27-2014, 02:31 PM

We were spike elk hunting NW of Panguitch Lake and was surprised at how many mature bucks we seen in that area.

2065toyota
10-27-2014, 02:32 PM
Nice. Congratulations. Gearing up for my 2 week pronghorn hunt on the plateau unit in a week.

That will be a fun hunt. The area between Parker and Antimony seem to hold the most Antelope. Although some of the biggest I've seen over there were down along the road between Bryce and Antimony through Johnson Valley

oldno7
10-27-2014, 06:51 PM
That's surprising to hear. I generally consider the Panguitch hunt to be my meat hunt. I see deer there nearly every time I'm there. Which part of the unit where you in? Seems like anything north of panguitch reservoir to the I20 is money for deer.

We were looking for bigger bucks, 28"+
We hunted--Cottonwood MTN area,The head of Willow,Hole in the Rock to Parowan main canyon and various foothill spots.
We saw deer, we didn't see anything remotely big.

2065toyota
10-27-2014, 08:44 PM
It seemed like the deer were really high this year and moved down later than normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldno7
10-28-2014, 06:16 AM
The weather is definitely warm for deer.
We've had bucks in our yard every night, even during the hunt.
We put in more miles up higher(8-9000') than in the footrhills but saw way more deer in the lower country.
We never got much over 9000' and that may have been a mistake.

Anyway, our goal was to get in a lot of hikes, packing rifles and if the opportunity presented itself, to shoot larger deer.
We got in a lot of exercise. Is always nice being out with your wife, lots of guys don't get that opportunity.
Had a great hunt!

nelsonccc
10-30-2014, 12:59 PM
That will be a fun hunt. The area between Parker and Antimony seem to hold the most Antelope. Although some of the biggest I've seen over there were down along the road between Bryce and Antimony through Johnson Valley

Yeah I'm looking forward to it. I'll be up there from the 6th through the 17th. Can't wait. My kids keep making fun of me as I experiment with all my different camo layers in the house, hiding behind the house plants to see if they can 'see me' and they pretend I'm so well blended in that they cant.

The first area I'm checking out is the Bryce/Johns Valley area. First because its closest to vegas and second 'cause I'm familiar with the Pine Lake/Mt Dutton side of that area and I think I know of a place to seal the deal. If I'm unsuccessful there then I will be moving up to the other side of the plateau. I've got a few spots I'm banking on, mostly 3-4 miles away from roads, which is really hard to do up there with all the roads and trails!

I'm actually looking forward to some nasty weather! Supposed to be a big storm next weekend.

nelsonccc
10-30-2014, 01:01 PM
The weather is definitely warm for deer.
We've had bucks in our yard every night, even during the hunt.
We put in more miles up higher(8-9000') than in the footrhills but saw way more deer in the lower country.
We never got much over 9000' and that may have been a mistake.

Anyway, our goal was to get in a lot of hikes, packing rifles and if the opportunity presented itself, to shoot larger deer.
We got in a lot of exercise. Is always nice being out with your wife, lots of guys don't get that opportunity.
Had a great hunt!

I definitely don't see many 28"+ bucks up there but I'm never really looking for size, just freezer meat. It's my favorite unit to hunt in Utah, and the first choice for all my hunts!